BANGKOK 24 July 2019 00:57
snoop1130

British ambassador to Washington quits after spat over leaked memos

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, phantomfiddler said:

Darroch blew it. The whole purpose of a diplomat is to try and achieve your agenda without offending ANYONE !

He should have done it the Trump way .. and report that" many people say, many many people say : ……..tremendously clumsy and inept… ever in History…...blahblahblah"

Edited by Opl

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

As the spat between the two close allies intensified, Trump said he would no longer deal with the “very stupid” Darroch and called May “foolish”.

are we talking about the same Trump that visited the UK last month and didn't stop praising TM and the good job she has been doing

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

the ambassador was doing his job by reporting his findings, thumbs up to him and TM for defending him, the problem is Trump's EGO not accepting any criticism shows how immature he's

• Like 2

in such a short period of time Trump managed to destroy 100's+ years old alliances (France, UK, Germany, etc.) ... but looking on the good side he did managed to find a couple new allies / best friends (Kim Jong Un, Vlad)

• Confused 1

My goodness what a terrible place the UK has become. No shame at all. Fawning all over the ignorant, vulgar, boor Trump. My god when will this nation get a backbone and stop sticking its tongue into the backside of whomever is residing in the White House.

Having voted for Trump, it is easily conceivable that the Americans will vote for Dumbo the Elephant as President...it won't be too nice having your tongue in its bottom.

1 minute ago, Pedrogaz said:

My goodness what a terrible place the UK has become. No shame at all. Fawning all over the ignorant, vulgar, boor Trump. My god when will this nation get a backbone and stop sticking its tongue into the backside of whomever is residing in the White House.

Having voted for Trump, it is easily conceivable that the Americans will vote for Dumbo the Elephant as President...it won't be too nice having your tongue in its bottom.

I'm just having my dinner !!!!!!!

Do stop going on about tongues in <deleted>

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Mavideol said:

in such a short period of time Trump managed to destroy 100's+ years old alliances (France, UK, Germany, etc.) ... but looking on the good side he did managed to find a couple new allies / best friends (Kim Jong Un, Vlad)

I doubt very much that Kim Jong/Putin consider Trump to be their ally/friend.  More likely, they look at Trump as a "useful idiot." 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Berkshire said:

I doubt very much that Kim Jong/Putin consider Trump to be their ally/friend.  More likely, they look at Trump as a "useful idiot." 

In the case of Putin Trump is quite clearly an asset.

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, sanemax said:

And the new guy that takes over his job, can only say nice and agreeable things about Trump , in both public and private and he will have to give false info to the UK Government and not to do his job properly .

Quite funny that he stated that Trump was insecure and then Trump acted insecure and got him fired 

He had to resign once Trump excluded him. He made it impossible for him to do his job.  Pathetic little man not fit to lick the boots of the Ambassador.

• Like 1

If I fault Darroch on this issue, it is that his comments were too restrained. He undoubtedly underestimated the unbridled madness within the Trump White House. That said, Darroch himself appears to be a particularly unpleasant sort of fellow. At least according to this guy who is also a former British diplomat. Might be that Darroch and Trump have a lot in common???  

Kim Darroch is a rude and aggressive person, who is not pleasant at all to his subordinates. He rose to prominence within the FCO under New Labour at a time when right wing, pro-Israel foreign policy views and support for the Iraq War were important assets to career progress, as was the adoption of a strange “laddish” culture led from No. 10 by Alastair Campbell, involving swearing, football shirts and pretending to be working class (Darroch was privately educated). Macho management was suddenly the thing.      https://www.craigmurray.org.uk/archives/2019/07/kim-darroch-the-simple-explanation/

Well, there is one secret message about Trump licked. If someone would know all secret consular messages about Trump, 98% would be the same. Unfit for president, greatest danger for world peace, unpredictable, unreliable, limited ability to grasp complex situations, vindictive, megalomaniacal and often lies.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rosst said:

I beg to differ, his job is to advise his Government his opinions regarding the people, policies and political environment of his stewardship and then to carry out his instructions from his Government. 

This is what he was doing but some person broke their trust and disclosed his opinion which was given in confidence. 

THAT person needs to be hunted down and tried for spying, espionage. 

Absolutely correct. Well said!

Posted (edited)

Sad as this episode is, it could have serious fallout.  If this childish and very undiplomatic public spatting continues it would not be surprising to see the Orange One float the idea that if people don't stop calling him names the stupendous, exciting trade deal he's promised (what's left of) the UK post Brexit may be reconsidered, postponed or just dumped.  Whether or not he'd actually follow through on a threat of that nature may not matter, but the mere mention would send markets and in particular the GBP into serious decline for who knows how long.

Edited by Greenside
  • Thanks 1