Customs Department reports successful crackdown

webfact

Customs Department reports successful crackdown

By Supachai Phetchthewee
The Nation

cs.jpg

The Customs Department reported success in its crackdown on import tax evasion and the smuggling of banned items in June, leading to 1,798 cases worth Bt514 million in damages, which are now being prosecuted, department spokesman Chaiyuth Khamkhun announced at a press conference on Wednesday.

The 1,798 cases comprise 451 cases of smuggled brand-name products, cosmetics and agricultural products; 1,233 cases in which people avoided paying full tax on importing electrical appliances and other commodities; and 114 cases in which people smuggled prohibited items such as goods that violate the Property Rights Law, ivory and e-cigarettes. 

In addition to its efforts to suppress smuggling and import tax evasion, the Customs Department is also intercepting electronic and plastic garbage, Chaiyuth said. During 2018-2019, the agency made arrests and intercepted plastic garbage in 103 cases covering 4,043 tonnes worth Bt17 million, he added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372744

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-11

What other country various authorities holds endless little pressers with photo ops and diagrams, unless it's a massive bust like Epstien (if only we saw that here -and it wasn't related to a political foe).

This should be in some industry publication, it's not really news, it's a government department advertorial. 

Just get on with it, we don't need to know!

So that's what happened to the two birthday parcels my kids sent me about three months back! I did tell the kids not to bother, once bitten and all that.
Seems a bit unfair on your kids! Why not just pay the duty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Small Joke said:

What other country various authorities holds endless little pressers with photo ops and diagrams, unless it's a massive bust like Epstien (if only we saw that here -and it wasn't related to a political foe).

This should be in some industry publication, it's not really news, it's a government department advertorial. 

Just get on with it, we don't need to know!

Yep, just doing their job.  Traffic police take note, do yours ???? 

3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Seems a bit unfair on your kids! Why not just pay the duty?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Who do you blame?  Customs? Logistics providers? Post office?.  If you use tracking that mostly ends as "delivery attempt unsuccessful - returned" - straight int to black hole reserved for portable and attractive items.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:59 PM, jesimps said:

So that's what happened to the two birthday parcels my kids sent me about three months back! I did tell the kids not to bother, once bitten and all that.

I think i've shipped over a 100 packages from the US in the last 3 years here, with every imaginable item you could think of, including some limited edition Automatic Watches. Only one package got lost, and that was because USPS (i use them exclusively) lost it. I have also had only 3 of them come through with a request from Thai customs for a fee (based on weight only), each about 700-800 baht. Not bad in my estimation, so who are you using for shipping?

14 hours ago, Redline said:

Selective enforcement I’m sure-why is everything a crackdown?  They just can’t seem to do their jobs consistently 

Hearing the word crackdown so frequently does the authorities no favours whatsoever. It implies lawlessness and corruption to be situation normal here, plus it makes the country look like an oppressive regime to tourists. In most countries police do their jobs quietly without grandstanding or publicly finger pointing, and crackdowns would only apply in exceptional circumstances in the wake of a crime wave. Any repeated or ongoing crackdowns just showcase their long term ineptitude. 

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Hearing the word crackdown so frequently does the authorities no favours whatsoever. It implies lawlessness and corruption to be situation normal here, plus it makes the country look like an oppressive regime to tourists. In most countries police do their jobs quietly without grandstanding or publicly finger pointing, and crackdowns would only apply in exceptional circumstances in the wake of a crime wave. Any repeated or ongoing crackdowns just showcase their long term ineptitude. 

Well at least it gives them something to do - you know, grandstanding, photo 'ops, lunching, chit chat, comparing bank balances (the dodgy ones) etc, so not a complete waste of time to them - only to Thailand and proper policing, but no problems -that's not their job anyway. 

8 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

As I try to point out frequently here, with arguments from others on TV

Archived