Thailand facing its worst dengue outbreak in half a decade

webfact

I had dengue twice in my 10 years in Thailand. Apparently, second or third time round is hemorrhagic, often deadly. As already noted, fevers/chills, zero power to even go to the washroom or sip water. 

Aedes skitters were prevalent around sunset. I had a bowl of guppies on the balcony that seemed to keep them away. They like sweat but always attacked my ankles. I used that citronella bug spray...They also got my dogs around the ankles. 

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, banagan said:

Didn't know it was that bad, especially that it gets worse each time.

What are the high and low months?

Look at the graph in posting #9. My Thai is next to nothing but I think you can see there all months of a year. 

so where is the magical THAI cure for everything ? maybe CBD oil can help ? lol

60 people dead for the whole year ...

60 people die A DAY on the roads, but not emergency ...

if you start spraying DEED, you might get your disease earlier as this is disgustingly dangerous just like glyphosate sprayed on everything

1 hour ago, londonthai said:

There is vaccination for those living in tropics for a minimum 9 years and for those, who had already dengue. Costs 2-3k per shot, 3 are needed in space of year

I'm surprised the vaccine has only been mentioned once so far. I got my dengue shots before moving here and it cost around 40 AUD.

Why don't more people get the vaccine? Wouldn't most insurance policies cover it as well?

1 hour ago, hotchilli said:

Just take precautions & treat all mosquito species as potentially dangerous... why try to differentiate between one and another ?

Right, that´s the only solution. It sounded like you needed to do it in the news, though. On the other hand. You can´t trust the news. :cheesy:

2 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

Same thing in tropical Australia.,  "Mozzie police" have considerable power to enforce the elimination of potential breeding locations.  My cousin had a hilarious encounter with some who tried to tell her the fluid inside her pitcher plant flowers was a potential breeding location and wanted the plants destroyed!.  She dragged them inside and showed them a video if the plants life cycle to allay them!

I have my house here in Thailand fully screened.  I cannot figure out why more people don't do that. Economics rules out the lower group but many houses around me are not screened - - crazy!

I think it's bromiliads  (Sp?) which hold water but don't eat the swimmers, unlike pitcher plants.

Infected by dengue three months ago, two weeks in the apartment with all of the doors and windows covered air con on. Lethargic, weak difficulty walking and still very tired Doctor said that this malaise could go on for a year. Believe me pals it is a nasty fever with many deaths.   Beware the damn mozzie.

From Wikipedia:

Dengue vaccine is a vaccine to prevent dengue fever in humans. ... In 2017 the manufacturer recommended that the vaccine only be used in people who have previously had a dengue infection, as outcomes may be worsened in those who have not been previously infected.

21 minutes ago, Time to grow said:

From Wikipedia:

Dengue vaccine is a vaccine to prevent dengue fever in humans. ... In 2017 the manufacturer recommended that the vaccine only be used in people who have previously had a dengue infection, as outcomes may be worsened in those who have not been previously infected.

Encouraging, hey what

6 hours ago, Matzzon said:

I just wonder how many people of all ages are able to see the difference between mosquito speices, because that knowledge seems to be one of the criterias needed to follow and control according to the advice given?

You wonder do you? I wonder worry about you.  ????

59 minutes ago, johng50 said:

So they are not blaming Farangs for this, well not yet, give them time

they will find some way to blame them.

Thanks for the comment, I appreciate it.

You see, I come to this forum when I'm having a sh*t day. Then I read the usual garbage and get a boost that neither me nor my day ain't that bad, yet. Thanks again.

2 hours ago, Beggar said:

The Dengue mosquitoes fly at daytime. 

Ah, but they might know he shuts the doors and windows at those times and who in their right mind wants to risk an unfavourable lock-in!

4 hours ago, Tongjaw said:

2 years ago they fogged our village for mozzies. Two  months ago the wife   asked our local government office about doing it again. Reply was, If someone gets dengue in the village only then will they come out and fog. Talk about closing  the gate after the horse has bolted. 

I loves me a bit of mixed metaphor magic.

"Where?

There, right there... a little mouse with clogs on..."

5 hours ago, mikebell said:

More spouting of the bleedin' obvious!  Any tips on how to avoid bites?  Brand names of effective repellents?  Effective pesticides? 

Draining breeding grounds in gardens is easy, but how do you do it in Isaan where the whole area is under water for months on end?

Really?

Do you live here or have you ever been to Isaan?

------------

Dengue carriers are dawn, daytime and dusk.

Not night time which is the malarial carrier.

Cover up rather than walking about in your swim shorts.

9 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Had dengue a few years back...bedridden for 2 weeks, too weak to walk more than a few steps...less than 100% power for months after...nasty stuff...

I got it 5 years ago. Just joint pain, fever and fatigue. 

But with drinking a lot of mineral water it was done within 10 days. 

I can't say it was a big deal. 

7 hours ago, masuk said:

Singapore handles mosquito breeding sites with the use of 'mosquito police'.  they check apartments, houses, everywhere for containers of water lying around or pot plants and even some plants which hold water.

Yes. They also go onto the roof if the top of the building is flat and issue fines to transgressors. In Pattaya I've seen large puddles of water sitting for days/weeks on uneven flat roofs. Also abandoned buildings where the swimming pools are half full with stagnant water. Who do you get in touch with?

I red internet, there is no vaccine against dengue, so Thai manufacturer? getting rich from nothing?

someone said and was to be found on internet, plants, like the leaf of the papaya makes it better.

Yesterday i saw it in Thaivisa, someone mentioned it, so i checked.

If you like read this one: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5607393/

THailand see an increase of the mosquito, destroying breed holes (puddles) ok, good.

But why not like in South America breed males who cant reproduce? They grow millions of them and 

let them out in mating season. No more eggs, producing mosquitos !

They did this to prevent mosquitoes to spread Zika virus. Virus infects unborn child.

The mosquitoes can provide many diseases, they are a pain in the ...body. 

Males dont suck blood, only the females. :cheesy::cheesy:

7 hours ago, mikebell said:

More spouting of the bleedin' obvious!  Any tips on how to avoid bites?  Brand names of effective repellents?  Effective pesticides? 

Draining breeding grounds in gardens is easy, but how do you do it in Isaan where the whole area is under water for months on end?

I have heard Papaya leaves boiled up and drink when you get this horrible 

6 hours ago, aussiebrian said:

Mosquito larvae need to breathe ,a thin coating of oil on to the top of the water kills them pretty quick. Vegetable oil works well. You don't need much 

Also make sure your gutters on your roof are not holding any water, or anything lying around the place.

Make sure you have fish in water in any ponds or plants that need to sit in water will also eat them.

6 hours ago, aussiebrian said:

Mosquito larvae need to breathe ,a thin coating of oil on to the top of the water kills them pretty quick. Vegetable oil works well. You don't need much 

Also make sure your gutters on your roof are not holding any water, or anything lying around the place.

Make sure you have fish in water in any ponds or plants that need to sit in water will also eat them.

I can remember years ago when living down south the old dear next door had water pots full of rain water, when I looked I and saw little fish swimming around I mentioned it to the one that was,she said the little fish eat all the mosquito eggs.

I had Dengue here in Thailand 6 years ago- no fun at all but my understanding is that there are 4 types of the virus- DENV-1, -2, -3 & -4 & having been infected with one type you acquire lifelong immunity to that particular type virus. If, however, you become infected with one of the other types of the virus you have no immunity to that & your symptoms are intensified.

Archived