thai words rhyming with farang

Tim207

Want a semi cute amusing phrase along the lines of once you go black you never go back. i am terrible at rhymes and can't find any resources for thai rhymes. This is meant to be cute and amusing with close middle class friends, don't want anything vulgar or insinuating. Preferably written in Thai script, i hate trying to decipher transliterations. ????

some rhyming words, a resource to find them myself, or a whole saying, anything would be appreciated

Thanks

3 hours ago, Perhaps2more said:

ดูช้างให้ดูหาง ดูนางให้ดูแม่

"คำพังเพย" from http://www.สุภาษิต.net/category/สุภาษิตไทย/

interesting website but i fail to see the relevance. i am, however, pretty dense reguarding poetry and symbolism.

look at elephant see tail, look at wife see mother????

4 hours ago, Tim207 said:

interesting website but i fail to see the relevance. i am, however, pretty dense reguarding poetry and symbolism.

look at elephant see tail, look at wife see mother????

These are proverbs, rhymes, in Thai. 

” ดูช้างให้ดูหาง “ ให้ดูหางช้าง ที่บอกลักษณะว่าเป็นช้างธรรมดา หรือช้างเผือก

คนโบราณ (ดู"ช้าง"ให้ดูที่หาง) จะดูเวลาช้างพัง ตกลูกเป็นช้างเผือก  

พวกช้าง จะช่วยกันย้อมกายของลูกมัน ใช้ใบไม้หรือขี้โคลนดำๆ พ่นทับให้สีเผือก กลายเป็นสีนิล เพื่อไม่ให้คนรู้ แต่จะมีร่องรอยอยู่อย่างหนึ่ง คือ ที่หางจะมีสีขาวหลงเหลืออยู่
คนโบราณ (ดู"นาง"ให้ดูแม่)  จะดูผู้หญิงที่จะมาเป็น สะใภ้ ในบ้านต้องดูที่ นิสัยใจคอ งานบ้านงานเรือน และกริยามารยาท ของ"แม่" ด้วย

ดูช้างให้ดูหาง ดูนางให้ดูแม่...."หาง" rhymes with "นาง" 

In choosing a woman they suggest that you should also look at her mother because their characters are very likely to be similar.

Here is another one :

หนุ่มทั้งแท่งมากินแตงเถาตาย

แท่ง rhymes with แตง

"แท่ง" is a block of something .... ทั้งแท่ง = the whole thing

"แตงเถา" is marrow type plants ...ตาย = dead

using marrows probably has something to do with woman breasts.

แตงเถา ตาย... a dead old marrow plant 

meaning :

a young man having a much older woman (usually a widow) as a wife.

A little off topic since we are talking about rhymes but I will try to explain. 

ดูช้างให้ดูหาง ดูนางให้ดูแม่ 

Is about not being deceived. 

I seem to recall that a white elephant is supposed to be given to the king or at any rate cannot be kept by it’s owner so if one is born it will be a loss to the owner.  In that case it might be disguised by dyeing it (ย้อมกาย).  Apparently evidence of whiteness will be retained in the area of the tail so if you don’t want to be fooled into owning a white elephant check it’s tail area. 

Daughters turn out like their mothers so don’t be fooled. 

Thanks tgeezer, that makes sense. The thing about white elephants is they are either automatically property of the king or they are holy (or both), i cant remember which. They can not be used for work but must be fed and cared for so an ongoing money drain.

To get even more off topic, the king would give those he favored the gift of the honor of caring for one or more white elephants along with a grant of land to offset the cost. As a backhanded punishment to a noble that displeased him he would bestow this great honor without the land grant to offset the financial burden.

Archived