Entertainment tourism: Pattaya for Europeans is over - 30% down this year, official

webfact

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I disagree. July and August are still low season for Pattaya. It might be the school holidays in Europe, but that is not Pattaya's market! The test will come in high season - November/December/January.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Right.  Why would anyone in Europe come to Thailand in July or August?  Those are 2 of the few months when Europeans can put on shorts and be outside and enjoy warm weather.  My partner and I were in Paris the very end of April--almost May, for goodness sake--and we still had to bundle up with jackets, scarves and gloves and almost froze on a boat ride on the Seine.   If I lived in Europe I would savor July and August and look forward to getting away to Thailand in the horrible winter months.

42 minutes ago, thaiThai1970 said:

Pattaya's best days are long gone. I can't see any recovery happening in the near future. Maybe in the distant future but it's going to take a lot.

In 2009, Pattaya ST was 500bht, and I had a pension of 50,000bht to spend.

In 2019, Pattaya ST is 1,500bht, and I have a pension of 38,000bht to spend.

Unless my pension suddenly increases to 150,000bht, I won't be visiting Pattaya ever again.

I'm betting there's few posters whose Baht value of their pensions have risen significantly since 2009.

Nothing more needs to be discussed, we white folk are all in the same boat, and it's sinking fast.

8 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

In 2009, Pattaya ST was 500bht, and I had a pension of 50,000bht to spend.

In 2019, Pattaya ST is 1,500bht, and I have a pension of 38,000bht to spend.

Unless my pension suddenly increases to 150,000bht, I won't be visiting Pattaya ever again.

I'm betting there's few posters whose Baht value of their pensions have risen significantly since 2009.

Nothing more needs to be discussed, we white folk are all in the same boat, and it's sinking fast.

Scratch 'all'.  The annual cost of living raises on my pensions are keeping me out of your sinking boat, at least for now.

46 minutes ago, newnative said:

Right.  Why would anyone in Europe come to Thailand in July or August?  Those are 2 of the few months when Europeans can put on shorts and be outside and enjoy warm weather.  My partner and I were in Paris the very end of April--almost May, for goodness sake--and we still had to bundle up with jackets, scarves and gloves and almost froze on a boat ride on the Seine.   If I lived in Europe I would savor July and August and look forward to getting away to Thailand in the horrible winter months.

Tell you what it's hammering down rain here in North Wales.surely you know why guys go to Pattaya.

• 4 weeks later...
On 7/19/2019 at 4:22 PM, adammike said:

Tell you what it's hammering down rain here in North Wales.surely you know why guys go to Pattaya.

Well I would not choose Pattaya instead of the Mediterranean in summer months . But while July /August certainly do not compare in tourist numbers to the high season. There has been in past increased European visitors in August. Does not look like it this summer. 

Pattaya? Walking Street? Was there just last night, it felt like being in Mumbai to be honest and even in Simon 1 Bar Complex, 3 bars are currently out for sale/rent while 1 is under renewing/cleaning.

Pattaya is dead unless you take a stroll to LK Metro/Soi Buakhao, and even then it's only a shade of it's former glory, past 3AM everything is closed, shut down and pitch black, think Billabong and such.

Pattaya is done.

7 minutes ago, tcp7 said:

Pattaya? Walking Street? Was there just last night, it felt like being in Mumbai to be honest and even in Simon 1 Bar Complex, 3 bars are currently out for sale/rent while 1 is under renewing/cleaning.

Pattaya is dead unless you take a stroll to LK Metro/Soi Buakhao, and even then it's only a shade of it's former glory, past 3AM everything is closed, shut down and pitch black, think Billabong and such.

Pattaya is done.

Well I was there Wednesday night, quite a few venues were quiet, but I would not have described it as dead. It was easier to get company than usual and for me that was a plus! Couldn't get a seat at one place.

23 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

Well I was there Wednesday night, quite a few venues were quiet, but I would not have described it as dead. It was easier to get company than usual and for me that was a plus! Couldn't get a seat at one place.

Couldn't get a seat at one place, yes, one place!

a few places are always busy, but the vast majority are dire! 

3 hours ago, morrobay said:

Well I would not choose Pattaya instead of the Mediterranean in summer months . But while July /August certainly do not compare in tourist numbers to the high season. There has been in past increased European visitors in August. Does not look like it this summer. 

A Thai friend of mine just had a holiday in Majorca she said the place was packed the beaches full and cheaper to eat and drink she was telling me yesterday, see now you know why farang are not coming to Phuket

My own daughter has not been to Thailand for 12 years she says it's boring she can fly to Ibiza for a week none stop partying 

1 hour ago, ChipButty said:

A Thai friend of mine just had a holiday in Majorca she said the place was packed the beaches full and cheaper to eat and drink she was telling me yesterday, see now you know why farang are not coming to Phuket

My own daughter has not been to Thailand for 12 years she says it's boring she can fly to Ibiza for a week none stop partying 

My wife and I went to Tenerife last year , she loved the food and the climate and wouldn’t mind retiring there when we are done working . I love spain 

I had to go into Tesco N Pattaya yesterday to the bank ,went to the food hall to get a coffee ,noticed again how dead it was ,this was lunchtime ,as i was getting my coffee ,noticed that the fries place next to it was closed ,also two fast food places at the end closed ,anyway spoke to the coffee girl ,she said yes Pattaya dead now no tourists any more ,we used to get lots ,anyway enjoy your coffee ,we close up tomorrow .after so many years here .

recently while we have been in town ,ive noticed its just getting deader and deader ,that is except for the weekend crowd coming for Central and T21.

a friend also just cancelled ,Baht to strong .

On 7/11/2019 at 8:41 AM, webfact said:

He said that compared to last year there are between 20 and 30% less tourists this low season.  

He said that it was obvious to anyone - beer bars, nightclubs, pubs and other bars were all but empty. 

Cheer up; Pattaya has a real chance of becoming that enchanted, sleepy, little fishing village again...

On July 11, 2019 at 1:50 AM, BritManToo said:

Pattaya only ever had sex to offer, the beach is dirty and the sea is disgusting.

Da Nang has no sex on offer, the beach is beautiful and the sea is clean.

beach day.jpg

Danang has plenty of sex on offer, plenty beleive me, it's just not in you're face like Thailand. And kudos to that! 

Love danang!

On July 11, 2019 at 2:42 AM, Hogs said:

Just got back from patts not been there for 2 years 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE and not a positive one,

the place is depressed and empty, the beach road is filled with Indians in gangs molesting the girls.

I thought CM was Bad but Patts is not much better these days 

You nailed it! Ten ring!

On 7/11/2019 at 9:14 AM, BestB said:

Look on the bright side , Thailand is finally on the right tracks to salvation.

TAT admits tourist numbers are down

BOT admits economy is in bad shape 

Pattaya admits all local businesses are suffering which mind you must be total shock to our local Thai visa experts who always claim how busy it really is 

TOT cuts phone lines and taking a month to fix it .

So perhaps not all that bad, something positive is coming out from all of it????????

I wonder what is bad for us (expats) if Pattaya dies a little? What are the expats so concerned about? From a purely selfish point of view, the worse the local and Thailand's economy, the better of I am. Easier to find good deals on rent and most other things. Unfortunately the lower tourist numbers haven't resulted in less congested streets. There are more buses than ever.

There are only 2 reasons that Westerners are staying away from Pattaya. The strength of the Baht and the greed of people like Damrongkiat Phinitkarn and members of the  Entertainment Industry and Tourism Association of Pattaya. Prices continue to rise exponentially, service continues to fall exponentially and Westerners stay away exponentiontially. I'm surprised that he didn't mention that.

pattaya is running down

reason

The NON sex expat have many many other better choices

The sex expat , is not wanted by the goverment 

but for sex expats, pattaya still the best for normal sex expats..other places running down more quickly and prices at same level

and exotic destinations ,where i was this and last year,where the girls still 500thb , a big beer i  a disco 60 thb , and no barfines and no ladydrinsks, beautiful mulat girls, are to diffcult to reach or out of mind of a standard sex tourist. The last two years went to an island, beautiful nature and beaches very good clima in the summer , save and tropical ( posted pics bfr)

and the flight from bangkok was only 20k thb.............

Archived