Jump to content
BANGKOK 18 July 2019 08:02
webfact

Entertainment tourism: Pattaya for Europeans is over - 30% down this year, official

Recommended Posts

On 7/11/2019 at 9:05 AM, darksidedog said:

Pattaya as we know it does indeed seem to be dying. Aside from issues mentioned in the post above, is that Pattaya was popular with Europeans, Australians and Americans because it was the city of sin. Attempts to make it a clean family resort are doomed to failure given only a fool would swim in its filthy waters, and the strategy makes other places far more appealing.

Quite. i went down to Pattaya this morning and we went for breakfast in the Lek, I went straight to the cashier and said 5 persons and her face lit up. When I turned round there were only 12 others in the dining room and 10 of them were sat alone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Quite. i went down to Pattaya this morning and we went for breakfast in the Lek, I went straight to the cashier and said 5 persons and her face lit up. When I turned round there were only 12 others in the dining room and 10 of them were sat alone.

So how was your breakfast?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Destiny1990 said:

So how was your breakfast?

The quality and selection certainly drops with the reduced customer base but at 120 baht good enough for me. The family like meals where they can eat as much as they like so no complaints from them either.

No pushing and shoving at the servery is a bit of a bonus.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/11/2019 at 3:44 PM, marcusarelus said:

And how is the baht devalued?  List the steps please.  

If you don’t know then go back to school and study economics.... I aint a charity ...Thai economy is overinflated ... Or maybe you work for JPMC and you have a lorry full of Baht

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, seasia said:

 

 

I have chosen Italy for a 4 month break from Thailand.So far so good.

 

Very few have mentioned Italy as an option for retirement, how come? 

 

I have also just been thinking about Portugal and Spain, but if you comparing those three countries, what do you think? 

 

Living cost and quality exempt vine and tobacco. As an Europeen, I have all rights there. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tagged said:

Very few have mentioned Italy as an option for retirement, how come? 

 

I have also just been thinking about Portugal and Spain, but if you comparing those three countries, what do you think? 

 

Living cost and quality exempt vine and tobacco. As an Europeen, I have all rights there. 

I don't like Italians in general.

i feel more for Spanish individuals.

i don’t think much price difference these 3 countries u can live for small or big money every month..

i dont base my relocation on the price difference of a pack of cigarettes. 

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, denby45 said:

https://www.samuiforsale.com/law-texts/thailand-hotel-act-2004-translation.html

 

I am not seeing anything in there that says the mixing of hotel and condos is illegal.

 

 

Den

     I didn't say anything about 'mixing of hotels and condos'.  If you own a condo, in a condo project registered as a 'condominium' at the Land Office, it is illegal under the Thai Hotel Act to rent your condo for a period of less than 30 days.

    A few weeks ago I witnessed a raid by police at a condo project in Bangkok.  They fined the owners doing the illegal short-term rentals and they also fined the renters because the owners had not reported their addresses to Immigration, as required by law.   Of course, many are doing illegal short-term rentals in condominiums but it is illegal.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Destiny1990 said:

I don't like Italians in general.

i feel more for Spanish individuals.

i don’t think much price difference these 3 countries u can live for small or big money every month..

i dont base my relocation on the price difference of a pack of cigarettes. 

You can buy your house and own it there . You can use the health care system for free, you can work any job there , you have every right a local has . The food is excellent . To be totally honest it’s probably cheaper for everyday living then Phuket . Your family does not have to wade through hookerville when they come to visit making the assumption that your missis came from one of the bars ... it’s a win win 

Edited by chrisandsu
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

You can buy your house and own it there . You can use the health care system for free, you can work any job there , you have every right a local has . The food is excellent . To be totally honest it’s probably cheaper for everyday living then Phuket . Your family does not have to wade through hookerville when they come to visit making the assumption that your missis came from one of the bars ... it’s a win win 

Yes some valuable points just not a fan of Italie in particular.

Spain I could see myself living there easily.

But for now am considering firstly Vietnam. Nowadays we have lots of options.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, SuwadeeS said:

Look. There are many things happen here right now.


First of all, Pattaya does not get better. Then the artificially strong Thai baht. Probably made up by the rich elite to buy cheap euros and dollars, before the Thai baht crashes at some point. If you take it exactly, and look at the economy, then the Thai Baht would have to stand for the dollar by 1:50.
Next point is the Dual Pricing. Why do Thais always think foreigners do not notice that? So stupid. As a result, they upset the few tourists they have. Then the ever stricter visa requirements for retirees, etc.

Well, they have never been good at mathematics. As average, a retiree brings 50,000 baht in foreign currency per month into Thailand economy. That's 600,000 Baht per pensioner per year.
If only I now estimate 200,000 retirees who moved. Then 120,000,000,000 baht (120 billion baht) of foreign currency per year are gone.
Here are not even the tourists included, which I have denigrated with rip-off, dual pricing and fraud.
My cautious estimate is about 10,000,000 tourists that Thailand has lost sustainably during the last 5 years because of this rip-off. Estimated loss is about 1.000,000,000,000 baht.
All in all, the loss for the Thai economy amounts to approximately 1.120,000,000,000 baht per year. Even thought and converted into Dollar it is still a lot of money. 

My theory can be proven by walking with open eyes and see all the shut down shops everywhere.
This can not be compensated by a few Chinese or Indian package tourists.


You have to change the attitude of the Thais towards the business methods.

But since Thai attitute will never accept foreign advice.....

well, may the last turn off the light.

Yes, the "dumb farangs" are voting with their feet, and I can neither agree or disagree with your numbers re pensioners/ex pats, but I can agree re the currency that each one pumps into the Thai economy every year, and in total it is bound to be a hefty sum indeed! 

 

I can also bear witness to the fact that over the last few years the number of tourists have been consistently decreasing on a regular basis - as can be seen by the empty streets, and the number of empty bars/restaurants up for sale. (Despite TAT's regular claims to the contrary)

 

I read somewhere that the latest requirements regarding keeping money in a Thai bank for 6 months rather than 3 months, and half of it to be kept there all year were brought about by a few people skipping out on their hospital bills. That makes complete sense to me, as those people were probably tourists, and a typical knee jerk reaction by the Thai Government to penalise the wrong people altogether, as ex pats/pensioners have to report regularly to Immigration, who are well aware of where they live!

 

A bit like the incident that happened a few years ago when a railway steward/employee that had a history of drug abuse and criminal behaviour raped a young girl and killed her by throwing her off the train. The solution - not put a system in place to vet prospective future employees, but just to ban drink  on all trains!

 

I foresee much wringing of hands in the next few months!

Edited by sambum

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Bremser said:

You are saying there are lot of alternatives to Pattaya and name for example Vietnam.

 

But I guess if you are boarding here to make holiday for party and sex you don't find to many alternatives around for the same costs. The only I can think is Angeles City, but there you don't have an infrastructure as in Patts.

 

Or did you come across other places you can do it with that budget you need in Pattaya?

Agree, it goes down year by year, but for those tourists with the focus on party/sex it is most propably still the best place to be.

 

 

But if I see something wrong, I am absolutely open to other opinions.

Cheers :omfg:

How right you are. When it comes to Party/"Entertainement", there is still no other place on this globe that even comes close to Pattaya. Strictly only considering things like Price/Reward/Infrastructure within the "Nighttime-Entertainement" Tourist sector, well understood.


Anyone, having found a place where the Price/Reward/Infrastructure Ratio is better than Pattaya concerning "Nighttime-Entertainment" should boldly step foreward and let the world know.

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Will soon leave for another Holiday to Pattaya. Have Skyped with a couple Farang-Friends them living in "my" Pattaya neighborhood. They claim this low-season is "slow", but not slower than last year at the same time. About as busy/slow as last year.
Prices unchanged (Hotels, Beer, Ladies, Farang Food.) Everything same same.
 
- I guess it depends a lot WHERE one stays in Pattaya. No, I don't stay in some hidden corner of "the dark-side", nor do I hang around "the Black-Holes" of Pattaya much (WS/Soi6 etc etc).
Well, I am curious. Will soon find out for myself.
What did the real-estate guy tell us? It's all about location, location, location.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, swissie said:

How right you are. When it comes to Party/"Entertainement", there is still no other place on this globe that even comes close to Pattaya. Strictly only considering things like Price/Reward/Infrastructure within the "Nighttime-Entertainement" Tourist sector, well understood.


Anyone, having found a place where the Price/Reward/Infrastructure Ratio is better than Pattaya concerning "Nighttime-Entertainment" should boldly step foreward and let the world know.

Are you talk about these overpriced gogobars in Walking street? Price reward infrastructure??

Many have left because hassle with their visa extensions..

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, swissie said:

Will soon leave for another Holiday to Pattaya. Have Skyped with a couple Farang-Friends them living in "my" Pattaya neighborhood. They claim this low-season is "slow", but not slower than last year at the same time. About as busy/slow as last year.
Prices unchanged (Hotels, Beer, Ladies, Farang Food.) Everything same same.
 
- I guess it depends a lot WHERE one stays in Pattaya. No, I don't stay in some hidden corner of "the dark-side", nor do I hang around "the Black-Holes" of Pattaya much (WS/Soi6 etc etc).
Well, I am curious. Will soon find out for myself.
What did the real-estate guy tell us? It's all about location, location, location.

They admitted it is 30% down what is it you don’t understand??

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...