BANGKOK 18 July 2019 08:01
webfact

Entertainment tourism: Pattaya for Europeans is over - 30% down this year, official

20 hours ago, newnative said:

Erm no, I didn't.  That is not an accurate quote from any of my posts.  I would not have used the word 'apartments', for one.  I'm from America and we usually call condos 'condos', not apartments.  Apartments are almost always considered rental units in America--usually the whole apartment complex is owned by a single company.  I would never call a condo an apartment because I always think of an apartment as something you only rent.  Occasionally apartments in America will 'go condo'. The apartment complex owner decides to get out of the business and he sells the apartments--which turn from apartments into condos.

In addition, the quote you say is mine is not really grammatically correct, the language is awkward, and it sounds like it came from someone with a native language that is not English.  And, I would not have used the prostitution reference. Or call something 'Chinese group hotels'--not a term I would use and I'm not even sure what it is referencing.

I have said several times that people are buying 10, 20, 30 or more condos in new projects and they are setting up what amounts to illegal hotel operations within the condo projects.  You have to be renting multiple illegal units to make any real money with illegal short-term rentals.  As I have also said before, how many 1 room hotels do you know?

Whether it's multiple units or just one unit, renting a condo for less than a month is illegal under Thai law.  But, unfortunately, it is being done a lot and that results in your situation--living in what is suppose to be a residence but in reality is part residence and part hotel.  I, for one, hate that this illegal activity is going on.  I don't want to live in a hotel.

I know you were not the original poster of the quote it was a post by carabaothai He wrote

"Why in a condominium? Because the real estate investor stopped one day to sell the apartments and transformed the condominium in Chinese group hotels.

And a lot of condominium are like this in Pattaya, half condos, half hotels.

Illegal but... like prostitution, illegal"

I then posed the question "I didn't know it was illegal. Where is this written? I have the same problem where I live."

You replied in your post "It's in the Hotel Act" thereby misleading us.

Is it clear now what you wrote are are you going to deny it again.

Den

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 9:06 AM, LivinLOS said:

Yes yes.. everyone goes to Pattaya for the festivals !!! Its the new 'golf'.. 

I guess, the idea of the festivals was to attract Thai tourists, e.g. from Bangkok, but it seems that even they find Pattaya now too boring and dirty...

On 7/11/2019 at 9:36 AM, chrisandsu said:

Europeans just don’t have the money anymore . It’s that simple . It’s not only Pattaya that’s suffering as Pattaya is still cheap compared to Phuket  .

Same old; can't manage own affairs or growth, blame others, esp. foreigners...

I know enough Europeans who earn their money in Thailand, but don't go to Pattaya anymore. For them, obviously, exchange rates do not matter.

21 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

Same old; can't manage own affairs or growth, blame others, esp. foreigners...

I know enough Europeans who earn their money in Thailand, but don't go to Pattaya anymore. For them, obviously, exchange rates do not matter.

Many European Countries have in recent years very strong Economies with its citizens easily to afford long travels however nowadays  there is lots of choice in Asian destinations. 

Edited by Destiny1990
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, denby45 said:

I know you were not the original poster of the quote it was a post by carabaothai He wrote

"Why in a condominium? Because the real estate investor stopped one day to sell the apartments and transformed the condominium in Chinese group hotels.

And a lot of condominium are like this in Pattaya, half condos, half hotels.

Illegal but... like prostitution, illegal"

I then posed the question "I didn't know it was illegal. Where is this written? I have the same problem where I live."

You replied in your post "It's in the Hotel Act" thereby misleading us.

Is it clear now what you wrote are are you going to deny it again.

Den

Where am I misleading you?  You asked where it is written that it is illegal to rent rooms for less than 30 days.  The answer is the Thai Hotel Act, which is what I said before and will say again and have never denied saying.  Perhaps you are confused because you think it should be in the Thai Condominium Act but it is in the Thai Hotel Act.  The main point is not where in Thai law it is written but that it prohibits condos from being rented for less than 30 days.  I think we are both in agreement that having short-term illegal rentals in condominium projects is not a good thing.  The Thai government thinks it's not good, too; hence, the law prohibiting it.  Pity the law is not being enforced well.

Thank you for clarifying that the quote you attributed to me was actually written by someone else but next time why not quote correctly to start?  I hate when I am quoted incorrectly but it's even worse when someone else's comments are incorrectly stated to be mine.