Entertainment tourism: Pattaya for Europeans is over - 30% down this year, official

webfact

26 minutes ago, fhickson said:

the question is where is everybody going now? likely not vietnam or cambodia

I don't think the mongers are going anywhere, unless there is another Pattaya of yester year somewhere that I don't know about. OR, they are still coming to Thailand and getting a "date" on the internet.

Anyway, sex androids will be available in the not so distant future, and they are going to change EVERYTHING.

• Replies 410
  • Created
  • Last Reply
57 minutes ago, nev said:

What do they expect limiting the amount of visa's the tourist who flocked to Pattaya use to stay there and refusing entry for to many stamps, For many years I used to work two months then a month Pattaya around 4 visits per year I would be hard pressed to achieve that now.

So true, Who will want to attach himself emotionally to a place that will later lock him in an airport cell and kick him out like some sort of an international criminal..

3 hours ago, webfact said:

He said that it was obvious to anyone - beer bars, nightclubs, pubs and other bars were all but empty. 

don't expect Chinese and Indians to fill them up, it's not their cup of tea

19 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

That's what i said.

It's about value for money - it's not because you are suddenly too poor for Pattaya. But you get way better stuff for the same in greece and co. including daily flights.

My currency? I earn USD, couldn't care less about the EUR. 

But europeans also come in record numbers to the US, Turkey and the USA are the most sought after holiday destinations outside of Europe.

The US is expensive but you get to see a lot for that, and you have all the same ammenities Europeans like - Californian wine and a good USD Prime Steak is cheaper in the US than here.

Turkey and Egypt have the same kind of beaches Thailand has, as good for diving and snorkeling so there's no reason anymore to spend twice the amount of money on a flight to Thailand just to get scammed here.

Do turkey and Egypt have any attainable female company ?

53 minutes ago, Small Joke said:

I was there at Songkran, it was a cautious return after swearing off it for over a decade due to shitty local attitudes, and the Russian boor invasion.

A farang bar manager said it was his worst Songkran ever.

I thought the first afternoon of the watersports in Soi 6 would be fun.

It was of course, but the bar I was in, chosen for having one of the top rated online reviews, had literally myself and two other geezers all afternoon.

They were glued to their phones.

But at least the girls left us in peace, distracted by playing their splashy nonsense at the door, and getting their house drinks for free.

On the beachfront that weekend, mostly poorer Thai/Burmese picnics, and scores of Indian guys, and a few obvious local sexypats.

The Soi Bukaow area, a few more white guys, but by and large, two maybe three heads in a few bars, some sexypat places had more, but then again, these are local guys, the bar zone between Bukaow and the Central Festival Mall seemed to have only bargirls farang hubby's as the sole customer in many.

I did enjoy the floor shows upstairs at Windmill and Kink but it looks like they're not going to last since the brownshirts were reshuffled.

I'm pretty sure my hotel in Soi 8 was not even a third full. Given the traffic in the lobby and lift.

But, it was nice not to have it being completely insane, the only visit I ever really enjoyed in the last twenty years since I first had a look.

You sound like a real tourist - and of course no sexpat.

You go to Pattaya on Songkran - 555

It seems you go to a bar and then care more about the other geezers than the girls - strange.

And of course you are not one of the guys who have sex and/or girls on their mind.

Why do you visit Pattaya?

3 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Pattaya is turning into Fisherman's Wharf, sans the cable cars, street mimes, and sour dough bread. Anyone looking for sea lions need only look at who's tending bar in most drinking establishments.

Yes had a few wallow over my way last night. 

Just now, jacko45k said:

Yes had a few wallow over my way last night. 

4 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

Pattaya is turning into Fisherman's Wharf, sans the cable cars, street mimes, and sour dough bread. Anyone looking for sea lions need only look at who's tending bar in most drinking establishments.

And just about as many Gays as SF !! ????

18 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Anyway, sex androids will be available in the not so distant future, and they are going to change EVERYTHING.

Instructions unclear, tried to insert penis in tablet USB port, calling ambulance now...

17 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I don't think the mongers are going anywhere, unless there is another Pattaya of yester year somewhere that I don't know about. OR, they are still coming to Thailand and getting a "date" on the internet.

???? Maintenance facilities based in Thailand ? ????

20 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

Do turkey and Egypt have any attainable female company ?

Prostitution is legal and regulated in Turkey. Women have to register and do STD tests.

Whoremongering is dead tho, young people and most tourists in general don't care about that stuff.

53 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

Hua Hin is still on the rise with tourists because this is a chick flick, couples, families and HiSo destination.

Very little red light here and the girls are the same ones you met in the 80s and 90s.

They must be pretty old now. No wonder that there is little red light. Is for sure better to hide their wrinkles. 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Pattaya as we know it does indeed seem to be dying. Aside from issues mentioned in the post above, is that Pattaya was popular with Europeans, Australians and Americans because it was the city of sin. Attempts to make it a clean family resort are doomed to failure given only a fool would swim in its filthy waters, and the strategy makes other places far more appealing.

+++++++++ it  was  easy  to  stay there for a  long  spell,  but  thats  all  gone,  they've  cut  their  own  throats, tough titties.

1 hour ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Turkey and Egypt have the same kind of beaches Thailand has, as good for diving and snorkeling so there's no reason anymore to spend twice the amount of money on a flight to Thailand just to get scammed here.

I did most of my diving qualifications in Egypt, but even then, (2000's) if you wanted to visit the Valley Of The Kings, you go at 6am and form an armed convoy to get there. Sharm El Sheikh has been bombed too many times, Taba is too close to Siniai, which leaves Hurghada and it's as dull as ditchwater.

All inclusives where you never leave the resort are the only feasible holiday in Egypt now.

4 hours ago, webfact said:

The days of Europeans visiting Pattaya in large numbers for the entertainment industry are gone. 

When the welcome mat actually says, "Leave your money, now get out!  Your cash is welcome, but you farang, are not!!!", eventually people get the message.

1 hour ago, NCC1701A said:

Hua Hin is still on the rise with tourists because this is a chick flick, couples, families and HiSo destination.

Very little red light here and the girls are the same ones you met in the 80s and 90s.

Which would make them in their sixties now.

really...I thought your standards were higher than this.

Rooster

38 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Prostitution is legal and regulated in Turkey. Women have to register and do STD tests.

Whoremongering is dead tho, young people and most tourists in general don't care about that stuff.

They do care about seeing females . If you are a young guy travelling you really don’t want a sausage fest !not unless they have all turned into beta males . I’m in my 30s and couldn’t think of anything worse then being in a country where there is no women on show . 

4 hours ago, darksidedog said:

Attempts to make it a clean family resort are doomed to failure

Actually, should it be a successful strategy, and Pattaya becomes the hub of only "quality tourist" comprised of families, then they'll be left with only 50% of European tourists that they once had if not less.  And when the mafia starts to assault families with children present - they'd lose that demographic too.  
The TAT and Pattaya official are going to become victims of their own successful campaign to get rid of exactly those who fueled prosperous times in the past.
Now they turn their focus on getting rid of expat retirees.  Well, bon voyage Thailand.  You've made your bed, enjoy the well-earned rest.

4 minutes ago, chrisandsu said:

They do care about seeing females . If you are a young guy travelling you really don’t want a sausage fest !not unless they have all turned into beta males . I’m in my 30s and couldn’t think of anything worse then being in a country where there is no women on show . 

Females yes, but not old beer bar hookers.

Plenty of females in clubs and tinder readily available, no need to fly 6000 KM to get ripped off in a bar. I don't know a single young guy who explicitly makes holidays to hang out in beer bars and mate with these girls.

That's also what Thailand is missing, decent clubs, everything shuts down early, not comparable with other party destinations a la Berlin, Ibiza, Barcelona and co.

Heck even Singapore has better clubs than Bangkok, all caused by the anti fun police aka old farts in power.

If you need to pay, prostitutes are all over Europe...Hamburgs, Amsterdam etc have far bigger  red light districts than Thailand.

Just got back from patts not been there for 2 years 

WHAT A DIFFERENCE and not a positive one,

the place is depressed and empty, the beach road is filled with Indians in gangs molesting the girls.

I thought CM was Bad but Patts is not much better these days 

It's not just Pattaya. Europeans are becoming an endangered tourist species in many resorts where traditionally traditionally have been plentiful.

One reason is, of course, the parlous state of the European economy, which means many people simply don't have the cash for long-haul flights to exotic destinations like Thailand.

Another is the relentless rise of the baht and domestic inflation, burning a much bigger hole in visitor wallets than in the past. Then are those silly restrictions on deckchairs and smoking on beaches, not to mention official clampdowns on the kind of "entertainment" for which Pattaya and its sister resorts along the Gulf were rightly renowned.

Pie in the sky about Indian tourists plugging the gap won't feed the countless Thai families in the tourist business, simultaneously tightening their belts and and saying silent prayers to Buddha for the return of "the falang".

4 hours ago, dyertribe said:

What he didn't state in the article are some of the other factors for the decline such as dual pricing, scams and just ripping off the tourists in general.

People will only take that crap for so long before ... so long.

Correct....all the blame was shifted elsewhere. None of it on on how Thai's are conducting their business or stinking drains that flood when it rains with sewage coming out...water not fit to swim in....dirty hotel rooms....overpriced taxis yadayada

Archived