Thai Music we love

Yinn

Ok. 

Special song for NCC1701A

เฒ่าหัวงู /tâo hŭa ngoo/
Literal meaning: Old man snake head
Metaphorical meaning: Old man who runs after young girls, dirty old man

• Haha 1

I love this Khon pipe performance. The women in the shades is a well known medium. Loei, especially Dansat has many influential spiritualists and mediums. I love seeing old people and young people enjoying music  tigether especially this local traditional Thai music. Morlam, Ska, Reggae, Gypsy, Balkan Trumpet and Yiddish music all belong to the people unlike the fake constructs of EDM, UDM Techno etc which are aimed at a narrow culturally dislocated audience. Many farang and expats are so ignorant of Thai music or actively hostile I despair.

Edited by sunnyboy2018
  • Like 1

Went to the final of the Royal sponsored luktung contest yesterday, 5 guys and one girl singer. Winner was awarded ONE MILLION baht and Royal cup. The only professional singer invited was this one, from 1988 my favorite luktung song of hers, only heard Jin perform it once, from her 2nd album. Of course these days nobody writes letters, she would be using Line and a coney cartoon!

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Where is the contest? Is there a similar one for morlam?

Orton will know about that.

Orton know everything. More than Thai people.

Orton amazing. Unbelievable the knowledge. Really.

He know about them, and he know them himself. They know him.

Thankyou Orton.

That contest is the first year, I did not see any of the heats just the final in Bangkok near Ari BTS station. There is not a big one like that for morlam, one singer was a morlam singer but they explained he could not sing that as it was just luktung. It was on the tv, MVT so is probably on you tube somewhere.

Most singer had their own supporters in different coloured shirts, this was the winners group. When we left we managed to catch Pee Saderts last song at Victory monument concert.

P1100103.JPG

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Today have the story about the cute Burirum 8 year old kid. 

Last week he do the rain dance because of the drought. But it to successful, and then Issan have the flood.

So then he do the Khmer song to say sorry about that. 

I cannot find the clip, but this have it a little bit. The happy dance is the rain dance, the slow dance is the sorry dance.

https://www.bugaboo.tv/watch/458336

A lot of people blame him for the flood. But only the joke.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yinn said:

Today have the story about the cute Burirum 8 year old kid. 

Last week he do the rain dance because of the drought. But it to successful, and then Issan have the flood.

So then he do the Khmer song to say sorry about that. 

I cannot find the clip, but this have it a little bit. The happy dance is the rain dance, the slow dance is the sorry dance.

https://www.bugaboo.tv/watch/458336

A lot of people blame him for the flood. But only the joke.

Little Boy Dancing on Drum at Yaothon.

Is this dance the ramong? He's a plucky little chap.

• Like 1

Music for life, phua cheewit is often described as protest music, that was decades ago not any longer. This is music for change these days, they have subs in Japanese as well. Thai music is quite popular with Japanese who are some of the hardest core fans.

• Like 1

On 9/5/2019 at 8:57 AM, Isaanbiker said:

Dear Yinn,

Could you please help me to find my most favorite one: " Sip Bhaet Fhon, Sp Bhaet now" ? Thanks a lot......

On 8/28/2019 at 10:39 PM, sunnyboy2018 said:

I love Thai music especially Morlam, Morlam sing and all its variants but like Thai silk I dont know all the different types. How would you describe this great music?

Love the phin. My favourite instrument. can listen to it all night. Jimi Hendrix eat your heart out.

This guy's the nuts.

Here's an old guy who plays for a few setang round the markets in Pattaya, jammin' with a ferang.

To me, Morlam and the phin screams Issan. I miss it so much. Off to Nong Khai for Wan Auk Pensa and the Banfai Pyana festival (Naga Fireballs) next month. A once in a lifetime experience (this will be my second time 555). The concert tells the story of the Banfai Pyana and is a spectacular festival of sound (traditional Morlam) dancing and light. Counting off the days to return to my spiritual home.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, DannyCarlton said:

Love the phin. My favourite instrument. can listen to it all night. Jimi Hendrix eat your heart out.

This guy's the nuts.

Here's an old guy who plays for a few setang round the markets in Pattaya, jammin' with a ferang.

To me, Morlam and the phin screams Issan. I miss it so much. Off to Nong Khai for Wan Auk Pensa and the Banfai Pyana festival (Naga Fireballs) next month. A once in a lifetime experience (this will be my second time 555). The concert tells the story of the Banfai Pyana and is a spectacular festival of sound (traditional Morlam) dancing and light. Counting off the days to return to my spiritual home.

I was there in 2015. I posted a video on this thread of a morlam band I recorded in Nong Khai. 

• Like 1