Thai Music we love

Yinn

Another film of merit about Pumpunag from 2011, Grammy singer nong Paowalee put in a great performance and sings all the songs, her first acting role. I went to see it three times, of course bio pics are all naff in some respect, here they had to treat her 2 'husbands' with kid gloves for fear of defamation, and even then one family complained for changes. The true story of her first husband is sad and perhaps he got what he deserved in the end, but the film does not cover it and Kraisorn her second husband only makes a brief appearance. Worth seeing if you can track it down if only for the music.

Her son nong Phet went to School in the USA and so speaks English well nice bloke but never knew what to make of the rest of the family, so many stories, half truths and break ups and make ups. Mostly all happy again.

pump.jpeg

• Like 2

51 years tomorrow that Surapon was shot dead in his car after a concert, seems very likely an army officer was to blame after he refused to perform a concert for him. One singer on stage with him that night in his band still performs, Gangwanpra Lukpet, saw him on the 4th of this month, he mentioned him and wai ed his memory.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Another good film from about 2002, fm95 station which made the film was sold a couple of years later by owner Jenpop who started it as the first fm nation wide country station a few years before. It was housed in a Rachada condo but since 2005 or so has been housed in the Mcot building Rachada as are a lot of other radio stations. it is owned by the state so government controlled, but a lot of fans seem unaware of that. Fm90, luktung rak Thai is by far the best radio station today IMO. Almost every character in this film is, or was, a famous country singer.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

Monsit, his voice seems evocative of happier times here when there were lots of music cafes, free high quality concerts all the time and when everything was more laid back. The song is called gluwar, of course it cannot have a sad ending so Fon sings the female reply, two of the finest luktung singers. He is from Mukdahan she is from Udon.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

Saw nong Bua again last night, (top line diamond) good concert performer, but not as many people there as this one. Gives some idea of what goes on at a typical concert, banter and all.

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, Number 6 said:

I really like old skool morlam and luk thung. Being in BKK I really don't hear much anymore.

Too right most all the cafe's closed down, the beer halls like tawang deangs are not the same. Then most of the free concerts went, economics I guess. Few years ago there was 7/4 concert on Sat morning at central Rama 2 followed by Veteethai at Prapradeang. The 94.5 concert at lumpini night market, then at the zoo on Sundays and other touring concerts in the week plus fm95 concerts. Still got the Wat fairs and roadside fairs but it's all a shadow of what it once was. There is the once a month fm90 concert ar Victory monument, Pee Sadeart next month; fm 90 plays the best morlam and luktung.

Sao seang phin (Jintara) having wedding problems again, as if anyone would do a runner on her!

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

A troll comment and response removed,

Once again for those that visit this thread, Thai music may not be to your taste, if that's the case move on to another topic and allow those that do like it, to discuss and enjoy the topic without Troll comments.

Thank you.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

any that isnt played as if  all the world would  love to hear it especially at 4am in the morning by idiots who think this is "ok".

I  like the  Ooop  north stuff Issan  without words  although it does  get a bit repetitive after a while.

Edited by gunderhill
  • Like 1

On 8/18/2019 at 11:00 PM, Orton Rd said:

Many have covered this and it's normally done at concerts, what's his name Yinn? they play it on the radio all the time, does my head in but the kiddies like it. He's been on talent shows doing a Mai Tai act.

Ba long ba cherng.

Not sure that is the way to write it. 

Another thing is “Rot Hair” common for weddings, festivals and parties in Thailand.

is very fun, free, and everyone can join.

Is the truck with the band, so everyone dancing on the road (maybe farang get angry because think it dangerous), but thai people love it. Street party.

Many different size, the one in this video is quite big.... Can be any type the music (up to who pay), this one issan music (I like the most, especially when with RotHair)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Ba long ba cherng.

Not sure that is the way to write it. 

Sorry Orton, I make mistake. I think you ask the song name.

the singer name is Nong TiuTaen

• Like 1

If you are looking for a concert band in the central area you could not do better than this one, Yinn will have to help with the name. Very professional set up, the stage lights and sound are top notch and while the music had little morlam that could probably be requested. They are from Ayuthaya and what sets them apart is the size of the stage as it has three, and the size and talent of the dance troupe. At least 28 dancers which is unusual for a band like this, and as the night wears on the feathers give way to bikinis. The girls seemed to be having fun, as did our drinks waitress who had to be carried off at 9.30 as she must have been knocking back the spirits herself. Nice ramwong set when the girls come down and dance with the audience, highly recommended band. Thais can put a party on like nobody else! The waitress had nothing to do with the band, the catering is always done separately.

P1100008.JPG

P1100022.JPG

P1100031.JPG

P1100036.JPG

P1100054.JPG

P1100076.JPG

P1100084.JPG

P1100080.JPG

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 1