Thai man given death sentence for horrific rape/murder of German tourist

webfact

Thai man given death sentence for horrific rape/murder of German tourist

2pm.jpg

Thai Caption: Death Penalty

A 23 year old Thai man has been given the death sentence by the Chonburi court for the brutal rape and murder of a 27 year old German tourist on the island of Koh Si Chang in April. 

Ronakorn "Pon" Romreun will die for the crime after battering Mariam Beelte with wood and rocks and burying her corpse under stones in an effort at concealment. 

The murder on April 7th shocked the small Koh Si Chang community that "Pon" was a part of. It also made international news around the world. 

The court heard how Pon and Ms Beelte had encountered each other at the foot of a series of stone steps that led up to a site of the flag of Rama V on the holiday island. 

She parked her rented motorcycle but rejected the Thai man's approach after he bought her flowers. He followed her as she climbed the 360 steps. 

Near the top and weakened by the climb she was attacked and raped by Pon on the steps. He then hit her with a piece of wood. She fought back and managed to try and flee down the steps. 

He hit her with a rock on the head that caused her to fall. 

He then turned her over and repeatedly smashed her head and face with rocks until she was dead. 

He then dragged her into the undergrowth where he covered her with rocks. 

The body was soon discovered and police made a quick arrest and Pon admitted the crime.

He was also high on drugs at the time of the rape and murder. 

The court handed down the death sentence and ordered the seizure of rocks that were part of the evidence presented in the case. 

Thaivisa notes that Thailand carried out its first execution of a prisoner on death row for nine years last June.

Teerasak Longji, 26, was killed by lethal injection at Bangkok's Bang Kwang prison. He had been convicted of aggravated murder.

Officials were tight lipped at the time about the execution with anti-death penalty activists surprised by the move. 

Many prisoners sit on death row but the penalty has rarely been carried out in recent years with the previous execution having been carried out in 2009. 

Source; Daily News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-11

Personally I do not agree with death sentence because it’s fast and all

over. I think life in jail is by far harsher punishment with no chance of parole . That’s 40-50 years of pure suffering , even more so if kept in solitary.

also he admitted so by Thai law it means half the sentence . Not defending Him, just saying 

13 minutes ago, BestB said:

over. I think life in jail is by far harsher punishment with no chance of parole . That’s 40-50 years of pure suffering , even more so if kept in solitary.

also he admitted so by Thai law it means half the sentence . Not defending Him, just saying 

Perhaps this low-life will enjoy prison together with all his low-life chums eh...

Plus the girls family will know the bloke is still around and may even be released at a later date..Send the bloke off to be forgotten....

9 minutes ago, transam said:

Perhaps this low-life will enjoy prison together with all his low-life chums eh...

Plus the girls family will know the bloke is still around and may even be released at a later date..Send the bloke off to be forgotten....

Have you been to prison to make such a stupid remark ? 

How does a life sentence with no possibility of parol gets released at a later date?

45 minutes ago, BestB said:

My sentiments exactly.

You bring up a good point about the sentence being reduced by half upon admission to the crime.     Pretty hard to perform a half an execution.

I wonder if a confession was beaten out of him?

1 hour ago, BobBKK said:

It is very rarely carried out! (even for killing and raping kids) just more useless hyperbole. There are many cases of 'death sentence' people being released after 'good behaviour'. More farce.

I know it very rarely carried out, but from that to be released on the grounds of good behaviour? Can you please give me some examples when there is so many? Take into consideration that the news regards Thailand, and that is the country we are talking about. I just not bothered to look at that, and it would be nice to learn something new and be able to read about it. I probably missed it, and it wouldn´t surprise me.

The competent person could order execution which would the be carried out in 24 hours.

Of course prison responsonsibles would be tight lipped again.

Sure death sentence is disputable but a relief for society.

This scum won't hurt/kill again and save public to feed him to the end.

I think the death sentence can be an excellent solution sometimes. There are certain crimes, where a man basically self revokes his right to breathe oxygen. 

The trick with the death sentence, is you just do it quickly. Sentence declared, and the deed is done. Not California style, where the expected 30 years of appeals take place. It ends up costing the state tens of millions of dollars. If there is sufficient evidence, witnesses, DNA, etc, you just do the deed and get it handled. Society improves overnight. 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think the death sentence can be an excellent solution sometimes. There are certain crimes, where a man basically self revokes his right to breathe oxygen. 

The trick with the death sentence, is you just do it quickly. Sentence declared, and the deed is done. Not California style, where the expected 30 years of appeals take place. It ends up costing the state tens of millions of dollars. If there is sufficient evidence, witnesses, DNA, etc, you just do the deed and get it handled. Society improves overnight. 

I agree when there is sufficient material evidence establishing guilt beyond any doubt.

The US legal system has it wrong, they hand down death sentences without material evidence, and surprise surprise, too often the jury is wrong.

Death sentence should be considered every time an "innocent" person that did nothing wrong is murdered.

4 hours ago, BestB said:

Have you been to prison to make such a stupid remark ? 

How does a life sentence with no possibility of parol gets released at a later date?

So you know this bloke personally, his likes and dislikes and what he is OK with...?

And you also know what will happen in the future regarding "Thai" law...?

Try and remember where you are and there are blokes out there who can live a life weeeell different to you, many do that who ain't in prison..

5 hours ago, BestB said:

Don't put him in Solitary !!  Give him to the queer lifers. They will take care of him !

Archived