Thirteen year old "Big Bike" rider: Family pay compensation as other charges go to court

webfact

Thirteen year old "Big Bike" rider: Family pay compensation as other charges go to court

9pm.jpg

Thai caption: Compensation paid.  Parents of 13 year old on "Big Bike" have paid compensation to all concerned

The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai while riding a powerful motorbike has agreed to pay compensation to all the victims. 

Police in San Kamphaeng said the bike was being driven at speed and collided on central road markings with Suphalat who was waiting there after coming out of a market. 

She was propelled on her bike into a car driven by Napaphat.

9pm1.jpg
Picture: Chiang Mai News

The police said the negligent riding of Patraphum, 13, was the cause. 

Earlier the parents said he had been trained in how to ride the bike.

Guardian Suwit Thephakhan agreed at the police station to pay full compensation to the two innocent victims. He put money down as surety.

Other charges have been made that will be heard in court. 

These relate to controlling the behavior of a child under the care of parents as well as the fact that the boy had no license and was speeding. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

4 minutes ago, Denim said:

A fine example of ' How not to '  parenting.

I mean ...... these parents are just so dumb it beggars belief.

But because they have momey that makes it ok. Thai logic 101.

Did the boy survive btw? Oh and they claimed he was trained to ride a big bike, that in itself should be on the rap sheet

"The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai"

Are they serious? There is some idiot cutting sideways across the highway and is 100% in the wrong. Sure, a 13 year old shouldn't be riding a 1000cc in traffic and he was pretty fast too, but giving him 100% blame on the accident? Nodoby seems to be questioning "Suphalat" cutting across on central road markings, in the middle of a highway. 

56 minutes ago, webfact said:

You cannot train a 13 yo to ride one of those safely .. It takes yrs of experience and even then rarely can you use it to the max ..  

1 hour ago, webfact said:
he police said the negligent riding of Patraphum, 13, was the cause. 

as I said before...it's all for the show,  when it goes well they publish/publicized everything when it goes wrong they try the blame game

1 hour ago, webfact said:

So, a 13 year old was riding a big bike with his parents conscent! @Worldplus I can´t describe it better than you, without using words that this forum will delete.

11 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

You cannot train a 13 yo to ride one of those safely .. It takes yrs of experience and even then rarely can you use it to the max ..  

Right! I have been riding motorcycle for 30 years, and I can´t remember 1 time I have pushed it to the limit. What I do know, though, is my limits.

16 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Plus suely there should be a step by step progression from scooter up to big bike.

1 minute ago, Matzzon said:

Right! I have been riding motorcycle for 30 years, and I can´t remember 1 time I have pushed it to the limit. What I do know, though, is my limits.

Indeed .. I had a GPZ1000 back in the day and that was tagged as fastest bike available for a short while at that time .. But it was hard to use anything like its full potential on all but the straightest quietest roads and the ZX10 that this boy was riding is significantly more powerful and faster again .. Impossible to teach a 13 yo the roadcraft needed to ride one safely 

13 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Plus suely there should be a step by step progression from scooter up to big bike.

no,  they're  just  as  crap on  a  scooter,  walking is  ok  if their  phone  is  switched  off  and  no  food  stalls  insight  to  distract  them.

38 minutes ago, Justgrazing said:

Indeed .. I had a GPZ1000 back in the day and that was tagged as fastest bike available for a short while at that time .. But it was hard to use anything like its full potential on all but the straightest quietest roads and the ZX10 that this boy was riding is significantly more powerful and faster again .. Impossible to teach a 13 yo the roadcraft needed to ride one safely 

Yep, same here. Once I had a trimmed and modified Kawa 900Z. The only time I tested that one real good, was on an airfield strip in my home city. it went up to 260 and had a lot more left. Just something everybody that rides know ain´t possible on real roads, even if there is no traffic on them. The roads are just not built for that kind of speed on two wheels. And here we are talking about a 13 year old boy on a 1000cc race bike? There is just not any thing that can measure the invisible limit of the parents madness.

1 hour ago, SS1 said:

"The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai"

Are they serious? There is some idiot cutting sideways across the highway and is 100% in the wrong. Sure, a 13 year old shouldn't be riding a 1000cc in traffic and he was pretty fast too, but giving him 100% blame on the accident? Nodoby seems to be questioning "Suphalat" cutting across on central road markings, in the middle of a highway. 

If he wasn't travelling at a such a crazy speed he wouldn't have hit the motorbike crossing.  The guy crossing probably didn't even see him because he would have only been a dot on the horizon, so no way should he be blamed in any way.

2 hours ago, SS1 said:

Can you see that yellow island on the road? It's called the safe zone, for pedestrians and vehicles both to stop at to cross the road. It's a market are for cs. Lot's of thai's don't get it too here but everyone ought to slow down at market cos there's a lot going on in there. That's how you get reckless driving charges up if you don't slow down near markets, at intersections, etc. 

Yet more proof they are incompetent and reckless like grown man childs - community service should be enforced lets see them go out and police the roads and get a taste of it first hand - money is nothing they should pay in time!!!!

2 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

And my hamster fell off the wheel while reading that out loud. 

How do you train a 13 year old if you can't ride such a bike? 

At a certified training school. Honda Big Wing offer such courses. 

4 hours ago, webfact said:
Other charges have been made that will be heard in court. 

These relate to controlling the behavior of a child under the care of parents as well as the fact that the boy had no license and was speeding. 

I concur 100%. Let this serve as a lesson to other parents, thou I doubt it will.

3 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

And my hamster fell off the wheel while reading that out loud. 

How do you train a 13 year old if you can't ride such a bike? 

Their ignorance demonstrated by their own words. I love Thailand, but this incident paints the country with a broad brush called stupidity.

2 hours ago, firefox999uk said:

Didnt the 13 year old lose his foot in the accident?

Have a Nice Day.

Nah, it was misreported. Turned out to be a broken leg for the kid.

I am wondering if the guy described as "guardian" in the report is a lawyer or other proxy, rather than a parent or relative. I suspect this family have status. They are certainly wealthy. No other surnames in the report.

4 hours ago, SS1 said:

Well, I suppose the point could be....the accident might not have happened if the 13 year old hadn't been riding the m/c illegally...just a thought.

5 hours ago, SS1 said:

You do know why the yellow markings are there, don't you? The Thais obviously don't as they treat them in the same way as pedestrian crossings, as road decoration. Same with double yellow lines. Ask the locals what they mean and they wouldn't have a clue.

The big bike child should not have been driving on the yellow markings. I was taught to treat the area as a brick wall, there to ensure the safe separation of traffic - and in this case to provide a safe haven as the smaller bike rider was waiting patiently to cross. Perhaps she would have been better off just charging across the road in the usual Thai Me First mode.

But you are happy to blame the victim.

5 hours ago, Denim said:

A fine example of ' How not to '  parenting.

I mean ...... these parents are just so dumb it beggars belief.

Obviously Darwin's theory skipped the parents generation.

If the parents were so concerned you would think that they would be aware that the legal age to ride a 110 cc scooter is 15 years old, and 18 years old to ride a "bigger bike".

Archived