Thirteen year old "Big Bike" rider: Family pay compensation as other charges go to court

webfact

4 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Earlier the parents said he had been trained in how to ride the bike.

And my hamster fell off the wheel while reading that out loud. 

How do you train a 13 year old if you can't ride such a bike? 

They are morons of the worst kind. I hope it costs them millions. 

I agree with many comments above about the need to learn how to ride first.  In my younger days I raced motorcycles in sanctioned competitions with a license.  Started riding a dirt bike at 14 years old, at safe off road places with supervision.  Then I began to race, and I loved it!  I also taught new riders how to ride for Yamaha Motors Corp, which was a lot of fun.

If you want a high performance motorcycle, I think its great, I want another one myself.  But if you want to go fast and push your limits....take it to the racetrack on an open track day, or a club day.  Yes there is still risk of crashing and getting injured.  But a racetrack is much more safer, and fun.... City streets are not safe!

And if you are really that good....line up on a starting grid...

Trained to ride a big bike. 

Well they should sue the trainer as clearly he didn't do a good job. Riding or driving at speed in a built up area with multiple road users is a simple no. I still remember my driving instructor many years ago. "Always show caution when in traffic". 

8 hours ago, SS1 said:

"The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai"

Are they serious? There is some idiot cutting sideways across the highway and is 100% in the wrong. Sure, a 13 year old shouldn't be riding a 1000cc in traffic and he was pretty fast too, but giving him 100% blame on the accident? Nodoby seems to be questioning "Suphalat" cutting across on central road markings, in the middle of a highway. 

A few weeks ago we had a small discussion in another topic, i also thought that crossing a central hatching is generally not allowed. But after researching this a bit, it looks like that this is actually only the case when overtaking. So you may not drive over the central hatching when overtaking somebody, but if you want to make a u-turn or turn into a soi, that's actually allowed.

It took the speeding motorbike 5 seconds, from overtaking the car until hitting the other bike. Maybe the other bike did even look before turning, but he didn't see the motorbike, just saw the car and thought he has time. I'm sure nobody here anticipates a motorbike approaching with 200km/h from behind any time when making a move on the highway.

Imho there is nothing really for which you can blame the turning motorcycle. The only parties which are to blame are the speeding driver (and his parents), and the Thai government for making such stupid road designs.

I hope they charge the parents as well seeing they allowed him to ride it and had him trained when he is too young to have a licence and to ride legally. For some reason there are too many idiot parents that think due to the fact they have money they do not have to follow the laws, they need to be charged and get huge fines for knowing allow him to do it illegally

7 hours ago, giddyup said:

If he wasn't travelling at a such a crazy speed he wouldn't have hit the motorbike crossing.  The guy crossing probably didn't even see him because he would have only been a dot on the horizon, so no way should he be blamed in any way.

Yeah don't get me wrong, I certainly don't approve of the kids' riding (or him riding at all in the first place). The accident could have also easily been avoided by being just a bit more careful. Legally speaking, he will also be in the wrong. 

My point is simply that the person cutting accross the highway is also breaking the law. As a fellow biker, these kinds of idiots really piss me off as they're big contributors to why the roads are so dangerous here. The road markings are there for a reason, which for most locals is something they'll never understand. 

1 hour ago, jackdd said:

A few weeks ago we had a small discussion in another topic, i also thought that crossing a central hatching is generally not allowed. But after researching this a bit, it looks like that this is actually only the case when overtaking. So you may not drive over the central hatching when overtaking somebody, but if you want to make a u-turn or turn into a soi, that's actually allowed.

It took the speeding motorbike 5 seconds, from overtaking the car until hitting the other bike. Maybe the other bike did even look before turning, but he didn't see the motorbike, just saw the car and thought he has time. I'm sure nobody here anticipates a motorbike approaching with 200km/h from behind any time when making a move on the highway.

Imho there is nothing really for which you can blame the turning motorcycle. The only parties which are to blame are the speeding driver (and his parents), and the Thai government for making such stupid road designs.

Do you have any source for this, or perhaps a section number in the traffic law? Genuinely curious and this would explain a lot. I've also seen many roads that have double yellow lines in the middle, but then one of these boxes with an X in the middle (whatever they're called) indicating that traffic should stop to let people turn. So these together don't really add up.. 

This one doesn't have the box but for example below from yesterday, had to slam the brakes hard! Are you saying that turning over this is legally allowed? 

image.png.95a8567e102db8e394454f79da6ea7f5.png

2 minutes ago, SS1 said:

Do you have any source for this, or perhaps a section number in the traffic law? Genuinely curious and this would explain a lot. 

Laws usually say what is forbidden and not what is allowed. As i said, before i also expected this to be forbidden, but another poster said it's not.

So i had a look in the Traffic Act and couldn't find anything which actually says that turning across it is forbidden, so it looks like that it's allowed.

I can of course not quote something which doesn't exist.

1 minute ago, jackdd said:

Laws usually say what is forbidden and not what is allowed. As i said, before i also expected this to be forbidden, but another poster said it's not.

So i had a look in the Traffic Act and couldn't find anything which actually says that turning across it is forbidden, so it looks like that it's allowed.

I had a quick look, I think this one. I'm not sure if the term "safety zone" refers to those double striped yellows though. image.png.7d32713a30f790e42ba5cfb152bf02db.png

15 minutes ago, SS1 said:

I had a quick look, I think this one. I'm not sure if the term "safety zone" refers to those double striped yellows though. image.png.7d32713a30f790e42ba5cfb152bf02db.png

I also don't know if the central hatching is a "safety zone", but even if it is, this just makes u-turns (turning around) across them illegal, it would still be allowed to cross them when turning into a soi or driveway, unless you can find another paragraph for this.

10 hours ago, SS1 said:

"The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai"

Are they serious? There is some idiot cutting sideways across the highway and is 100% in the wrong. Sure, a 13 year old shouldn't be riding a 1000cc in traffic and he was pretty fast too, but giving him 100% blame on the accident? Nodoby seems to be questioning "Suphalat" cutting across on central road markings, in the middle of a highway. 

It said waiting, not crossing the lines, thus case is over and done, the stupid irresponsible parenting  beggars belief they claim having big bike training, lock them up for a bit, set an example they condoned the youth riding about breaking the law daily, it stinks of many thais i know who as long  as the children are not under there feet they care not

4 hours ago, jonclark said:

Trained to ride a big bike. 

Well they should sue the trainer as clearly he didn't do a good job. Riding or driving at speed in a built up area with multiple road users is a simple no. I still remember my driving instructor many years ago. "Always show caution when in traffic". 

Caution over here 555

9 hours ago, SS1 said:
9 hours ago, jackdd said:

You can always visit any DLT to learn about the traffic signs and rules. Usually they are happy to help.

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai while riding a powerful motorbike has agreed to pay compensation to all the victims.

Immediately following that they should be jailed for criminal negligence, child endangerment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, [ Any action by an adult that allows or encourages illegal behavior by a person under the age of 18 ]  and any other applicable charges.  The child should be removed from the home and placed into foster care.  The same should be done for all parents, grandparents or other caretakers who permit their children to ride motorcycles; unlicensed, no helmets, and 1 or more passengers.  

9 hours ago, Almer said:

It said waiting, not crossing the lines, thus case is over and done, the stupid irresponsible parenting  beggars belief they claim having big bike training, lock them up for a bit, set an example they condoned the youth riding about breaking the law daily, it stinks of many thais i know who as long  as the children are not under there feet they care not

Check out the video, what happens is not what the article says. Definitely not waiting, but brainlessly crossing across the highway. 

A near neighbour of mine bought her son a big bike for his 17th birthday. He didn't live to see his 18th birthday. Of course, she does't blame herself, she blames her farang husband for giving her the money to buy it. Damn those ATMs!

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, z42 said:

But because they have momey that makes it ok. Thai logic 101.

Did the boy survive btw? Oh and they claimed he was trained to ride a big bike, that in itself should be on the rap sheet

No one, apart from you, said that paying compensation "makes it ok" and it certainly is not "Thai logic", compensation for accidents is common everywhere.

The boy survived and he was not trained on public roads which means no offence was committed.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Earlier the parents said he had been trained in how to ride the bike.

And my hamster fell off the wheel while reading that out loud. 

How do you train a 13 year old if you can't ride such a bike? 

Off public roads.

Unfortunately underage Hiso drivers are a problem. Not just bikes. I know one family gave their 12 year old son a car to drive to school because it was 'safer' than a bike. Safer for who? 

On 7/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, z42 said:

But because they have momey that makes it ok. Thai logic 101.

Did the boy survive btw? Oh and they claimed he was trained to ride a big bike, that in itself should be on the rap sheet

Wait, the police said it was OK since somebody paid? I didn't see that in the story.

Perhaps you inferred that based on some personal prejudice?

The victims are very lucky that the guardian not only had the ethics to compensate the victims but also the money. That doesn't make everything OK, but it damn well helps with the medical bills.

It was also the right thing to do.

It may surprise you to discover that there are Thai people who know right from wrong.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, scorecard said:

Plus suely there should be a step by step progression from scooter up to big bike.

As a biker, let me say something about this motorcycle. Think 1 hp for maybe 3 kg. Think 0 to 200 km/h in less than 8 seconds. (I doubt that a Lamborghini could accellerate that fast).

Liter bikes are no toys. How big is the boy? 52 kg? And the bike weighing 5 x more? "Clever" parents!

On 7/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Justgrazing said:

You cannot train a 13 yo to ride one of those safely .. It takes yrs of experience and even then rarely can you use it to the max ..  

You can train monkey go for coconut. Why not can train money ride on motor bike? 

Archived