BANGKOK 24 July 2019 01:36
webfact

Thirteen year old "Big Bike" rider: Family pay compensation as other charges go to court

20 hours ago, webfact said:

The family of a thirteen year old boy who caused a serious accident in Chiang Mai while riding a powerful motorbike has agreed to pay compensation to all the victims.

Immediately following that they should be jailed for criminal negligence, child endangerment, contributing to the delinquency of a minor, [ Any action by an adult that allows or encourages illegal behavior by a person under the age of 18 ]  and any other applicable charges.  The child should be removed from the home and placed into foster care.  The same should be done for all parents, grandparents or other caretakers who permit their children to ride motorcycles; unlicensed, no helmets, and 1 or more passengers.  

9 hours ago, Almer said:

It said waiting, not crossing the lines, thus case is over and done, the stupid irresponsible parenting  beggars belief they claim having big bike training, lock them up for a bit, set an example they condoned the youth riding about breaking the law daily, it stinks of many thais i know who as long  as the children are not under there feet they care not

Check out the video, what happens is not what the article says. Definitely not waiting, but brainlessly crossing across the highway. 

A near neighbour of mine bought her son a big bike for his 17th birthday. He didn't live to see his 18th birthday. Of course, she does't blame herself, she blames her farang husband for giving her the money to buy it. Damn those ATMs!

21 hours ago, webfact said:

Earlier the parents said he had been trained in how to ride the bike.

trained a 13 years old to ride a big bike ? How can people be that irresponsible and stupid ?  Thailand ... !

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 12:07 PM, z42 said:

But because they have momey that makes it ok. Thai logic 101.

Did the boy survive btw? Oh and they claimed he was trained to ride a big bike, that in itself should be on the rap sheet

No one, apart from you, said that paying compensation "makes it ok" and it certainly is not "Thai logic", compensation for accidents is common everywhere.

The boy survived and he was not trained on public roads which means no offence was committed.

Posted (edited)
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 1:09 PM, Isaanbiker said:

Earlier the parents said he had been trained in how to ride the bike.

And my hamster fell off the wheel while reading that out loud. 

How do you train a 13 year old if you can't ride such a bike? 

Off public roads.

Edited by Just Weird

Unfortunately underage Hiso drivers are a problem. Not just bikes. I know one family gave their 12 year old son a car to drive to school because it was 'safer' than a bike. Safer for who? 

On 7/11/2019 at 12:07 PM, z42 said:

But because they have momey that makes it ok. Thai logic 101.

Did the boy survive btw? Oh and they claimed he was trained to ride a big bike, that in itself should be on the rap sheet

Wait, the police said it was OK since somebody paid? I didn't see that in the story.

Perhaps you inferred that based on some personal prejudice?

The victims are very lucky that the guardian not only had the ethics to compensate the victims but also the money. That doesn't make everything OK, but it damn well helps with the medical bills.

It was also the right thing to do.

It may surprise you to discover that there are Thai people who know right from wrong.

On 7/11/2019 at 1:08 PM, scorecard said:

Plus suely there should be a step by step progression from scooter up to big bike.

As a biker, let me say something about this motorcycle. Think 1 hp for maybe 3 kg. Think 0 to 200 km/h in less than 8 seconds. (I doubt that a Lamborghini could accellerate that fast).

Liter bikes are no toys. How big is the boy? 52 kg? And the bike weighing 5 x more? "Clever" parents!

On 7/12/2019 at 9:31 AM, nobodysfriend said:

trained a 13 years old to ride a big bike ? How can people be that irresponsible and stupid ?  Thailand ... !

easy

• Like 1

On 7/11/2019 at 12:51 PM, Justgrazing said:

You cannot train a 13 yo to ride one of those safely .. It takes yrs of experience and even then rarely can you use it to the max ..  

You can train monkey go for coconut. Why not can train money ride on motor bike?