Pad Thai for 180 baht a plate at a Food Court? Doubts emerge in Aussie couple's claim

webfact

Pad Thai for 180 baht a plate at a Food Court? Doubts emerge in Aussie couple's claim

6pm.jpg

Picture: Thai Rath

Doubts have emerged over an Australian couple's claim that their life was turned upside down after they ate Pad Thai in Phuket. 

Thai Rath reported that all was going well for Stacey Barnes, 32 and her partner Ryan Prigg, 39, from Perth on a family holiday to the south of Thailand. 

They had been eating only in the luxury hotel in Karon but eventually ventured out to try food outside. 

They said that they went to a food court in a shopping center where they said that they paid $6 each for a plate of Pad Thai that would have been 180 baht at the time. 

It was delicious - in fact so good that the couple ordered another helping each of one of Thailand's iconic national dishes. 

Thaivisa notes that the cost of a Pad Thai at a food court would usually be about 55 or 60 baht. Thaivisa has contacted the couple on Messenger to suggest they may have been mistaken about the origin of their problems but so far have received no reply.

Reports on Australian television suggested that the couple picked up a parasite that is present naturally in the gut of many people but caused the couple an adverse reaction. 

Their lifestyle business suffered as two years of doctors' visits left them suffering, they claimed. 

Mr Prigg was filmed on Australian television saying he would never go to Asia again.

The Thai authorities have been busy defending one of their national dishes.

Ms Barnes said this in January on her Facebook page:

"Finally Recovering From A Parasite!

I know kinda a dramatic title! But this has been a massive deal and ordeal for me.

It’s made the last year and a half of my life, one of the hardest times of my life for many reasons...

Being sick every two weeks really is not fun.
Not wanting to get out of bed, ???? everyday was a struggle from the get go.
I had no memory ???? I couldn’t recall anything, I was in a constant state of fogginess.
The malaise, not wanting to do ANYTHING, was something I have never understood or want to experience EVER again. 
The mental chatter around “is this how it is going to be for the rest of my life? If so, I want no part in this!” These thoughts are not easy to deal with. 
Losing our online business, my passion and a big purpose really was HARD, mentally physically, emotionally and financially!

These are just the surface of what I have gone through. I will unpack them. Further in order to heal, but for now they will suffice.

I say this because I was told from a doctor that the parasite I had didn’t caused these things and that I should just live with it! ????????

Secondly I was then treated by another doctor that used a treatment that didn’t do anything.

And lastly I found a doctor ????‍⚕️ that specifically works with killing off these bugs ????

It’s been 8 weeks and I am literally a NEW woman ????‍♀️ or should I say I am nearly my old self again ????????‍♀️!!

I picked this bug up in Thailand, the crazy thing is, is I didn’t even get sick THERE!

So I encourage everyone, if there is something wrong and you are constantly sick or not right go get a PCR test done. And feel free to hit me up. Not all drs treat them as they need to be!

I had an iron infusion to replenish my body from the depleted state the parasite has left!

Ps. I had dientamoeba fragilis."

Source: Thai Rath

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-07-11

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. They are pursuing a social media agenda. Any food court in Thailand pricing pad thai for 180 baht would be out of business in less than a week.

Physically, they look quite healthy. The fact she is posting on Facebook is enough evidence for me w.r.to her mental condition. Fairly obvious the husband didn't marry her for intelligent conversation.

35 minutes ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the cost of a Pad Thai at a food court would usually be about 55 or 60 baht.

So, not only did they get sick, they got ripped off as well!

They really don’t know the origin of the parasite as it could have been the food court luxury hotel road-side restaurants or airport food....

if they only travelled to thailand, then the probability it is thailand...

in recent trips to Krabi koh Lanta and Phuket, all thai dishes were 100 baht and over....pricing was ridiculous....

15 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Any food court in Thailand pricing pad thai for 180 baht would be out of business in less than a week.

Unless of course it was a farang they stitched up, the locals would congratulate them!

9 minutes ago, cardinalblue said:

They really don’t know the origin of the parasite as it could have been the food court luxury hotel road-side restaurants or airport food....

if they only travelled to thailand, then the probability it is thailand...

I did a google search on dientamoeba fragilis. They aren't sure how it's spread, or the incubation period. It is also not specific to any geographic region. So I still don't know what makes them so positive they picked it up in Thailand. It is just as feasible they picked it up in Australia.

27 minutes ago, tallfarang said:

Am I missing something? They weren't sick in Thailand, so how do they know they contracted the parasite in Thailand. Is this parasite only in South East Asia, and non existent in Australia? 

Pretty sure the parasite had it's TM28 & TM30 from it's 'host' with it under the microscope.

Easy-peasy to see where they came from.

:wink:

I reckon they needed a bit of an advertising boost for their lifestyle business (a business that keeps them in the lifestyle to which they have become accustomed). 

They invented the price of Pad Thai at a food court based on what it would have cost them at their hotel. Oops. 

Rooster

It’s funny but I recently read a news item on how Australia is trying to revive its costal island holiday destinations which have been hit, amongst other things, by Aussies going abroad to places such as Thailand (well Phuket specifically, but all the same).

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/business-48551970

Cant think why I recalled it after reading this story, it’s not as if I own a tin helmet...

If they only travelled to thailand, then the probability it is thailand...

Why's that? What airline did they use? Was it the "High and the Mighty," where the pilot passed out after eating the fish? Or maybe it was "Airplane," where, fortunately an inflatable co-pilot took over............:)

Stupidity of Thai officials shines through. This happened some time ago, just forget it and move on. There is no evidence after all this time just one says this others say that. If they keep stirring the pot others who have not ventured here will read it and thats more tourism lost.

1 hour ago, Somtamnication said:

Correct. Double pricing does not exist in Thailand. :passifier::crazy:

Nothing to do with double pricing,  i have seen Pad Thai in some hotels for 160-210++ baht, BUT every food court i have visited in phuket it was always between 60-80 baht.

in recent trips to Krabi koh Lanta and Phuket, all thai dishes were 100 baht and over....pricing was ridiculous....

not sure where you eat, but all the food courts, ( Central, Junk Ceylon, Tesco)  its easy to get a meal for under 80 baht an outside in a local restaurant 60-80 baht, add another 20 for a coke

Had Pad Thai today in Kamala for 59 baht

I have eaten in many food courts & from street vendors over many years and never had any stomach problems as the food was cooked fresh, there & then. The one time I did get food poisoning was from a top class hotel where the food was made in batches and kept warm causing bacteria to run rife in ideal breading conditions for them.

1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Agree. They are pursuing a social media agenda. Any food court in Thailand pricing pad thai for 180 baht would be out of business in less than a week.

Physically, they look quite healthy. The fact she is posting on Facebook is enough evidence for me w.r.to her mental condition. Fairly obvious the husband didn't marry her for intelligent conversation.

I have seen Pad Thai at a Food court in Thailand for 180baht but it had 3 Jumbo Tiger prawns , this was no regular pad Thai, I have been sick and seen people get sick in Thailand and personally I have seen more people get food poisoning from the big hotels than the little street vendors and I think it’s because the street vendor can only afford to stock what he knows he can sell that day, but the big hotels, nobody really cares coz they just work there, and the hotel stocks up two weeks at a time and keeps it in a cool room, all it takes is one disgruntled or lazy employee and things can go very wrong very quickly. 

Archived