Pad Thai for 180 baht a plate at a Food Court? Doubts emerge in Aussie couple's claim

webfact

2 minutes ago, TurkAussie said:

I have seen Pad Thai at a Food court in Thailand for 180baht but it had 3 Jumbo Tiger prawns , this was no regular pad Thai, I have been sick and seen people get sick in Thailand and personally I have seen more people get food poisoning from the big hotels than the little street vendors and I think it’s because the street vendor can only afford to stock what he knows he can sell that day, but the big hotels, nobody really cares coz they just work there, and the hotel stocks up two weeks at a time and keeps it in a cool room, all it takes is one disgruntled or lazy employee and things can go very wrong very quickly. 

I have live in Thailand for 8 years, I have had food poisoning twice in my life... neither time was I in Thailand... both times in a 1st world country... and I have eaten a lot of street and food court food over that time.

If I was going to 'pick up' a parasite -- pad thai is not the dish that I would ever think it would be found in.  I don't doubt they think that is where they got it, in their own mind they are thinking of outliers ... but not based on fact or reason that I can see.

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Lacessit said:

Agree. They are pursuing a social media agenda. Any food court in Thailand pricing pad thai for 180 baht would be out of business in less than a week.

Physically, they look quite healthy. The fact she is posting on Facebook is enough evidence for me w.r.to her mental condition. Fairly obvious the husband didn't marry her for intelligent conversation.

There are actually a food court in Phuket and shopping centre where IMO the food court prices is mildly said over the top............included a dish with Pad Thai......

Everything about the reporting is amateurish. $6 = B180 at the time! They are talking about AUS$6 = B150 at the time two years ago not US$. Possibly one large plate of Pad Thai to share amongst the family. Wrong diagnosis by Aussie Doctors, this is most likely caused by Giardia not the organsim that they were diagnosed with. I had quite a few Aussie mates I was working here with in Thailand that got the same systems of chronic stomach problems especially in the morning and it turned out to be Giardia Lamblia from drinking contaminated water and/or ice.

Parasites are everywhere. So popular there is an American TV show about parasites called "The Monsters Inside Me" which airs every night. There is no telling how they got their parasites. No reason to blame Thailand even if they picked up their parasites here.

180 Baht a plate for Pad Thai at a food court ? Either they are lying or some of the dumbest foreigners ever to set foot in Thailand. But than again i have witnessed this type of stupidity far to often and than other foreigners wonder why prices are jacked up so high for other foreigners. I watched as two foreign girls paid a 10 baht Songthaew 200 baht to drive them about three blocks. Just the other day saw a songthaew driver ask 200 baht for a 10 baht ride until i came along and recused the lost foreigner and got him away the Thai couple. Are foreigners this fracking gullible ? The answer is YES!

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa notes that the cost of a Pad Thai at a food court would usually be about 55 or 60 baht

If they went back for seconds, that would be a good reason why their total cost was 180 baht. I still don't necessarily buy the argument that this is the cause of their problem.

2 hours ago, tallfarang said:

I did a google search on dientamoeba fragilis. They aren't sure how it's spread, or the incubation period. It is also not specific to any geographic region. So I still don't know what makes them so positive they picked it up in Thailand. It is just as feasible they picked it up in Australia.

Yes it is found worldwide in the gut of the general population.  The prevalence rate in Australia varies from 0.4 to 16.8% of the population presenting with gastrointestinal problems.

Dientamoeba fragilis has an estimated prevalence throughout the United States. Unlike majority of parasitic infections, D. fragilis is more prevalent in well-developed countries as opposed to disadvantaged and resource poor nations.[9] The parasite is also endemic in crowded communities (i.e institutions), populations with unsatisfactory sanitation conditions, and individuals who travel to underprivileged countries.[3] Globally, the prevalence of D. fragilis ranges from 0.3% to 90%, occurring in multiple countries including many urbanized cities such as Los Angeles, California and Sydney, Australia. Recently, D. fragilis was considered to be more prevalent than Giardia, thus leading to better diagnostics.[9]

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1151954/

2 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

. . . . when it does a perfectly decent job all by itself.

In Paramsam a delectable little cafe served my kids and I chicken fried rice. I thought my imagination had ran riot when I noticed maggets crawling off my plate. Having summoned the MasterChef now maggets happily playing on the table, looked at me with that expression of 'what's the big deal' then quickly what seemed to be cleaning her fingers on her grubby apron, run her fat chubby digits through our food proclaiming everything was fine now. At the time the food was very cheap no more than no more than 50 baht each not charging us for extra protein.

I left in disgust bet Hey' thats Thailand.........

2 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

They really don’t know the origin of the parasite as it could have been the food court luxury hotel road-side restaurants or airport food....

if they only travelled to thailand, then the probability it is thailand...

in recent trips to Krabi koh Lanta and Phuket, all thai dishes were 100 baht and over....pricing was ridiculous....

Everything is more expensive in the south, that is why I do not go there.

3 hours ago, colinneil said:

Why are these 2 parasites so determined to destroy Thailands image?

They would have to stand in a very long queue to do that..the locals make a very good job of that themselves!

I did a google search on dientamoeba fragilis. They aren't sure how it's spread, or the incubation period. It is also not specific to any geographic region. So I still don't know what makes them so positive they picked it up in Thailand. It is just as feasible they picked it up in Australia.

Personally I think thier online business is going down tubes and this is a way of enhancing hits ... SE Asia doesn’t want you back and when is your litigation case due 55555

Am I missing something? They weren't sick in Thailand, so how do they know they contracted the parasite in Thailand. Is this parasite only in South East Asia, and non existent in Australia? 

This parasite is common around the world.  More so in tropical regions.  It can also exist in humans without any apparent symptoms.  When it does manifest itself it is slow, unlike salmonella.  The chances of these people pinning it to a particular meal is mere supposition.

Probably making a claim on their travel insurance

2 minutes ago, AntipodeanThai said:

Think you need to do your sums again 1 AUD= 21 Baht i.e AUD6+126 Baht still a big price for a pad Thai especially in a food market

I think I read the parasitic illness occurred two years ago, from the article I read

Archived