Pad Thai for 180 baht a plate at a Food Court? Doubts emerge in Aussie couple's claim

webfact

2 hours ago, tallfarang said:

I did a google search on dientamoeba fragilis. They aren't sure how it's spread, or the incubation period. It is also not specific to any geographic region. So I still don't know what makes them so positive they picked it up in Thailand. It is just as feasible they picked it up in Australia.

If you read the Australian article they said they started to get sick that night about 6 hours after they ate the Pad Thai, they cut there holiday short and went home two days later and were sick ever since until they found a doctor that diagnosed there problem after 6 months of pain. I don’t see how the would make this story up it’s not as if they are going to sue the little Pad Thai place in the food court. 

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Bantex said:

I have eaten in many food courts & from street vendors over many years and never had any stomach problems as the food was cooked fresh, there & then. The one time I did get food poisoning was from a top class hotel where the food was made in batches and kept warm causing bacteria to run rife in ideal breading conditions for them.

I agree with this. In my 14 years of visiting Thailand ( have lived here for the past 5 years ) I've had food poisoning 3 times, and EACH time after eating at a so called top notch restaurant/hotel. Never even been nauseas from street food.

If you read the attached article (from news.com.au) you'd know that their trip was in the beginning of 2017, so maybe 2 1/2 years ago now.

News.com.au supposedly doesn't pay for "unsolicited" stories like this, but there are sites that will (and then resell the stories to sites like the Mirror, Sun and maybe even News.com.au).

If you want to contribute your 50 satangs - the "reporter" can be reached at this email address: [email protected] or on her twitter at http://twitter.com/Rhi_lani

Keep in mind that the original "incident" happened years ago. Like many of these kinds of stories, there are a lot of "generalities" and almost no actual details (like hotel names, exact dates, locations, ect). That way they can't be fact-checked and caught out in a lie as there is almost no way to verify anything about their story.

Bet my bottom dollar that their so called "lifestyle business" is a detox diet or wonder vitamen. Our life was ruined by a Pad Thai until we found wonder detox pills, we now sell them, $29.95 inc postage.

I'm an Australian and this story is a load of rubbish. The parasite they had is Dientamoeba Fragilis and this parasite is commonly found in the gastrointestinal tract of humans. 

The "Fragilis" means that this parasite is fragile and does not live long outside of its host.

Here is a link to the NSW Health Department in Australia

https://www.health.nsw.gov.au/Infectious/factsheets/Pages/dientamoeba-fragilis.aspx

Also what I have found at all the food courts that I have been to here is that you normally go to a desk and pay for a card and present that card to the stall holder, so there is no dual prices and there are no Pad Thai for 180 baht at any of the food courts.

IMHO these couple of bogans are only looking for someway of being able to claim that their online business is not working and I believe that it is a load of the stuff the comes from where this parasite lives

A pair of liars.

No proof offered it anything that can be substantiated. 

Glad they are not coming back here.

As for the price they say they paid the parasite must have been in their eyes, as all food courts I have been in have the price of each dish clearly displayed. 

They won't be missed.

3 hours ago, phuketrichard said:

Nothing to do with double pricing,  i have seen Pad Thai in some hotels for 160-210++ baht, BUT every food court i have visited in phuket it was always between 60-80 baht.

not sure where you eat, but all the food courts, ( Central, Junk Ceylon, Tesco)  its easy to get a meal for under 80 baht an outside in a local restaurant 60-80 baht, add another 20 for a coke

Had Pad Thai today in Kamala for 59 baht

One of my favourite dishes . Little place in Maechan where I go , Padthai moo 40 B.  Before I sit down I get ' Padthai moo ' comes with a smile that is free.

It has just been on Thai News that the PM ordered an inspection of the food court by the Health Department and the Thai Health Department has said that this parasite could not survive the heat of the cooking of the Pad Thai or any other cooked food. This is why this parasite is called "fragilis".

I believe they are doing this to try and shift the blame for their failed business.

6 minutes ago, Russell17au said:

It has just been on Thai News that the PM ordered an inspection of the food court by the Health Department and the Thai Health Department has said that this parasite could not survive the heat of the cooking of the Pad Thai or any other cooked food. This is why this parasite is called "fragilis".

I believe they are doing this to try and shift the blame for their failed business.

Do they intend returning to ???????? to sue for damages ????

4 hours ago, tallfarang said:

I did a google search on dientamoeba fragilis. They aren't sure how it's spread, or the incubation period. It is also not specific to any geographic region. So I still don't know what makes them so positive they picked it up in Thailand. It is just as feasible they picked it up in Australia.

Yes, food centers are usually BETTER than 5 star restaurants, as you can see them cooking the food, so you know if it is OK. ... I guess that you would have to watch Soup in those bottom level soup places, ...

I found a Piece of the bottom of a hard Plastic shooing basket in a very cheap bottom end bowl one once in Cambodia ! Like thought that it was a bone ,,, but no, hard Plastic from the bottom of the shopping basket that the food came in no doubt ! ... And well after then I did get very sick ! ... But they was Soup .... And not fried as you watch stuff, which I think is nearly always OK. ...

Still, without getting Biased I think, forget Thailand, ... from my Experiences, if you want to get REALLY sick ! ... Just go to the back Blocks and well of the tourist trails of Cambodia ! ? ...

... This couple seem to be Loonies yes. ... We have plenty of them in the Great Country Down Under .... And defiantly you NEVER really know where it comes from, if you get sick, ..Especially with a delayed action, Parasites like this.

... Still, I have heard of other people getting Gut Problems in Asia, ... that have lasted for over a year !!! ... Still I think that really is does just depend on how personally resistant that you are ! ... And some people ! ? Like this skinny Woman, ... probably are Not. ... Like they could get sick anywhere ! Like in Europe ? Canada ? Iceland ! ... Anywhere. ... So once again just Thailand Bashing, ... if you ask me !!!

And well, they pay people to say these sort of things against their competitors on the Net don’t they ! ? …

Do you remember the “Do not by any thing in Thai duty free shops as you might be framed” fiasco … When some Light fingers Holiday souvenir hunters, from the UK, who were just TOTALLY Guilty ! … And were caught red handed on CCTV, were going mad on the net ! …. Like one woman rolled up the Bar cloth and stole that while the Bar staff were not looking !!!! ….   Like who were paying them to say that I wonder ? … Some unscrupulous Duty free operators in Singapore or Australia ? Or the UK ???

5 hours ago, tallfarang said:

Am I missing something? They weren't sick in Thailand, so how do they know they contracted the parasite in Thailand. Is this parasite only in South East Asia, and non existent in Australia? 

Nope, not just in Asia. They could have contracted this in Thailand, Australia or anywhere in between including airlines and airports.

But it's only taken them 2 years to come up with a good FB and social media story that's got them attention for whatever scam they're hoping to pull off.

X million tourists and visitors a year and just 2 numpties who contract this and claim they can pinpoint it after 2 years to the specific meal! And some actually believe them!

5 hours ago, PatOngo said:

So, not only did they get sick, they got ripped off as well!

Considering this happened about 18 months ago and in the article it states she had memory problems how can they recall what they paid for a meal?

17 minutes ago, Baerboxer said:

Nope, not just in Asia. They could have contracted this in Thailand, Australia or anywhere in between including airlines and airports.

But it's only taken them 2 years to come up with a good FB and social media story that's got them attention for whatever scam they're hoping to pull off.

X million tourists and visitors a year and just 2 numpties who contract this and claim they can pinpoint it after 2 years to the specific meal! And some actually believe them!

Trying to build up traffic to their facebook site- $$$$$$$

Archived