Pad Thai for 180 baht a plate at a Food Court? Doubts emerge in Aussie couple's claim

webfact

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thai health officials baffled by pad thai poisoning complaint

By The Nation

800_04af3f6e100c480.jpg

The Public Health Ministry on Thursday instructed all provincial health offices to strictly enforce the “Clean Food Good Taste” standard after tourists posted complaints on social media about food poisoning.

Dr Sukhum Kanchanapimai, permanent secretary of the ministry, also said that though an Australian couple’s claim of being hit by the parasite dientamoeba fragilis after consuming pad thai at a food court in Phuket two years ago cannot be proven, it does not mean that Thailand is completely free of this parasite. 

“This parasite is in the environment everywhere, even in Australia,” he said, adding that according to Thailand’s medical database, nobody has been affected by this parasite for the past 20 years. 

“Normally the parasite can be destroyed under heat, so it is not likely to harm us. Pad thai, which is cooked on high flames, is unlikely to have this issue,” Sukhum said, adding that Thailand implemented the “Clean Food Good Taste” standard to protect Thais and tourists. 

Disease Control Department chief Dr Suwannachai Wattanayingcharoenchai also confirmed the dientamoeba fragilis parasite can be found everywhere, adding that it only affects people if they are repeatedly exposed to it or if the patient’s immunity is weakened. He added that it cannot be ascertained where the tourists picked up the parasite, because Thailand has not had a case of dientamoeba fragilis infection in the past 20 years. 

Dr Panpimol Wipulakorn, director-general of the Department of Health, said the Public Health Ministry oversees and certifies the quality of food sold nationwide based on four criteria: kitchen and related facilities; cooking; cleanliness of containers and utensils; and the hygiene of the cook. 

So far, 85 per cent of restaurants and eateries across the country have passed the “Clean Food Good Taste” standard, while 93 per cent of the food sellers in Phuket hold the stamp as of last year, she added.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372813

logo2.jpg

- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-11

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Agree. They are pursuing a social media agenda. Any food court in Thailand pricing pad thai for 180 baht would be out of business in less than a week.

Physically, they look quite healthy. The fact she is posting on Facebook is enough evidence for me w.r.to her mental condition. Fairly obvious the husband didn't marry her for intelligent conversation.

not too long ago was as siam paragon food court and there no normal food court prices. crazy expensive for ordinary thai food

3 minutes ago, atyclb said:

not too long ago was as siam paragon food court and there no normal food court prices. crazy expensive for ordinary thai food

Phuket Jungceylon Food Court can easy pay that for padthai.

1 hour ago, Russell17au said:

It has just been on Thai News that the PM ordered an inspection of the food court by the Health Department and the Thai Health Department has said that this parasite could not survive the heat of the cooking of the Pad Thai or any other cooked food. This is why this parasite is called "fragilis".

I believe they are doing this to try and shift the blame for their failed business.

again, spread by feco-oral route - worker poor toilet hygiene contaminates dish, silverware or food after cooking. high temp cooking largely irrelevant

i am not defending the voracity of the aussie claim just saying the thai doctor statement about high temp cooking is silly and only relevant if food was solely contaminated prior to cooking.

Stickman said recently 129 for fried rice or pad Thai at took lae dee... meanwhile a friend from Phichit says 15 THB up there.  A lady does three kinds at Nonthaburi market for 20...pre made, but is a satisfying light meal. 

6 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Agree. They are pursuing a social media agenda. Any food court in Thailand pricing pad thai for 180 baht would be out of business in less than a week.

Physically, they look quite healthy. The fact she is posting on Facebook is enough evidence for me w.r.to her mental condition. Fairly obvious the husband didn't marry her for intelligent conversation.

Got it one !

That story is nonsense, only complete idiots would get on an airplane if they really thought they were coming down with food poisoning.  No doctor, no private toilet, no privacy when you'e sick, this story is nonsense and the Australian media should be more responsible. 

^  Uptooyoo is absolutely right.

this is caused by faecal-oral cross contamination, ie, bad hygiene methods, not washing hands, not drinking clean water, touching your butt and then your mouth  etc, these two probably have no idea where they actually picked it up as it is around the world so they could have contracted it in Australia as well. Trying to blame Thailand is at best a guess on their part, they just want their 15 minutes of fame, doing a google search about it you will find that they appear to be making it out a lot worse than it is

They do it because they are Aussies . Aussies scam the government I.E work care when they are running a business, centrelink ,anything to scam money from government and all the other  bull crap.Bloody hell, the government there often wants people to dob in other people for anything .Australia the land of give ups.... I am sure other countries have people like this , but the bloody government  encourages people to give up anyone.These people are lower than shark shitte.I would never go back there , home is here

Quote:

I picked this bug up in Thailand, the crazy thing is, is I didn’t even get sick THERE!

This reminds me of this famous quote:

“they were still booing him when we came on stage “

David St Hubbins

Spinal Tap

9 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I suggest they are trying to get some sort of medical compensation or disability from the Australian government, claiming they could not do their "work" due to being sick.   So they are trying to build up some sort of case for that

1 hour ago, kevvy said:

They do it because they are Aussies . Aussies scam the government I.E work care when they are running a business, centrelink ,anything to scam money from government and all the other  bull crap.Bloody hell, the government there often wants people to dob in other people for anything .Australia the land of give ups.... I am sure other countries have people like this , but the bloody government  encourages people to give up anyone.These people are lower than shark shitte.I would never go back there , home is here

you are sick

11 minutes ago, gk10002000 said:

I suggest they are trying to get some sort of medical compensation or disability from the Australian government, claiming they could not do their "work" due to being sick.   So they are trying to build up some sort of case for that

Once they scam the government for disability and medical compensation, they'll be back with the money to bask themselves on Thailand's beaches. You'll know who they are. They'll be the ones laughing themselves silly as they enjoy loads more Pad Thai.

Thailand is a tropical country in Southeast Asia. Due to

the hot climate, there are many tropical diseases including to

tropical food poisoning. The problem can be seen in every

ARTICLE INFO ABSTRACT

Keywords:

Food

Poisoning

Outbreak

An important consideration in public health management is gastrointestinal disorder. Of

several gastrointestinal problems, the food poisoning is an important disorder. Food poisoning

can be seen worldwide with high prevalence in developing countries. This disorder can cause

both morbidity and mortality to the patient. The food sanitation is required for successful

management of food poisoning. In this article, the authors briefly review and discuss on the

data on food poisoning outbreak in Thailand. The article focuses on the problem that is existed

in this tropical country.

Contents lists available at ScienceDirect

Article history:

Received 1 Sep 2014

Received in revised form 4 Sep 2014

Accepted 25 Dec 2014

Available online 2 Jun 2015

Beuy Joob andViroj Wiwanitkit/Asian Pac J Trop Dis 2015; 5(Suppl 1): S187-S189

S188

year. Food poisoning is also the disease to be registered in

Thailand. There is still no report on actual prevalence of food

poisoning in Thailand. Nevertheless, an interesting report was

by Ananchaipattana et al.[19]. In this report, the prevalence

of foodborne pathogens in retailed foods in Thailand was

investigated. It could be shown that the contaminate rates

of several bacterial pathogens were very high and it might

be further extrapolated for possible high prevalence of food

poisoning in Thailand.

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/282620287_Food_poisoning_outbreak_in_Thailand_A_review_on_situations

10 hours ago, Mark mark said:

Yes, food centers are usually BETTER than 5 star restaurants, as you can see them cooking the food, so you know if it is OK. ... I guess that you would have to watch Soup in those bottom level soup places, ...

I found a Piece of the bottom of a hard Plastic shooing basket in a very cheap bottom end bowl one once in Cambodia ! Like thought that it was a bone ,,, but no, hard Plastic from the bottom of the shopping basket that the food came in no doubt ! ... And well after then I did get very sick ! ... But they was Soup .... And not fried as you watch stuff, which I think is nearly always OK. ...

Still, without getting Biased I think, forget Thailand, ... from my Experiences, if you want to get REALLY sick ! ... Just go to the back Blocks and well of the tourist trails of Cambodia ! ? ...

... This couple seem to be Loonies yes. ... We have plenty of them in the Great Country Down Under .... And defiantly you NEVER really know where it comes from, if you get sick, ..Especially with a delayed action, Parasites like this.

... Still, I have heard of other people getting Gut Problems in Asia, ... that have lasted for over a year !!! ... Still I think that really is does just depend on how personally resistant that you are ! ... And some people ! ? Like this skinny Woman, ... probably are Not. ... Like they could get sick anywhere ! Like in Europe ? Canada ? Iceland ! ... Anywhere. ... So once again just Thailand Bashing, ... if you ask me !!!

And well, they pay people to say these sort of things against their competitors on the Net don’t they ! ? …

Do you remember the “Do not by any thing in Thai duty free shops as you might be framed” fiasco … When some Light fingers Holiday souvenir hunters, from the UK, who were just TOTALLY Guilty ! … And were caught red handed on CCTV, were going mad on the net ! …. Like one woman rolled up the Bar cloth and stole that while the Bar staff were not looking !!!! ….   Like who were paying them to say that I wonder ? … Some unscrupulous Duty free operators in Singapore or Australia ? Or the UK ???

Hope you feel better now after getting all that off your chest????

6 hours ago, Uptooyoo said:

Once they scam the government for disability and medical compensation, they'll be back with the money to bask themselves on Thailand's beaches. You'll know who they are. They'll be the ones laughing themselves silly as they enjoy loads more Pad Thai.

Do you also believe in Santa, the tooth fairy and Easter bunny? 

9 hours ago, kevvy said:

Hows the  Oz OA pension tho, keeps you kicking? Are you knocking scammers or the government for attempting to crackdown on it? 

17 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

They really don’t know the origin of the parasite as it could have been the food court luxury hotel road-side restaurants or airport food....

if they only travelled to thailand, then the probability it is thailand...

There are a lot of potential sources for that parasite. Saying it came from pat thai and or thailand is problematic at best. Likely it came from a meat pie they neglected to squirt enough ketchup in. Excrement Happens. 

Show me a first timer that claims they spent weeks here without some Hershey squirts and I will have serious doubts.  But, fruits you peel, and grilled pork and chicken, or even fried chicken are pretty safe.  Seafood is always a bit risky, but a simple grilled squid on a stick is pretty safe.. busy places are safer.  Things like crab curry from an empty restaurant could hurt you.  I bought a 10 strip of immodium for 15 THB last September, gave four to a friend and still have four left.  It is peace of mind, when traveling.  Street food, cooked to order at high heat is pretty safe, likely safer in the takeaway container, but if the non sterilized plates and utensils make you real sick, your immune system may already be compromised.  

I suppose that his online business decreased as many of them did the last two years and they are trying to make some money by claiming Asia for beeing the cause!! If Pad Thai was the cause of their health issues, they would have noticed it right the day after or at least one week later. Parasites don't take that long in the gut to manifest. Maybe the got Dengue and had the parasite already before that. But even Dengue doesn't take that long to recover from it. Going on social media with it means that they are expecting some money from Thai authorities to admit that it wasn't Thai food that caused it. Some people are very inventive when it comes to money.

There are all kinds of reasons to get “food poisoning”.Becoming ill from a soi food stall or from a 5 star hotel buffet deals with food standing out too long in the heat. The Australians could have gotten food poisoning in their own country. My advice is for these pampered 4 star travelers to stay home and never leave their comfort zone.

Meanwhile, I would like to see the Thailand health officials get as upset with the increasing unwanted teenage pregnancy rate; dengue fever increase; the habitual use of yaba and rice whiskey in the rural area which make the young male population useless. 

Archived