BANGKOK 20 August 2019 00:24
IraqRon

Suprise visit by immigration

Have lived in same house with retirement extension for over eight years here close to muang chiang rai.  Yesterday was visited by two men, not in uniform but t shirts and unmarked truck.  They let themselves in the gate and walked to me, one asked for my passport while the other pulled out a sheath of typed papers, the last page had my name written in a blank area and below that were areas for notes and signatures. Upon my asking who they were the first man said he was police and id'ed the other as imm.  I asked to see ids and they got them from the truck while i got my pp.  Imm. man didnot look at ext. stamp, etc., just the picture pages and compared the name and pp number with what was on his paper,  filled in some notes, took a pic on phone of pp and of me, both men thanked me and left.  I had the day before done my 90day in person.  

Anyone in cr had a home visit recently?? Random thing or what? Being suprised like this was unsetteling.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 1

Not for a couple of years and I've always had a call before hand with one exception when a new employee at immigration logged my 90 day into the wrong column causing a carload to turn up.

• Like 1

thanks to all of for the input, several years ago i had a scheduled visit here, in uniforms, they used gps to enter exact loc. of house and stayed longer time then.

when i saw the page with my name, no uni. and before asking "who are you" all sorts of possibilites came to mind, debt collectors for ex wife's debts, allegation of lm, etc.  now after reviewing this i think they were checking up to see if i trully lived here, probably also on others in the area.  they in a hurry to verify and leave.

donot know what comp. system imm. has, but if i wanted to target certain groups , i.e. those who hold non spouse ext. and report same address many years, this is one search to do.

Apparently the local police came a couple of years ago when my wife and I were in the US. My sister in law met with them and answered there questions. One of them seemed to be a customs officer and wanted to check items previously shipped duty free in a container. My sister in law told them that everything was upstairs and they were welcome to look. My sister in law said they were polite and went on there way. I've heard of other foreigners being checked about the same time. 

BYT the sister in law can handle the dog and put him out of harms way. They remarked that we had a great dog. 

I keep the gate locked......a precaution only,no stray dogs or people can come in....once inside the property not always easy to get rid of.

As for police or immigration officers,yes pays to be polite and courteous after seeing ID.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes, I had a similar visit about a month ago. It was no big deal. I just had to show them my passport and other papers, and then they took some photos. Easy-peasy...

23 hours ago, villagefarang said:

Not recently and not unannounced.  A while back we had a guy call and make an appointment.  He showed up in a vest with a badge on it and had his ID available.  We had a nice visit and he got some pictures to prove he had been to visit us.  He had a stack of folders for all the expats he was assigned to go visit.  It was different but after we felt comfortable he was genuine, things when smoothly.

The last time a cop show up out here in the boondocks of Lamphun was after the Erawan bombing. I think we all got visits.  Wife took care of it.  I didn't even talk to them.

On 7/11/2019 at 2:50 PM, villagefarang said:

Not recently and not unannounced.  A while back we had a guy call and make an appointment.  He showed up in a vest with a badge on it and had his ID available.  We had a nice visit and he got some pictures to prove he had been to visit us.  He had a stack of folders for all the expats he was assigned to go visit.  It was different but after we felt comfortable he was genuine, things when smoothly.

Where was this please? Also Chiang Rai?

When Residence Permit is issued or renewed in the EU, a visit from the immigration is mandatory and its without any prior call. 

So why so fuss on if now they started to physically verify?

• Sad 1