Chiang Mai to open new 1.44 hectare public park on Charoen Prates Road

webfact

Chiang Mai to open new 1.44 hectare public park on Charoen Prates Road

Charoen-Nakon-Road-Chiang-Mai.jpg

City staff are reported to be working hard on landscape improvements, including the planting of large trees, in an area to be named “Charoen Prates Park” when the renovations are complete. The new park will be opened for public use on July 28th.

Charoen Prates Park is the latest green zone in the city center and contains over 29 plant species and various natural habitats for birds and other wildlife. It is also surrounded by businesses which are important to the city’s economy, such as hotels and large and small shops.

Local people opposed the Department of Treasury’s plan to launch a “Baan Thanarak Pracharat” 900-unit housing development project in the area in 2016.

They successfully convinced the authorities that, if built, the development would result in traffic chaos. The department accordingly scrapped its plan and turned the area to good use for the local community and the public in general.

Full story: https://www.thaipbsworld.com/chiang-mai-to-open-new-1-44-hectare-public-park-on-charoen-prates-road/

I'm not clear as to where this is on Charoen Prates Rd, which appears to run by the river from Thapae Rd to where it joins Chang Klan Rd beyond the bridge across from the Holiday Inn.  1.44 Hectares is getting on for 20 rai so this is a pretty big project and I'm surprised it hasn't been all over the news if it's really going to be ready in a couple of weeks' time.  Any non concreted public space is to be welcomed in the city.

14 minutes ago, Greenside said:

I'm not clear as to where this is on Charoen Prates Rd, which appears to run by the river from Thapae Rd to where it joins Chang Klan Rd beyond the bridge across from the Holiday Inn.  1.44 Hectares is getting on for 20 rai so this is a pretty big project and I'm surprised it hasn't been all over the news if it's really going to be ready in a couple of weeks' time.  Any non concreted public space is to be welcomed in the city.

At the south end, next to the river, seems the only possible place?

Across from the district tax office?  There looks to be a space of that area next to Charoen Prates soi 11 that runs down to the river but I think your guess is probably more likely.  There are a lot of ads around town for a "Resort Condo" across from the Holiday Inn which I thought would go where you're suggesting but I see something under construction by the Ratilanna Hotel which may be it.

On 7/11/2019 at 3:06 PM, Greenside said:

The park is currently under construction and nearing completion on the Charoen Prathet Road, North of and next to Regina Coeli College. Other schools in that road are Sacred Heart and Montfort Junior School. the park sits behind the Shangri-La hotel. 

The park is beginning to look very attractive and a lot of work has taken place over the past year to make it look very nice. 

Archived