Suwanabhumi Airport Immigration 07/11/2019 3:23 pm

On 7/12/2019 at 8:13 AM, keemapoot said:

I think the reason is twofold: 1. They can check to make sure the same person is using any particular passport by in/out matching; and 2. They can quickly match it to the person the 2nd time using only one hand making it unnecessary to do a full two hand and thumb scan. For example, I left Thailand last week and used it for the first time and had to do a full left/right/thumb scan input. Upon return a few days later on entering the country, I only needed to do one hand. The software obviously confirms that is the right person and there seems to be no need to do both hands after doing it once.

I would agree. I came in from UK on 9th June, both hands & thumbs. Went out to China 2 weeks later and only one hand, back 2 weeks later and only one hand, very quick.

When I came back 5th July just went straight to the fast track for the over 70s, nobody in front through in a couple of minutes.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2019 at 7:51 AM, barry008 said:

So now you scan both hands and your passport is that correct. We are arriving over the weekend just need a heads up.

Right 4 fingers, left 4 fingers, both thumbs, pose for photo, provide urine sample, take out health insurance, learn Thai, allow Tourist Police to search pockets, marry a Thai Girl, eat pad thai, get sick, bleat about it on Instagram.

No wonder the queues are so long! 

12 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Thailand records all ten fingers so pretty joined up with anyone else.  Whats does Malaysia do - toes?

It's also 'joined up' with the US border security requirements. BTW, the Thai Immigration police's computer system is provided, maintained and upgraded gratis through an arrangement with the US government.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:28 AM, cnx355 said:

Do not forget that you have to be fingerprinted now.

I arrived on July 6th and it was done but I was lucky to be in a queue with European people that can read the instruction screen n English, In that case it took maybe 1 minutes more than usual for the scanning of the fingerprints.  For <usual> I means a long wait compared to the smaller countries around that do not use Arrival-departure card to staple in passport.

The screen changes to whatever your passport language is

....European Aussie's USA is in english.  Chinese doc in Chinese.  That is what I've seen so far.  Anyway it's all pictorial so kids can literally understand it. No real extra time while  to do the finger print following the prompts while the IO does his thing with your passport.  No extra time except the morons of all races who can't follow simple instructions on a screen. 

On 7/12/2019 at 2:13 PM, Jonnapat said:

If places like Singapore and Hong Kong can get you through in a matter of minutes, why does it take 20 times longer here. ?

It doesn't, but it doesn't stop people bitching about it.

On 7/12/2019 at 6:25 PM, Scouse123 said:

Second, I am told these are then compared with your ' chip ' embedded in your passport, so these new gadgets must have access to whatever is in our chips if that is the way it works.

Did you have to get finger printed to get your passport? If not then no. The chip will no doubt have your mug shot embedded for facial rec though.

23 hours ago, josephbloggs said:

Whats does Malaysia do - toes?

Both index fingers.

9 hours ago, emptypockets said:

The screen changes to whatever your passport language is

....European Aussie's USA is in english.  Chinese doc in Chinese.  That is what I've seen so far.  Anyway it's all pictorial so kids can literally understand it. No real extra time while  to do the finger print following the prompts while the IO does his thing with your passport.  No extra time except the morons of all races who can't follow simple instructions on a screen. 

Once again, having a passport is absolutely no guarantee of having any degree of basic literacy.

My experience waiting behind the old Chinese biddy was an Immigration Officer who just kept flapping a hand toward the scanner and an inattentive and disinterested girl in a hi-viz vest a few lanes over who was supposed to assist with the process.

Neither of them were.

I arrived late Friday night  (12th).

First immigration hall was full and barricaded off with Imm staff herding people to hall 2. It was also full to the brim.

So being elderly (late 60's) I shuffled over to the Priority  (VIP?) area which had 3 or 4 IO's working and was completely empty!!

I asked politely in Thai, that, as I was elderly and tired, could I use this lane?

The Senior (of 2)  officers "guarding" the entrance checked my passport and said.."yes, old enough, go through".

I was all done and through in under 10 mins.

I was most grateful to them for letting me queue jump using common sense and a bit of sympathy for an elder.

Just now, orchidfan said:

First immigration hall was full and barricaded off with Imm staff herding people to hall 2. It was also full to the brim.

So being elderly (late 60's) I shuffled over to the Priority  (VIP?) area which had 3 or 4 IO's working and was completely empty!!

I asked politely in Thai, that, as I was elderly and tired, could I use this lane?

The Senior (of 2)  officers "guarding" the entrance checked my passport and said.."yes, old enough, go through".

I was most grateful to them for letting me queue jump using common sense and a bit of sympathy for an elder.

I am 63, probably less frail, and had to suffer an hour of queuing yesterday.

Queuing on the ramps in both halls.

I saw a sign for over 75's................ guess I will have to wait awhile to enjoy that concession.

16 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

I've only recently discovered through a hip injury and using a cane how incredibly kind Thais are . I dont want to give the cane up lol

22 minutes ago, theoldgit said:

It used to be over 70 ????

I am pretty sure it said 75........................... didn't have my glasses on though ????????............. it was on a sign, in hall 2, at the top of the ramp where Thais, diplomats etc go to the right.

On 7/13/2019 at 3:24 PM, NanLaew said:

It's also 'joined up' with the US border security requirements. BTW, the Thai Immigration police's computer system is provided, maintained and upgraded gratis through an arrangement with the US government.

Ah-ha, so it's the Yanks whom the Thai-bashing brigade on here should be blaming for the immigration queues at BKK then!

On 7/13/2019 at 10:16 PM, emptypockets said:

No extra time except the morons of all races who can't follow simple instructions on a screen. 

Didn't encounter any of this mob standing in front of me upon my return to BKK from Europe the week before last. However I was delayed in my tracks by a couple of dimwits who appeared to be having a bit of a struggle with the concept that the reason why you're handed the TM6 card on the plane is so that you can complete the arrival section before - rather than when - you get to the front of the immigration queue.

15 hours ago, Jip99 said:

I am 63, probably less frail, and had to suffer an hour of queuing yesterday.

Queuing on the ramps in both halls.

I saw a sign for over 75's................ guess I will have to wait awhile to enjoy that concession.

Distinctly recall the sign saying over 70 when I arrived back at BKK from Europe the week before last.

But don't forget that those with disabilities are also eligible for the priority lanes, regardless of their age. You might, therefore, like to consider following my lead by investing in a collapsible walking stick and adopting a suitable limp while within the confines of BKK.

That said, the limp is actually much more for real in my case these days.

2 hours ago, OJAS said:

Distinctly recall the sign saying over 70 when I arrived back at BKK from Europe the week before last.

But don't forget that those with disabilities are also eligible for the priority lanes, regardless of their age. You might, therefore, like to consider following my lead by investing in a collapsible walking stick and adopting a suitable limp while within the confines of BKK.

Ha Ha..... a friend used to use that tactic....... best 150 Baht he every spent on that 'telescopic walking stick.

On 7/14/2019 at 12:11 PM, orchidfan said:

Sensible and polite. Well done

Arrived yesterday afternoon on the same flight as the OP. The immigration lines were not near as busy but the conga lines were already backed up to the edge of the sloping, carpeted entry. I had chosen to buy a 1200 baht 'fast track' service as I had a domestic departure within 3 hours and I had oversize baggage to collect and recheck. Bought and paid for that online (with PayPal) the night before.

A smart dressed chap with my name on a signboard met me at the gate and took me to the fast track lanes just off the main immigration hall (not the centrally located premium lanes). There were 3 manned immigration desks and the 3 lanes had maybe around 30 people, mostly families with kids. A lady IO asked if I was traveling alone so she walked my past all the people waiting, opened a closed booth and stamped me in. The longest wait was for my regular checked bag as my oversize box arrived at that collection point first. Customs were randomly pulling bags for x-ray and selected both mine (Thai meet and greet guy was pushing that cart). I was a bit worried as I had 2 kg of frozen beef sausages in there but maybe their machine is calibrated to tell the difference between beef and pork as they never said anything! Smile Plus check-in was empty so that was fast and the guy handed me my back pack at the entrance to domestic security, said cheerio and that was it.

All in all a wise investment as it was exactly 1 hour from getting off the Perth flight to waiting at the gate for the Udon one. Even had time for 2 pints and Bill Bentley's since I waived the free Thai lounge pass. There's no alcohol served in their lounge and apart from that, it's a bit like the moon when it comes to atmosphere.

20 hours ago, NanLaew said:

Arrived yesterday afternoon on the same flight as the OP. The immigration lines were not near as busy but the conga lines were already backed up to the edge of the sloping, carpeted entry. I had chosen to buy a 1200 baht 'fast track' service as I had a domestic departure within 3 hours and I had oversize baggage to collect and recheck. Bought and paid for that online (with PayPal) the night before.

A smart dressed chap with my name on a signboard met me at the gate and took me to the fast track lanes just off the main immigration hall (not the centrally located premium lanes). There were 3 manned immigration desks and the 3 lanes had maybe around 30 people, mostly families with kids. A lady IO asked if I was traveling alone so she walked my past all the people waiting, opened a closed booth and stamped me in. The longest wait was for my regular checked bag as my oversize box arrived at that collection point first. Customs were randomly pulling bags for x-ray and selected both mine (Thai meet and greet guy was pushing that cart). I was a bit worried as I had 2 kg of frozen beef sausages in there but maybe their machine is calibrated to tell the difference between beef and pork as they never said anything! Smile Plus check-in was empty so that was fast and the guy handed me my back pack at the entrance to domestic security, said cheerio and that was it.

All in all a wise investment as it was exactly 1 hour from getting off the Perth flight to waiting at the gate for the Udon one. Even had time for 2 pints and Bill Bentley's since I waived the free Thai lounge pass. There's no alcohol served in their lounge and apart from that, it's a bit like the moon when it comes to atmosphere.

Thanks or the info, Which meet and greet company did you use ?

• 4 weeks later...

Thai Immigration is doing a terrific job processing inbound tourists at Suvarnabhumi.  

I arrived at Suvarnabhumi on Sunday 11 Aug about 12:30pm from Pusan on TG651. 

I was thinking the Immigration queue would be long, so I walked very quickly, using the people mover as an assist, and arrived at Immigration in a few minutes. 

To my surprise, each lane had about 10~15 people.  I processed thru Immigration in about 10 minutes (US Passport + finger scan) afterward I caught my ride, and I was in Pattaya by 14:30pm. 

Either I was lucky or tourism is truly down in numbers. 

Thai Immigration is doing their job well! 

On 7/15/2019 at 10:57 AM, OJAS said:

Or saffron robes over the business clothes, don’t forget the sandals though 

Archived