best small car?

JRG23

So with the horrid state of the UK pound the repayments on our SUV have gotten just too much. We need to downsize quite drastically.

Wife doesn't want a pick-up - so I think that will leave what she calls 'the small cars'. Question is, which to choose? There seems so many - Suziki Swift, Mazda 2, Honda City, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris etc

But does anyone have any experience with these cars? What's the best for taking kids to school, shopping, and occasional trips at weekend?

Thank you for any advice!

Cheers. J

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Love my little Vios, brilliant car. 4 seats , 4 doors, 1500cc engine, comfortable and great gear box. very economic and cheap maintenance costs.  Its a delight to drive. Two years old now and not a sign of any problems. 

We have a Yaris that ticks all the boxes you mention and is used in the same way. Comfortable economical.

Not going to win any races but responsive enough and cruises nicely.

I discounted swift/Nissan/MG etc as resale is crap.

My advice is stick with Toyota or Honda. Quality kit with better resale.

I think the Honda Jazz is a solid little run around... 

Another vote for the Jazz, 1.5 engine, small enough for easy parking yet spacious !!
Fun Fact: Dr Who’s tardis was modelled on the Honda Jazz [emoji51]

A great loading space , carried all sorts of stuff in mine.
2 1/2 years, 50,000 km and no problems whatsoever !!

We have Honda City. 10 years old 155,000 clix and trouble free and still going strong.

Huge trunk. Back seats fold down giving a lot more space. Rear seat base folds up so you can put high stuff in the back e.g plants etc. Economical. Great value in my opinion.

Honda br-v is a biggish motor with a small engine. Been stalking owners at every turn seeking answers. People really helpful and showed us all the things we wonder. They keep telling Mrs showroom will do this too but I like to see the real drivers and their thoughts.

Honda or Toyota would probably be the best for replacement parts. Choice of 1.2 or 1.5 litre engines. City and Yaris 1.2, Jazz and Vios 1.5. The Vios engine has been around a long time, very reliable.

Nissan Almera if a large small car is wanted.

I like the Mazda 2, 1.3 litre engine coupled to auto 6 - speed gearbox which can be switched to manual. More fun to drive. Agile. Although the i-Stop feature is irritating.

Nobody is mentioning Nissan March, I think its the cheapest new car you can buy.

You get what you pay for, a cheap car, but saying that also cheap to repair etc. The local mechanic always seems to have the bits to repair them and not expensive.

Agree with the Honda City, the wife has one for 7 years now, small enough for the roads of Bkk, big enough for family getaways, the boot is larger then it looks,
Cheap to run and completely trouble free for 90,000 km

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect

47 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

Nobody is mentioning Nissan March, I think its the cheapest new car you can buy.

You get what you pay for, a cheap car, but saying that also cheap to repair etc. The local mechanic always seems to have the bits to repair them and not expensive.

The OP said small. He didn't say small small.

5 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

The OP said small. He didn't say small small.

have two fiends who each have a March, they both dislike them, but acknowledge their cheapness, which is not always a good thing.  Gear box is terrible apparently, or so they report. Still, better and safer than a moped.  

26 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

have two fiends who each have a March, they both dislike them, but acknowledge their cheapness, which is not always a good thing.  Gear box is terrible apparently, or so they report. Still, better and safer than a moped.  

Manual or CVT...?

34 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

Had a March for 6 years now and may buy another,

Used to have big cars, then sports cars before thailand but its perfect for us as a city car, and has cruised up and down to BKK at 110kph+,  four up.

Easy to park and do U-ees! Gearbox is fine and acceleration surprising-not that its hard to drag thai drivers when the lights go green as they seem to be either playing with their phone, sleeping or waiting for the red light jumpers to pass.

Comfortable to drive even long distances. Seems amazing value to me. A friend has had a fleet of them for a while for his business and is still buying when necessary. No reliability issues I have heard about.

Maybe other March owners will contribute - unless driving a March loses you face here, should anyone admit to cariung about that!

Just now, beau thai said:

Used to have big cars, then sports cars before thailand but its perfect for us as a city car, and has cruised up and down to BKK at 110kph+,  four up.

Easy to park and do U-ees! Gearbox is fine and acceleration surprising-not that its hard to drag thai drivers when the lights go green as they seem to be either playing with their phone, sleeping or waiting for the red light jumpers to pass.

Comfortable to drive even long distances. Seems amazing value to me. A friend has had a fleet of them for a while for his business and is still buying when necessary. No reliability issues I have heard about.

Maybe other March owners will contribute - unless driving a March loses you face here, should anyone admit to cariung about that!

are they all that vomit green colour? 

3 minutes ago, beau thai said:

I have had 2 now, a manual and an auto. The manual one the wife already owned 5 years when I met her, a new clutch and wheel bearings around 100,000 ks were the only major repairs. Thing is the new clutch/bearings etc was 8,000 baht for repairs (really cheap). we sold it with 150,000 ks on it and still going fine. The auto we inherited, a couple of years younger with no major problems so-far. The auto isnt exactly a high performance precision gearbox but its just practicial transport.

2 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

I have had 2 now, a manual and an auto. The manual one the wife already owned 5 years when I met her, a new clutch and wheel bearings around 100,000 ks were the only major repairs. Thing is the new clutch/bearings etc was 8,000 baht for repairs (really cheap). we sold it with 150,000 ks on it and still going fine. The auto we inherited, a couple of years younger with no major problems so-far. The auto isnt exactly a high performance precision gearbox but its just practicial transport.

It is a CVT box, takes a bit of getting used too, especially when and where to press the "sports" mode button...My Suzuki has the same CVT..

Archived