BANGKOK 22 July 2019 04:30
JRG23

best small car?

So with the horrid state of the UK pound the repayments on our SUV have gotten just too much. We need to downsize quite drastically.

Wife doesn't want a pick-up - so I think that will leave what she calls 'the small cars'. Question is, which to choose? There seems so many - Suziki Swift, Mazda 2, Honda City, Honda Jazz, Toyota Yaris etc

But does anyone have any experience with these cars? What's the best for taking kids to school, shopping, and occasional trips at weekend?

Thank you for any advice!

Cheers. J

Nissan Note.👍

3 hours ago, Pilotman said:

1500cc engine

Only 1200 now but still a good car.

• Thanks 1

I've no experience but was also looking recently. I think I'm going back to the pick up route but... Neighbour has a Swift and for the past 4 years has been doing couple hundred km everyday in it and it keeps on rolling 😅

15 hours ago, JRG23 said:

Suziki Swift, Mazda 2, Honda City

The last two if you want a saloon.

The first one if you want a hatchback.

All are great, and about the best choices. 

• Like 1

You can't really go wrong with a Honda....Or even Toyota. I personally would not be interested in Mazda or Ford..

• Like 2

Honda br-v is a biggish motor with a small engine. Been stalking owners at every turn seeking answers. People really helpful and showed us all the things we wonder. They keep telling Mrs showroom will do this too but I like to see the real drivers and their thoughts.

Honda jazz look low. Have a look under front of a Honda jazz and look for damage. Scratches and tears in under body. 

Honda or Toyota would probably be the best for replacement parts. Choice of 1.2 or 1.5 litre engines. City and Yaris 1.2, Jazz and Vios 1.5. The Vios engine has been around a long time, very reliable.

Nissan Almera if a large small car is wanted.

I like the Mazda 2, 1.3 litre engine coupled to auto 6 - speed gearbox which can be switched to manual. More fun to drive. Agile. Although the i-Stop feature is irritating.