best small car?

JRG23

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Anyone have experience with Honda Brios how it is compared to similar Jazz, March etc.?

Not easy to spot un-modified one on Thai roads for sure. And those modified are bloody fast and loud. One day I was trying to race an AMG and running 120 maybe 130mph-ish than a lil cute Brio passed us like shooting meteor!  

1 minute ago, VocalNeal said:

My best is about 225 as a passenger, In an ancient Volvo wagon with an equally ancient driver.

Hmmm, an old Volvo that can still do 140mph would have been built for the job...????

Honda br-v is a biggish motor with a small engine. Been stalking owners at every turn seeking answers. People really helpful and showed us all the things we wonder. They keep telling Mrs showroom will do this too but I like to see the real drivers and their thoughts.

I had a look at one, the 7 seater comes well equipped looks good if you need 7 seats.
The other option is the 5 seater and is quite basic in comparison ( obviously cheaper ).
Probably bigger than the op is looking for.

This is OP. Went to look at the Jazz and City at Honda today. Both look good but a little uninspiring. But as I've tried to explain to the wife: This is about money! It's a necessary move, 20K repayments on the SUV are just too much.

Of course, she's not best pleased. (I think she likes the 'face' of having a big car)

Anyway, two others I plan to look at before a decision: Yaris and Mazda 2.

4 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

This is OP. Went to look at the Jazz and City at Honda today. Both look good but a little uninspiring. But as I've tried to explain to the wife: This is about money! It's a necessary move, 20K repayments on the SUV are just too much.

Of course, she's not best pleased. (I think she likes the 'face' of having a big car)

It's her chums making comments that maybe the ploblem...

When I sold my 4x4 auto Vigo and were seen to have a weee Suzuki that was the case...Even a farang said to me "Your coming down in the world"....

37 minutes ago, JRG23 said:

Had a good look at what was available a few years ago and I thought the Mazda was clearly the best (for us).

All subjective of course.

Very uncommon to get a lemon these days.

17 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

I think the Honda Jazz is a solid little run around... 

Better than a lot of the bigger Honda's in fact.

Was told by a Honda Engineer these are made so well because the profit

margin are them are so much slimmer than say an Accord - Honda simply does not want to pay for repairs while under warranty.

Bombproof little car.

3 minutes ago, Will27 said:

Had a good look at what was available a few years ago and I thought the Mazda was clearly the best (for us).

All subjective of course.

Very uncommon to get a lemon these days.

My Thai friend has an M2, it has been a basket of lemons...

3 hours ago, Coremouse said:

Anyone have experience with Honda Brios how it is compared to similar Jazz, March etc.?

Not easy to spot un-modified one on Thai roads for sure. And those modified are bloody fast and loud. One day I was trying to race an AMG and running 120 maybe 130mph-ish than a lil cute Brio passed us like shooting meteor!  

I have a Brio amaze and the standard set up will only get you 150kph. Its a great car for city driving and is comfortable on the open roads. The CVT makes steep hills a breeze. Space in the boot for 2 large luggages. The jazz is better though as a car. When I'm due another car I'll be looking at the MG ZS. I know it gets alot of bad press but I have two friends who have them and nothing is wrong yet.

4 hours ago, Pilotman said:

CVT I think. One is a yank and they just don't understand manual ????

Nissan CVT's in general have not acquired a good reputation for reliability. Apparently servicing is critical.

I can understand the March is one of the cheapest around. However, when I test drove one I felt I was in an eggshell on wheels.

1 minute ago, alien365 said:

I have a Brio amaze and the standard set up will only get you 150kph. Its a great car for city driving and is comfortable on the open roads. The CVT makes steep hills a breeze. Space in the boot for 2 large luggages. The jazz is better though as a car. When I'm due another car I'll be looking at the MG ZS. I know it gets alot of bad press but I have two friends who have them and nothing is wrong yet.

Soon to have or already has a 1 ltr engine with a spinner...????

2 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Nissan CVT's in general have not acquired a good reputation for reliability. Apparently servicing is critical.

I can understand the March is one of the cheapest around. However, when I test drove one I felt I was in an eggshell on wheels.

Like anything that is new tech and one is told how to protect it is the key. Folk who do not follow instructions on the tech are probably the ones getting the problems.

I bought a s/h car with CVT, it had 70,000km on the clock, first thing I did was get the CVT fluid changed in case it still had the original fill.

My friend bought a March CVT new, it is now 8 years old, used every day with no trans issues..

5 minutes ago, transam said:

Soon to have or already has a 1 ltr engine with a spinner...????

I'm not sure how well a turbo would work on a 1 litre, but if it delivers power when needed it may still be an option. I'd prefer the current 1.5 standard though.

1 hour ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

Dare I mention the MG ZS !!
Not getting great press at the moment but due to that could probably get a really good deal.
Well equipped and looks pretty cool, classed as a mini SUV.

Just take a look at the resale value of the ZS. The really good deals are there for a reason.

I suppose the Chinese will eventually get up to the same quality standards as the Japanese and Koreans. No reason to be a paying lab rat in the meantime.

3 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Just take a look at the resale value of the ZS. The really good deals are there for a reason.

I suppose the Chinese will eventually get up to the same quality standards as the Japanese and Koreans. No reason to be a paying lab rat in the meantime.

I believe the MG tech is mainly UK heads under instructions of what materials the Chinese company want used, then the Chinese build them..

I have looked over the ZS, you try tapping the hood of a Honda then the ZS with your knuckle, don't tap to hard as you may dent the ZS....

4 minutes ago, transam said:

Like anything that is new tech and one is told how to protect it is the key. Folk who do not follow instructions on the tech are probably the ones getting the problems.

I bought a s/h car with CVT, it had 70,000km on the clock, first thing I did was get the CVT fluid changed in case it still had the original fill.

My friend bought a March CVT new, it is now 8 years old, used every day with no trans issues..

My experience with many Asians is they tend to skimp on servicing or go to outside mechanics because they regard the dealerships as too expensive. AS you say, a fair-sized risk with new technology. The Vios seems best equipped to handle lack of servicing.

There are rafts of recent-model used cars lining the roadsides of Chiang Mai and Chiang Rai. I wouldn't touch any of them with a barge pole.

If you aren't set on a small car, have a look at the Toyota Avanza minivan. I've owned one for 14 yrs. here, it's been remarkably trouble free, has plenty of room inside (seats up to 7 with the rear seat up), is easy on gas and costs about the same (or not much more) as many small cars. I've already decided that when it comes time to buy a new car, I'm going to buy another Avanza. Prices start around 649,000 Baht:

https://www.toyota.co.th/en/model/avanza

7 hours ago, Topcroc said:

We have Honda City. 10 years old 155,000 clix and trouble free and still going strong.

Huge trunk. Back seats fold down giving a lot more space. Rear seat base folds up so you can put high stuff in the back e.g plants etc. Economical. Great value in my opinion.

I agree with all that.. I bought a new Honda City 6 months ago.. we are very happy with it..  a bit roomier than most of the small cars.. I suggest sit in them all and see what you think.. I'm a fairly big guy so most of the small ones are too cramped for me.. 

Hi, I had a Mitsubishi Mirage for 5 years, with which we did almost 70,000 km.
Absolutely happy, little consumption and very comfortable!
For about 8 months we have a Nissan March that is also very comfortable, but the Mirage was better!

30 minutes ago, gjoo888 said:

If you aren't set on a small car, have a look at the Toyota Avanza minivan. I've owned one for 14 yrs. here, it's been remarkably trouble free, has plenty of room inside (seats up to 7 with the rear seat up), is easy on gas and costs about the same (or not much more) as many small cars. I've already decided that when it comes time to buy a new car, I'm going to buy another Avanza. Prices start around 649,000 Baht:

I will second that had one nearly 7 years, acceleration not good compared with older Vios we have, but amazing carrying capacity, moved house twice with it with roof rack, can remove third row of seats two bolts to have enormous boot. Cheap to buy and run.

1 hour ago, gjoo888 said:

Same engine and mechanicals as the Vios, different shape. That's why it's been reliable.

31 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

I will second that had one nearly 7 years, acceleration not good compared with older Vios we have, but amazing carrying capacity, moved house twice with it with roof rack, can remove third row of seats two bolts to have enormous boot. Cheap to buy and run.

How do you find the gearbox? I felt the gear changes were terrible in what would be a 2017 model. Very jerky

Archived