BANGKOK
lastminutebozo

How can a canadian take out 100k baht from bank while avoiding multiple fees?

Posted (edited)

I withdrew 100,000 from inside Bangkok bank using my home banks Visa card and by showing my passport. 

It’s free of charge at all thai banks, my U.K. bank doesn’t charge a fee and they use the current MasterCard exchange rate, meaning no charges whatsoever.

i also get the a better exchange rate than anywhere else.  

I then simply transfer the cash online to my banks Visa card and pay it. No interest charges unless I delay payment for a few days/weeks.

Edited by LammyTS1
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

I withdrew 100,000 from inside Bangkok bank using my home banks Visa card and by showing my passport. 

It’s free of charge at all thai banks, my U.K. bank doesn’t charge a fee and they use the current MasterCard exchange rate, meaning no charges whatsoever.

i also get the a better exchange rate than anywhere else.  

I then simply transfer the cash online to my banks Visa card and pay it. No interest charges unless I delay payment for a few days/weeks.

You use a VISA card and get the Mastercard rate? 🙂

Which bank's card is this?

Regardless, it's definitely not free of charge at all Thai banks

Bitcoin

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

You use a VISA card and get the Mastercard rate? 

Which bank's card is this?

Regardless, it's definitely not free of charge at all Thai banks

Stating visa rather than MasterCard each time is quicker! Halifax clarity MasterCard.

I’ve withdrew large cash amounts at Bangkok bank, Krungsi & Siam all free of charge. Haven’t come across any yet that charges a fee but if unsure, just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

14 hours ago, Sealbash said:

Bitcoin

I would agree but it might be hard to sell here.  

2 hours ago, LammyTS1 said:

Stating visa rather than MasterCard each time is quicker! Halifax clarity MasterCard.

I’ve withdrew large cash amounts at Bangkok bank, Krungsi & Siam all free of charge. Haven’t come across any yet that charges a fee but if unsure, just ask.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

SCB used to levy a 180 baht 'admin charge'. Perhaps it is/was just some branches that did so.

Of course not at all helpful for a Canadian. They don't have such a credit card and it is important that it is a credit card. Thai banks aren't as keen to transact with debit cards.

On 7/12/2019 at 7:14 PM, trevor67 said:

Sign in to Transferwise and do your debit from there.....TD bank will come up as one of your choices.

Wow. Many many thanks for this information. According to TD, it was impossible from their end, but by doing the debit from the Transferwise side, I can do it. After years of frustration with our Canadian banking system, I have finally set up my Transferwise account, been verified, and am now able to send up to $9500CAD per transaction into my Thai Bangkok bank account, at a cost of about 1.17% off current exchange rate. For $1000CAD it is about 1.57%. About 3 business days. Cheers!

If you're giving money to a Thai from a checking account then just write him/her a check. Thais can cash them much easier than a foreigner can. :wai: