BANGKOK 24 July 2019 00:47
snoop1130

Too much bubble tea 'can give you diabetes'

4 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

Aaaah! - the old "too much" routine by health "professionals" justifying their existence.

We've seen them all:

"Too much sun gives you cancer"

"Too much alcohol gives you brain damage" (some people I know are immune to this)

"Too much fish consumption gives you mercury poison"

"Too much Thai vegetables gives you pesticide poison"

"Too much spanking the monkey will send you blind"

I'm still alive, have to wear glasses, enjoy all sorts of food and no bits are falling off me yet - - - -

You missed kissing too many girls will make your teeth fall out.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

Too much spanking the monkey will send you blind"

I'm still alive, have to wear glasses,

Hahahaha nice one .. You've left the door open abit with that .. 

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

brands KOI The and TEA 65 had 16g and 22g per serving respectively. 

22g .! That's getting on for an ounce .. then there's the sugar they sprinkle on some of their nosebag as well .. Jeez all adds up during a day .. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, legend49 said:

So why are they licensed to sell it?

Money.gif

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recommend to all those "sugar addicted" to try a week with little of no sugar.

I used to drink lots of (original sweet) coke, had lots of sugar in my tea, etc.

And then I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I stopped drinking coke and similar sweet drinks.

And now I drink tea without sugar.

And surprising, at least for me, I don't miss it!

Before that I would have called myself coke (the drink) addicted. But obviously that was not the case.

Now, on very few occasions, I sip on a coke which my gf drinks. I am surprised how sweet it is and that I ever liked it. Now I wouldn't want to drink it anymore.

Just try!

This is very true. It's also very easy to reduce and wean yourself off sugar, compared to say nicotine or alcohol. No need even to give anything up, just gradually cut back the sugar you add, until it no longer tastes good in any amount. I used to have a lot of sugar as a kid and in my teens, but after one year when I seemed to be having filling after filling at the dentist, I started reducing how much I added in my tea. I think it only took about two or three weeks until I'd cut it back from three teaspoons to half a teaspoon, and even that tasted sweet, so I cut it out altogether. That was when I was about 17, and I never got the taste back for adding sugar.

I definitely feel aggrieved that this is foisted on me whether I want it or not, so while I loathe nanny-statism, I wouldn't be unhappy if these drinks with huge amounts of sugar (as well as products with trans-fats etc) were to become so unacceptable socially as to be effectively illegal. 

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Why? no one make you drink the stuff,take and or smoke ,same with alcohol,drugs ,tobacco or coffee ,tea

Once the taste for it develops, food starts to taste wrong without it. Unfortunately the main victims of this are kids who are consuming vastly more sugar (and are fatter) than earlier generations, just because that's what's on the shelves. People on low incomes are also victims of this, they often have no choice except to buy the cheapest junk food on the shelves. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

Yet another apiffany from the Thai think tank

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, overherebc said:

You missed kissing too many girls will make your teeth fall out.

giphy (1).gif

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Advertising companies have a damned good try at it, & are very successful in doing so.

Peer pressure, when one is younger does.

No, they must have Soft Brains ,one can always say NO.    😉

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Once the taste for it develops, food starts to taste wrong without it. Unfortunately the main victims of this are kids who are consuming vastly more sugar (and are fatter) than earlier generations, just because that's what's on the shelves. People on low incomes are also victims of this, they often have no choice except to buy the cheapest junk food on the shelves. 

Soft brains ,No excuse one always can say NO.     🤪

2 minutes ago, digger70 said:

No, they must have Soft Brains ,one can always say NO.    😉

Yes digger, of course digger, you're absolutely right.

Happy now?

👏

I like those tea places but usually don't get bubbles. Sometime I do though. There are other options such as lattes, tea macchiatos, and cheese topped teas. I won't even order at the ones that don't have a sugar chart but sadly the ones with sugar charts are usually much more expensive.

Anyway, here's my beef.

Fairly often when you order less sugar (I do 25 percent but no sugar is an option too) they just give you full sugar anyway. A newbie might think wow if this is 25 percent sugar the full sugar must be insane but I can tell the difference.

While some people might complain about such errors, I generally just drink the mistakes and it does piss me off. It just seems like it would be too much drama to complain about something like that especially in the don't complain Thai culture. Also the staff might not believe you.

On the other hand if I ordered NO SUGAR and it was full sugar, I would complain. But even that is not so simple as the toppings will probably also have sugar in them. 

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Happy now?

👏

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Happy now?

👏

Cous I am   👍

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Justgrazing said:

Hahahaha nice one .. You've left the door open abit with that .. 

5555 ! it renews you outlook on life when you notice how many people wear glasses!

cannotbeunseen.jpg

• Haha 1