Seven police officers transferred, probe launched into suspect beating

snoop1130

Seven police officers transferred, probe launched into suspect beating

By The Nation

800_c30f11849dc3861.jpg

Seven police officers from a Bangkok police station have been removed from duty pending investigation after a Facebook page posted a video clip showing some policemen at the station beating a suspect.

The video clip was posted at 2 pm on July 7 on the Facebook page, Hep Ma (Dog’s Lice), and showed an officer from Lak Song station using his baton to repeatedly hit a suspect in the back of a police pickup.

The clip led to an outcry on the social media and prompted the chief of the Lak Song police station to come out and promise a transparent probe into the incident. The station chief added that he had been told by his subordinates that the suspect resisted arrest and spat on the arresting officers. 

On Thursday, with the clip now viral, Pol Maj Gen Kampanart Sophanodorn, commander of the Metropolitan Division 9, issued two orders. 

The first order suspended Pol Lt Col Santi Prathmrat, suppression inspector of the police station, his deputy, Pol Capt Pinyo Thungthin, and five other policemen from duty. The second order subjected the seven police officers to an investigation related to the beating incident shown in the clip.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372780

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-11

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

Seven police officers from a Bangkok police station have been removed from duty pending investigation

Hard to defend the police, it is out and out unecessary savage violence.

In any normal society, the first step would be instant dismissal, losing all pensions and benefits, followed by criminal charges against all involved in the violence.

Here, it will be no action taken, or moved to an inactive post (if there are any left !)

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

In any normal society, the first step would be instant dismissal, losing all pensions and benefits, followed by criminal charges against all involved in the violence.

Here, it will be no action taken, or moved to an inactive post (if there are any left !)

Seven onto one - That is just normal Thainess isn't it ?

Every police officer in that clip should be sacked on the spot.

No justification for what happened what so ever, the policeman using the baton was nowhere near the pickup, but ran over with baton raised determined to cause suffering to the handcuffed man.

13 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Absolutely agree, however they should transferred to an active post - Looking for new employment..!!!

In the UK, they would not be fired immediately, but suspended on full pay from duty, not just transferred to office work. Then there would be a disciplinary enquiry supervised by the ICPC independent agency at the same time as a criminal investigation for assault conducted by the police. If the Crown Prosecutor recommended charges, there would be a court case, and even if they were acquitted the disciplinary enquiry would continue, leading to a disciplinary hearing with sanctions up to dismissal and loss of pension.

It would be a good model for the RTP to follow, shortly after they stop looking at that aerial pig!

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

Joking right? The police in America shoot, beat and kill people with immunity most of the time

9 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

In the UK, they would not be fired immediately, but suspended on full pay from duty, not just transferred to office work. Then there would be a disciplinary enquiry supervised by the ICPC independent agency at the same time as a criminal investigation for assault conducted by the police. If the Crown Prosecutor recommended charges, there would be a court case, and even if they were acquitted the disciplinary enquiry would continue, leading to a disciplinary hearing with sanctions up to dismissal and loss of pension.

It would be a good model for the RTP to follow, shortly after they stop looking at that aerial pig!

I do love how you guys cling onto this fallacy that the system in the West is some kind of holy grail. How about the Birmingham 6? Not one police office was charged for the violence they gave to those guys. Lots of cases where they get off, cos as in Thailand, the police investigate themselves

39 minutes ago, cracker1 said:

Thank goodness for Social Media postings !

i was going to post that myself. Just shudder to think how

much more of this happens and has been happening away from

any media captures. I bet the BIB will be having meetings to be

told to make sure there are no cameras or mobile phones around

in future so they can bash and torture in private.

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

https://www.vox.com/identities/2016/8/13/17938234/police-shootings-killings-prosecutions-court

My neighbor is a policeman. One of my more dubious Thai friends told me that he's a 'good' policeman, 'in his heart', 'not mafia'. Like people everywhere, there are good and bad. My friend told me that here in Samui, it's 50/50 in terms of honest and corrupt in the police. IMHO, most people who become police are seriously flawed to begin with, wanting to be in a position of power and superiority over others. To his credit, my neighbor is a great guy.

Sadly, there seems to be a lot of violent, physical domination/intimidation in Thai society. You read about it constantly; hazing, etc. Pretty pathetic, but it just shows the incredible degree of societal immaturity that exists here.

1 hour ago, PremiumLane said:

I do love how you guys cling onto this fallacy that the system in the West is some kind of holy grail. How about the Birmingham 6? Not one police office was charged for the violence they gave to those guys. Lots of cases where they get off, cos as in Thailand, the police investigate themselves

I don't love how some people defend the indefensible by pointing to the opposite extreme end of the argument in some other place as some sort of justification. No system is perfect, but if you want to argue the point then consider it from a point of view of the average behaviour, transparency and corruption in each place - I'd be interested to know if people think about the relative average effectiveness of Thai Police behaviour and williness to investigate crime comapred to the average at home. Or perhaps there is a belief that thre is no corruption in Thailand just as there is no prostitution in Walking Street.

Then there is the whole way incidents like this are investigated and punished in Thailand - inactive post and then promotion seems a quite common outcome and invariably simply not reported on ever again, probably because you dare not say anything - the laws punishing people who speak out or object being far more harshly followed up than most others.

Exaggerated and totally useless violence!
The Thais really copy everything, this behavior is copied by the American police!
Such cops must not be transferred, but must be removed! Especially the retarded with the stick!

Archived