UK and U.S. have strong and enduring bond, says trade minister Fox

snoop1130

UK and U.S. have strong and enduring bond, says trade minister Fox

dvdfvd.JPG

Britain's Secretary of State for International Trade Liam Fox delivers a statement to media regarding the resignation of Kim Darroch from his position as British Ambassador to the United States, in central London, Britain July 10, 2019. REUTERS/Henry Nicholls

LONDON (Reuters) - Britain and the United States have a strong and enduring bond, British trade minister Liam Fox said on Thursday, a day after the country’s ambassador to Washington quit following criticism from Donald Trump.

Kim Darroch resigned following days of Twitter attacks from Trump after confidential memos in which he described the U.S. administration as inept were leaked to a British newspaper.

Asked by a lawmaker in parliament about the importance of Britain’s relationship with the United States, Fox said: “The UK and the U.S. have a deep, longstanding relationship with a strong and enduring bond ... and at many levels of our society, culture and economy our cooperation is closer than any other two countries.”

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-11

That 'strong and enduring bond' has been in jeopardy since the election of Trump. It is time the UK made this very clear. The current president of the USA is an evil monster, and that any 'special relationship' should now be suspended.

10 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Yeah right- tomorrow you will likely be extolling Trump as a great president to garner his admiration. Grow a pair and stand up to the insidious bully boy

Who has he bullied and how has he bullied them.

Has he sent forces to Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya to force them to tow the line or overthrown their governments like his predecessors did?

5 minutes ago, DNPBC0 said:

That 'strong and enduring bond' has been in jeopardy since the election of Trump. It is time the UK made this very clear. The current president of the USA is an evil monster, and that any 'special relationship' should now be suspended.

I'm sorry to p!ss on your chips but I'm from the UK and many of us wish we had a leader like him who put his own people first.

1 minute ago, yogi100 said:

I'm sorry to p!ss on your chips but I'm from the UK and many of us wish we had a leader like him who put his own people first.

HOW POPULAR IS DONALD TRUMP IN THE U.K.? PRESIDENT'S FAVORABILITY RATING FAR LOWER THAN BARACK OBAMA'S

United Kingdom residents have an overwhelmingly unfavorable view of President Donald Trump, with recent polls showing only 21 percent of Great Britain having a positive opinion of the United States leader.

Political opinion data from YouGov U.K. shows Trump, who is visiting the U.K. this week with his family, ranks only behind former President Barack Obama in terms of fame. But among U.K. residents surveyed between May 2018 and April 2019, two-thirds had a negative opinion of Trump, compared to only 11 percent who felt that way about Obama.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-popular-donald-trump-uk-presidents-favorability-rating-far-lower-barack-obamas-1441803

6 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

Who has he bullied and how has he bullied them.

Has he sent forces to Vietnam, Iraq, Afghanistan or Libya to force them to tow the line or overthrown their governments like his predecessors did?

His brilliant negotiation skills consist solely of one thing: bullying. Sorry, two things. Because when that doesn't work, he retreats with the tail between his legs, trying desperately to dress it up as a victory. Just look at how that went with NAFTA 2.0.

2 minutes ago, yogi100 said:

What forces has he sent into Iran?

You said "bullied". He's using economic weapons that the rest of the world depends on to do it. And not just that. You think the US armed forces he sent aren't there for intimidation? Are you saying that using armed forces to intimidate isn't bullying?

2 minutes ago, Presto said:

His brilliant negotiation skills consist solely of one thing: bullying. Sorry, two things. Because when that doesn't work, he retreats with the tail between his legs, trying desperately to dress it up as a victory. Just look at how that went with NAFTA 2.0.

Trump puts the USA first and his doing so does not have to make it a matter open for negotiation.

He realises that he has to answer to the American public who voted for him not the Chinese nor the Iranian governments.

5 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

You said "bullied". He's using economic weapons that the rest of the world depends on to do it. And not just that. You think the US armed forces he sent aren't there for intimidation? Are you saying that using armed forces to intimidate isn't bullying?

He's not sent any armed forces 'there' if your referring to Iran.

10 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

HOW POPULAR IS DONALD TRUMP IN THE U.K.? PRESIDENT'S FAVORABILITY RATING FAR LOWER THAN BARACK OBAMA'S

United Kingdom residents have an overwhelmingly unfavorable view of President Donald Trump, with recent polls showing only 21 percent of Great Britain having a positive opinion of the United States leader.

Political opinion data from YouGov U.K. shows Trump, who is visiting the U.K. this week with his family, ranks only behind former President Barack Obama in terms of fame. But among U.K. residents surveyed between May 2018 and April 2019, two-thirds had a negative opinion of Trump, compared to only 11 percent who felt that way about Obama.

https://www.newsweek.com/how-popular-donald-trump-uk-presidents-favorability-rating-far-lower-barack-obamas-1441803

"YouGov U.K." Say no more.

How come none of my friends who like myself no longer have any faith in our MSM and leftist agencies like the BBC are never asked to take part in these polls.

We never even hear about these polls being organised. Polls told us that we'd elect to remain in the EU and that Hillary Clinton would be sworn in as POTUS. So much for polls especially when they are obviously selective when it comes to the participants.

One poll was conducted among the audience of the BBC Question Time audience and was claimed to represent general public opinion.

I highly suspect the ambassador wanted to return to the UK a few months early. Retire in December but want a summer in the UK , away from Washington, easy peasy to release a memo or two and get to be persona non grata with Trump. Now the ambassador gets to do his last five months or so in English countryside instead of DC. 

8 hours ago, yogi100 said:

"YouGov U.K." Say no more.

How come none of my friends who like myself no longer have any faith in our MSM and leftist agencies like the BBC are never asked to take part in these polls.

We never even hear about these polls being organised. Polls told us that we'd elect to remain in the EU and that Hillary Clinton would be sworn in as POTUS. So much for polls especially when they are obviously selective when it comes to the participants.

One poll was conducted among the audience of the BBC Question Time audience and was claimed to represent general public opinion.

The polls you cited showed very close margins. Polls about Trump's popularity don't. Except they do show him as being popular amongst UKIP supporters. They do tend to believe that they are the majority.

13 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Yogi two things Donald puts people who support him first others he attacks and I would advise you to be careful of what you wish for he is not all he says he is

13 hours ago, Presto said:

Wrong. He also pulls out of treaties and negotiations without attempting to deal with other parties. He takes his toys and goes home, hoping others will come beg him to return.

41 minutes ago, bristolboy said:

The polls you cited showed very close margins. Polls about Trump's popularity don't. Except they do show him as being popular amongst UKIP supporters. They do tend to believe that they are the majority.

"They do tend to believe that they are the majority."

They were.

Darroch advised British officials to flatter Trump. "For a man who has risen to the highest office on the planet, President Trump radiates insecurity." Seems that although heaping much criticism on the Ambassador they are choosing to follow his advice  with much bum kissing of Trump. Sickening !!!!!!

13 minutes ago, Tug said:

Yogi two things Donald puts people who support him first others he attacks and I would advise you to be careful of what you wish for he is not all he says he is

But if you live in a country in which the indigenous people are treated like second class citizens then believe me Trump would be a breath of fresh air.

Cockneys is a term used to describe the working class people of London. If you should visit London ask yourself where are they all. 40 years ago there were around 7 million of 'em.

13 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Trump puts the USA first and his doing so does not have to make it a matter open for negotiation.

He realises that he has to answer to the American public who voted for him not the Chinese nor the Iranian governments.

To be absolute clear it was the smaller minority who voted for him

5 minutes ago, expatfromwyoming said:

To be absolute clear it was the smaller minority who voted for him

You just advised me to "Take him then- your welcome to him"

If your voting system is so flawed why did you not adjust it before your election. I assume the American people had every opportunity to. I could now illogically advise you that that is what you should have done before your election.

But now such futile advice would be just as ridiculous and impossible for you to follow as it is for me to "Take him then - your welcome to him".

15 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Don't worry! You'll get Boris soon; these two can play in the same league of kindergarten ????
Funny that these 2 countries have the word 'United' in their name ????

14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

What forces has he sent into Iran?

14 hours ago, bristolboy said:

Don't get me wrong..... I am NOT a Trump fan........ BUT ....... when a country like Iran enriches nuclear uranium and threatens to use it agains't the USA, Isreal and others......... YOU...... want to try to defend IRAN agains't 'Bullying'.........

If you can picture an mosquito attempting to bite the USA and we are trying hard to avoid killing the mosquito..... But we want to make sure the mosquito gets the message.... DON"T MESS WITH US....... OR ELSE..........

YOU can call that 'Bullying'....... I CALL IT being 'matter of factual'

2 minutes ago, sawadeeken said:

Don't get me wrong..... I am NOT a Trump fan........ BUT ....... when a country like Iran enriches nuclear uranium and threatens to use it agains't the USA, Isreal and others......... YOU...... want to try to defend IRAN agains't 'Bullying'.........

If you can picture an mosquito attempting to bite the USA and we are trying hard to avoid killing the mosquito..... But we want to make sure the mosquito gets the message.... DON"T MESS WITH US....... OR ELSE..........

YOU can call that 'Bullying'....... I CALL IT being 'matter of factual'

When did Iran threaten anyone with Nukes ?

They've always stated that its for energy purposes and not bombs

16 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Indeed .. " . “And when the British come for a free-trade agreement, there will be blood on the walls and it will be British blood. It will be GMOs breakfast, lunch and dinner.”

It’s really bilateral relationships on the basis of the balance of power and the defence of narrow American interest

No question about it. And even a candid and honest ambassador who tells it like he sees it, and a terribly immature president, who feels the need to attack anyone, and everyone who criticizes him, due to his incredibly low self esteem, and lack of love for himself (masked by grandiosity and bragadacchio), cannot and will not drive a wedge in between this relationship. 

Archived