BREAKING: One killed in Chiang Mai plane crash: See video

snoop1130

I see those jets every day and a few years back there was always 3.

It reduced to 2 for at least a year but in the last month there has been 4 flying which is a first.

I suspected it was new intake of trainees, but as for training thry just take off, circle a few times and land.

They certainly arent tornadoes flying at 100ft through the lake district.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Huge Govt surplus and shitty eastern bloc planes! Wing 41 in the heart of CM. I see them whizzing around , planes and helicopters,   quite often from my balcony. Let’s hope they get their damn act together. 

RIP to the pilot. 

It’s a long time since what is now the Czech Republic was part of the Eastern Bloc, but don’t let that get in the way of a spot of Thai bashing.

3 minutes ago, StevieAus said:

It’s a long time since what is now the Czech Republic was part of the Eastern Bloc, but don’t let that get in the way of a spot of Thai bashing.

True. I regret saying that. I felt for the dead pilot.

RIP mate.

Hope it came quick for you.

what the <deleted>! A military aircraft base on a civilian airport!

yeah yeah I know there are precedents on the globe for this.

myst have a p-poor budget to not have a military strip of their own?!

refurbish one of the old US Vietnam war bases across the north maybe??

Been flying over Hang Dong in three's and four's for a week or more lately but used to seeing them down the years and the L39 has a pretty good safety record.   Something went wrong and knowing this country as we do i doubt we will ever learn the truth, which is always served up in very short measure owing to the dreaded 'Loss of Face' disorder.

RIP the Instructor and Condolencies to his Family.

4 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

What does “when the altitude is too low” mean?

i wonder if he ejected at all? The trainees are suppose to be making the mistakes not the instructors...

interested to hear their final conversation....a critical mistake was made somewhere in the final minutes

In answer to your post

#1 too low means the ejector seat is deployed but not enough altitude is available to open the parachute thus allowing a reduction of speed upon landing.

#2 it's easy to determine if an ejector seat has been deployed, who said a mistake was made?
#3 Maybe there was a critical aircraft failure, not necessarily a mistake by either trainee or instructor.

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Have seen a couple of these mosquitos buzzing around for the last few days unfortunately every landing aircraft passes directly over my house at 2-300ft not a problem I'm well used to aircraft noise having lived for decades on the RAF Lyneham flight path but this is a little more concerning having come down only seconds away from me and the inner-city airport it was heading for and not the first time seam to remember one last year also it maybe time to move the military out of CM airport for the publics safety to somewhere more remote to do their future crashing ????RIP         

move the military out ??? 555 - commercial airport is on army/air force area...

4 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

every landing aircraft passes directly over my house at 2-300ft not a problem I'm well used t

Not a healthy way and area to live with all that kerosene gas pollution 

Obviously there some aircraft problem or failure.....doesn’t mean you accept death...

the findings will show whether response time was timely or not...

and living in a 3rd world country, the true findings probably won’t be made public especially if human error was involved ...face saving esp with a military death

5 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

i wonder if he ejected at all? The trainees are suppose to be making the mistakes not the instructors...

interested to hear their final conversation....a critical mistake was made somewhere in the final minutes

l should think did not a Martin Baker zero zero seat fitted in such a old aircraft..

6 hours ago, Brickbat said:

Huge Govt surplus and shitty eastern bloc planes! Wing 41 in the heart of CM. I see them whizzing around , planes and helicopters,   quite often from my balcony. Let’s hope they get their damn act together. 

RIP to the pilot. 

L39 Albatros is one of the best jet trainers in the world, nowhere being " shitty". Better than most but shit happens....

6 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Have seen a couple of these mosquitos buzzing around for the last few days unfortunately every landing aircraft passes directly over my house at 2-300ft not a problem I'm well used to aircraft noise having lived for decades on the RAF Lyneham flight path but this is a little more concerning having come down only seconds away from me and the inner-city airport it was heading for and not the first time seam to remember one last year also it maybe time to move the military out of CM airport for the publics safety to somewhere more remote to do their future crashing ????RIP         

I believe CM airport is actually on the airforce base

5 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

altitude means the height from the ground if you use ejection at a very low altitude you have a serious problem from the article can’t say what when wrong.

You are correct, it doesn't say what went wrong, but it takes time for the ejection seat parachutes to deploy, ejection too close to the ground may mean that the parachutes on the ejection seat didn't have time to deploy. (oops...my apologies, didn't see the earlier post already stating that)

Mrs. LawrenceN is in a chat group with the mother of the deceased who was told her son stayed with the plane to steer it away from houses, to avoid loss of life. By the time he was clear of the populated area, it was too late to eject safely.

14 hours ago, RichardColeman said:

Sorry, but the way it is written sounds like a Thai coach driver doing a runner !

"An RTAF source said that the survivor was the first to eject from the dropping aircraft, and the instructor ejected when the altitude was too low"

The Instructor most probably was trying to get the air-plane away from the town or villages and to crash at a safer place !!!

R.I.P. ...RESPECT !!! A courageous man !!!

American aircraft including air force trainers are equipted with a 0 feet ejection seat, meaning you can eject from the ground

and still have enough altitude for your chute to open.
Not if you are nose down trying to eject at 1 foot

13 hours ago, cardinalblue said:

Some injection seat in aircraft are not "Zero" seats allowing one  to eject even while the plane is on the ground. So, if one ejects at an altitude that is too low, your chances are not good! 

11 hours ago, Expat Tom said:

Some injection seat in aircraft are not "Zero" seats allowing one  to eject even while the plane is on the ground. So, if one ejects at an altitude that is too low, your chances are not good! 

Exactly. Older seats did not have enough charge to push the seat high enough to work properly so a certain amount of aircraft height was required for a successful ejection.

I used to be an aircraft engineer and your life depended on knowing which pins should be where before entering the cockpit, extremely dangerous equipment ejection seats.

On 7/12/2019 at 12:03 PM, KOZMO said:

American aircraft including air force trainers are equipted with a 0 feet ejection seat, meaning you can eject from the ground

and still have enough altitude for your chute to open.

Even if you are upside down? 

I'd humbly suggest that aircraft speed attitude, altitude and other factors maybe other factors for consideration 

Archived