BANGKOK 19 July 2019 21:40
snoop1130

Cheaper power bills on the way, thanks to state subsidies

Cheaper power bills on the way, thanks to state subsidies

By The Nation

800_c29c63385065cc4.jpg

Electricity customers across the country are likely to receive cheaper bills from September to December this year, as the automatic FT (Float Time) charge will be subsidised over those four months, Office of Energy Regulatory Commission (OERC) chief Narupat Amornkosit said on Thursday.

Secretary-general Narupat said that around Bt3 billion of the subsidy would come from a special fund created by all three state-funded electricity companies: the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) and Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA).

She said that another Bt6 billion would then be further subsidised by those three agencies using any money available to them. The total Bt9 billion subsidy would make per-unit FT charge drop to Bt11.60, reducing from the Bt16.82 between May and August.

Narupat said the OERC initiated the subsidy to help consumers and the country as a whole, coupled with another key factor, the stronger baht.

She said the OERC would need to see whether the subsidy would also be available in the first four months of 2020 and that would depend on many factors, including the value of the baht at that time and the price of coal and oil.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372804

logo2.jpg

- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-11

23 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The total Bt9 billion subsidy would make per-unit FT charge drop to Bt11.60, reducing from the Bt16.82 between May and August.

The FT adjustment on my May and June bills is 0.1160B per unit (not 11.60B) so I dont see where the 16.82 (presumably actually 0.1682B) mentioned comes from.

Besides which the FT is applied as a negative adjustment so to go from 16 to 11 (or 0.16 to 0.11) would in fact be an increase anyway.

I doubt the reduction will be evident in our bills. Not the farangs, we will be charged for the discount!

• Haha 2

34 minutes ago, rwill said:

when I looked it up it actually says Ft is a fuel adjustment tax, not float time. It can be a positive or negative value. Currently it is in the negative which reduces your bill. Ft on my bills has been at .1160 for several months now it was at -.1590 before that. So I think maybe they got the numbers reversed and it will be going from -.1160 to -.1682. Also the figures they are using would be per 100 units.

So basically another reason not to cry in our soup when newspapers die out... or perhaps more reason to cry when the surviving newspapers reprint bullshit received from official sources without bothering to do a spellcheck or fact check or comprehension check of any kind.

• Like 2

in a land of sun, sea & s....   so little investment in solar power, which is good for many hours of strong sun, but ignored as not profitable...

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, justin case said:

in a land of sun, sea & s....   so little investment in solar power, which is good for many hours of strong sun, but ignored as not profitable...

Just in Ratchaburi I know of 2 large solar farms and there may be more of them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

I doubt the reduction will be evident in our bills. Not the farangs, we will be charged for the discount!

Usually the bill is in a Thai name

• Like 2