Cheaper power bills on the way, thanks to state subsidies

snoop1130

Cheaper power bills on the way, thanks to state subsidies

By The Nation

800_c29c63385065cc4.jpg

Electricity customers across the country are likely to receive cheaper bills from September to December this year, as the automatic FT (Float Time) charge will be subsidised over those four months, Office of Energy Regulatory Commission (OERC) chief Narupat Amornkosit said on Thursday.

Secretary-general Narupat said that around Bt3 billion of the subsidy would come from a special fund created by all three state-funded electricity companies: the Electricity Generating Authority of Thailand (EGAT), Metropolitan Electricity Authority (MEA) and Provincial Electricity Authority (PEA).

She said that another Bt6 billion would then be further subsidised by those three agencies using any money available to them. The total Bt9 billion subsidy would make per-unit FT charge drop to Bt11.60, reducing from the Bt16.82 between May and August.

Narupat said the OERC initiated the subsidy to help consumers and the country as a whole, coupled with another key factor, the stronger baht.

She said the OERC would need to see whether the subsidy would also be available in the first four months of 2020 and that would depend on many factors, including the value of the baht at that time and the price of coal and oil.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372804

logo2.jpg

- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-11

23 minutes ago, snoop1130 said:

The total Bt9 billion subsidy would make per-unit FT charge drop to Bt11.60, reducing from the Bt16.82 between May and August.

The FT adjustment on my May and June bills is 0.1160B per unit (not 11.60B) so I dont see where the 16.82 (presumably actually 0.1682B) mentioned comes from.

Besides which the FT is applied as a negative adjustment so to go from 16 to 11 (or 0.16 to 0.11) would in fact be an increase anyway.

13 hours ago, faraday said:

Anyone know what Float Time is?

when I looked it up it actually says Ft is a fuel adjustment tax, not float time.  It can be a positive or negative value.  Currently it is in the negative which reduces your bill.  Ft on my bills has been at .1160 for several months now it was at -.1590 before that.  So I think maybe they got the numbers reversed and it will be going from -.1160 to -.1682.  Also the figures they are using would be per 100 units.

The money would be better spent on improving the system,

so the electrictricity does not go off,when it rains,even when 

it looks like rain,or when a mouse farts in the garden,it really

needs fixing.

regards worgeordie

34 minutes ago, rwill said:

when I looked it up it actually says Ft is a fuel adjustment tax, not float time. It can be a positive or negative value. Currently it is in the negative which reduces your bill. Ft on my bills has been at .1160 for several months now it was at -.1590 before that. So I think maybe they got the numbers reversed and it will be going from -.1160 to -.1682. Also the figures they are using would be per 100 units.

So basically another reason not to cry in our soup when newspapers die out... or perhaps more reason to cry when the surviving newspapers reprint bullshit received from official sources without bothering to do a spellcheck or fact check or comprehension check of any kind.

25 minutes ago, justin case said:

in a land of sun, sea & s....   so little investment in solar power, which is good for many hours of strong sun, but ignored as not profitable...

Just in Ratchaburi I know of 2 large solar farms and there may be more of them.

So I will be saving 6 satang per unit.

On my 2000B bill, that will be about 20B.

If this is costing them 10,000,000,000B, we need 500 million household bills of 2000B/month to make the books balance on residential bills. Given the average bill is more likely 500B, and there are about 20 million households, this would take nearly 10 years to balance.

My point is, this is only going to make a noticeable difference to the Centrals and Big Cs of the world. And still it would be better spent on infrastructure.

23 hours ago, justin case said:

in a land of sun, sea & s....   so little investment in solar power, which is good for many hours of strong sun, but ignored as not profitable...

If the UK with its meagre amount of sunshine can make solar power viable, why can't Thailand?  (I suspect because the monopoly has not been set up yet.)

On 7/12/2019 at 9:58 AM, ben2talk said:

more reason to cry when the surviving newspapers reprint bullshit received from official sources without bothering to do a spellcheck or fact check or comprehension check of any kind.

Indeed a big mess.

So the fact: unit price goes down 0.0522 Baht.

That's a whopping 1.3% approx. (4 Baht/unit assumed as avarage).

For our monthly bill ~ 25 Baht.

So I can buy two more packs of chewing gum.

Yippee!

3 hours ago, mikebell said:

If the UK with its meagre amount of sunshine can make solar power viable, why can't Thailand?  (I suspect because the monopoly has not been set up yet.)

I had a look at it a few years ago and from memory it appeared quite expensive to set up and would take a long time to recoup the investment plus there was some problem about selling surplus back to the PEA.

Considering we don’t need any heating and for part of the year don’t heat the water for showering it’s not as attractive as in other countries unless you could use it to run the air con.

I seem to recall that in Australia in some States the installation was subsidized by the government and there was some buy back of surplus power generation.

I did read a article that the whole thing became uneconomical due to the subsidies but cant remember the details.

If anyone has any current information for cost installation etc would be interested.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:55 AM, worgeordie said:

The money would be better spent on improving the system,

so the electrictricity does not go off,when it rains,even when 

it looks like rain,or when a mouse farts in the garden,it really

needs fixing.

regards worgeordie

Ours goes off regularly , every time it does we ring the department. The first words are ... Is it raining,windy or thunder .I tell my wife to tell them the mouse farted .It is a joke , especially when theY can spend so much on bloody submarines and a plane for out deputy leader. 

Archived