Motorbike rascals, noises - and fines

otaku00

Let me first say that I understand how someone can be fascinated by driving a loud motorbike.

I also understand that Thais have a high tolerance for noise, giving the loud concerts, bar music etc. 

Although living in Pattaya, the problem I now describe has obviously become a nationwide pandemic.

It is the newer and manipulated motorbikes that got louder over the past years and are now more widespread.

This may come as a surprise as the import of such motorbikes was prohibited years ago and there are fines of about 1000 baht for "unnecessary noise" (once in a while you may even see a billboard informing about it). 

What I see is policemen stopping people who drive without a helmet or the farang (or Thai) who may not have a licence. Those who are constantly endangering others -  the noisiest are often also speeding up - are rarely stopped although they could easily bring in most of the fines. I heard that in one part of BKK as part of a pilot project they recently even confiscated such a kind of bike, at least after repeated offences. But overall the situation is getting worse.

Now why is this a bigger offence than people driving without a helmet e.g. and mainly endangering themselves?

The rascals do this day and night, surely disturb the peace and sleep of many which will effect their health one way or the other (stress) and like any significant noise polution in the end even reduce the GDP of a nation. I do not understand - as the laws are there - how police can behave so ridiculously and tell everyone that they are helpless by not taking care of this problem. I think that a human driving such a bike should ask himself what would happen if anyone would just do what makes him happy, esp. in terms of making noise. One could run around with a whistle, playing drums in front of a rascal's  appartment etc. Would those bikers like that? And because it is mainly Thais who cause this problem (to my own surprise) - where is their respect for the elders and the community?

Anyway, it is a topic that could be solved by repeated and consequent fining. I want to ask around if anyone has done anything against it or knows of any action that is planned, privately or by the government. Lately I heard Thais complaining about it and thought that the majority of them could be on my site regarding this topic.

You  ask a very valid question. A question I  echo and regularly put  to  Thai. It seems they too  have a great dislike  but a quiet massive objection but no overall either individual or community resolve to demand it stop.

It comes down to a  cultural/social  denial of it as important simply  because besides their  own family members being offenders  so are those or the family members of   "high " or authoritive  society.

So to voice objection risks being labelled as a social dissenter and not loyal to the community.

In general the Thai population is more  compliant with assumed or inferred peer status than with whatever legal status they might have which enables an adoption of ignorant attitude to that which other  cultures and societies would consider unacceptable. The  "denial"  culture where if possible anything  is  due to someone or some thing  other than self or in the context of noise it is "normal"  because  everybody  does  same.

Seemingly  random  efforts are  made to  enforce  existing regulations  but no  consistency.

Because it is an ingrained  attitude I have been forced to live with the fact despite my personal objections.

Every  culture  has it's quirks so as an foreign  inhabitant my tolerance is as limited as is by  virtue of that  culture are the nationals even if for a difference in perspective.

At best is where possible to find Thai who genuinely understand and agree has to be sufficient without expectation of  any dramatic  change.

Because Thais are used to noise all their life, so they are just not disturbed by it.

It's also not that they want to be unpolite, they just don't ever think about that their noise might disturb others.

Last sunday evening, i was just on the way back home, maybe about 10 or 11pm. When i was going to turn into my moobaan i heard some music, like a festival.

I'm living a bit outside of the city, usually here is not much in the evening, so i was wondering what this is.

I started to follow the music, i expected it to come from somewhere from within 1km radius. But it turned out to be a 8km trip.

It was a village party in front of a temple, a stage, band, dancers and maybe 200 people.

Having a look on Google Maps showed that the air line distance from my moobaan to this place is about 5kms.

Don't they think that some people might want to sleep at 11pm on a Sunday? Trying to sleep within 1-2kms of this party was probably difficult.

An hour later, when i was going to sleep, i could still hear them playing music, no idea when they finally stopped.

All youths generally do something to make their ride sound more sporty. I don't think volume is their primary motive. Their dad's and grandfathers ride bikes that sound like they are permanently farting. Youths want sporty. Same goes for older more affluent guys with cars.

This is not unique to Thailand. Maybe the difference hear is the hours. When I was their age (scooter) I was generally home in bed. Nothing to do where I lived at that age. When I got a car and was old enough to go to the pub then I would be out somewhere. 

Young boys want to attract young girls so how to do. Birds of paradise (PNG) have elaborate plumage. Thai human youths nave gaudy motorbikes. The sporty exhaust says "look at me"? Same logic with no helmets at night. Wear a helmet you cannot be seen so who knows who you are of how handsome you are?

It is just how it is.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

It's also not that they want to be unpolite, they just don't ever think about that their noise might disturb others.

They are not "unpolite" they are ignorant, the Me, me, me attitude prevails, same as their driving, due to a lack of any form of discipline or need for self discipline in their lives.

12 hours ago, jackdd said:

Because Thais are used to noise all their life, so they are just not disturbed by it.

Or because they know their fellow citizens are likely to resort to violence if they complain, they HAVE to get used to noise, that's why they are so lethargic, always tired they never get any quality rest.

The trucks driven by the noisy motorbike riders parents are generally noisier & far more polluting than motorbikes, roaring through small villages causcing both noise and air pollution, they are the parents of Somchai motorbike riders! What hope does social conscience have?

The lower class in Thailand who make up the vast majority are for the most part uneducated, the education they have is more "indoctrination" than education. 

They are raised to believe noise equals fun, as were there parents. The last thing the "government" wants is an educated "lower class" so for the most part they are left alone to behave as they always have, don't look for any change in the near future, the powers that be are quite content with the status quo as it is

I totally agree with "Otaku00". well written!

if anyone disagrees, I suggest they spend an evening in a restaurant or in a bar (outside) on soi Lengkee in Pattaya. I live here since 1 1/2 years and it is unbelievable what is going on in this soi. Noise, speeding, pollution and so on, not to talk about the 90% of bike drivers and passengers without helmet.

In the 1 1/2 years I have never seen a police man in this soi, except for twice when there was motorbike accidents.

thaisabai

The OP which was spot on regarding noise , and we all suffer from it. But when the bike can get no louder with open pipes the riders resort to blue rear lights and red or green lights on the front , totaly illegal but the BiB can't stop 80% of riders. But don't those Waves look cool at night ............no they look bloody awful .

21 minutes ago, lipflipper said:

Since most of these Thai young Toss..pots can't afford a proper motorbike so they resort to add on pipes in the silly hope people will pay attention to them. About all it does IMO is make them out to be too stupid to breath.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

otaku00 .  A good opener , ....where is their respect for the elders and the community ?   Not much hope for these youngsters when the family pickup has a silencer fitted with a foot diameter outlet.  More sad I think that dad has to make his 20 yo 2 litre pickup look so rediculous , who is he kidding ?   

On 7/11/2019 at 8:43 PM, Dumbastheycome said:

You  ask a very valid question. A question I  echo and regularly put  to  Thai. It seems they too  have a great dislike  but a quiet massive objection but no overall either individual or community resolve to demand it stop.

It comes down to a  cultural/social  denial of it as important simply  because besides their  own family members being offenders  so are those or the family members of   "high " or authoritive  society.

So to voice objection risks being labelled as a social dissenter and not loyal to the community.

In general the Thai population is more  compliant with assumed or inferred peer status than with whatever legal status they might have which enables an adoption of ignorant attitude to that which other  cultures and societies would consider unacceptable. The  "denial"  culture where if possible anything  is  due to someone or some thing  other than self or in the context of noise it is "normal"  because  everybody  does  same.

Seemingly  random  efforts are  made to  enforce  existing regulations  but no  consistency.

Because it is an ingrained  attitude I have been forced to live with the fact despite my personal objections.

Every  culture  has it's quirks so as an foreign  inhabitant my tolerance is as limited as is by  virtue of that  culture are the nationals even if for a difference in perspective.

At best is where possible to find Thai who genuinely understand and agree has to be sufficient without expectation of  any dramatic  change.

Some years ago I looked up the Thai Constitution on noise.I found a paragraph saying ."Ever person is entitled to peace and quiet without disturbance". Looking it up in the revised Constitution there's nothing to be found. World Health Organisation count noise has a health problem and so it is. I get furious trying to listen to something but can not hear at times due to the noise of passing MC, cars can be as bad..

2 hours ago, Percy P said:

Some years ago I looked up the Thai Constitution on noise.I found a paragraph saying ."Ever person is entitled to peace and quiet without disturbance". Looking it up in the revised Constitution there's nothing to be found. World Health Organisation count noise has a health problem and so it is. I get furious trying to listen to something but can not hear at times due to the noise of passing MC, cars can be as bad.. 

It has been a while since i looked this up in detail, but afaik the Thai law argumentation regarding noise is: Excessive noise is causing harm to the health of another person, and there is of course some law which says it's forbidden to harm the health of another person.

Now try to find somebody who will enforce this....

Archived