Non-O extension. Next Year Must Have Health Insurance

Just now, wimpy said:

I have a good friend that is over 70, with serious health issues. I can't imagine this will be good for him.

Exactly my point, most likely any policy would exclude pre existing conditions, so in essence he would have to pay for a cover which he could never use for his conditions.

If however some insurance company will include pre existing condition, then it may not be a bad idea, but would be interesting to see the premiums for such a low paying policy. Usually cover for intpatient treatment almost doubles to outpatient only cover. 

So will need to wait it out a bit longer to see if just another waste of money or something useful

11 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

O-X Visa                   1.7 Applicants must have Thai medical insurance during their stay in Thailand (per the approval of the Office of Insurance Commission) and medical claims for outpatient must not be less than 40,000 Baht, for inpatient must not be less than 400,000 Baht.

http://www.thaiembassy.org/hague/th/services/81359-Non-Immigrant-Visa-O-X-(Long-Stay).html

This is the same coverage that's being drawn up for the new Non O-A requirements. I think Lampang must have got their wires crossed - if the insurance is to apply to all existing Non O extensions this'd be very major news indeed. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, BestB said:

Exactly my point, most likely any policy would exclude pre existing conditions, so in essence he would have to pay for a cover which he could never use for his conditions.

If however some insurance company will include pre existing condition, then it may not be a bad idea, but would be interesting to see the premiums for such a low paying policy. Usually cover for intpatient treatment almost doubles to outpatient only cover. 

So will need to wait it out a bit longer to see if just another waste of money or something useful

When this was first proposed for OA visa holders, most of the companies I looked at excluded new policies for people over 70. What is my friend, that is over 70 and in poor health going to do? His whole life and his family are here.

1 minute ago, wimpy said:

When this was first proposed for OA visa holders, most of the companies I looked at excluded new policies for people over 70. What is my friend, that is over 70 and in poor health going to do? His whole life and his family are here.

The talk is companies would accept all ages, but again, only a talk and they might indeed accept all ages at a premium price when payout is capped at such a minimal amount. 

David Shields i believe offers policy to over 70, but as you know very high premiums, though one way to offset it is to opt for low premium but high excess 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

Because at this time the only visa/extension requiring health Insurance is the O-X which I linked and all of the long stay insurance policies listed on this site relate to 400K 40k inpatient coverage. 

And that is what the agents from Pacific Cross and 3 other insurance companies have told me.  

They all said the same thing.  No requirement except for the O-X and only cabinet approval for the O-A outside of Thailand.   

In any  event no one has mentioned or implied or written that there is a 400k out patient requirement as you stated in error.  

Read the OP again to see what he was extending. where did i state 400 000 outpatient? i said 400 000 max payout per year, but policy must include both OPD and IPD

• Confused 1

6 minutes ago, BestB said:

The talk is companies would accept all ages, but again, only a talk and they might indeed accept all ages at a premium price when payout is capped at such a minimal amount. 

David Shields i believe offers policy to over 70, but as you know very high premiums, though one way to offset it is to opt for low premium but high excess 

The agents/companies listed on this forum can provide you with information on the companies that offer coverage starting at 70 years and older and going up to 100 and David Shields is not among them.  

40 minutes ago, BestB said:

you believe wrong

I wrote the insurance requirement was 400K and 40k inpatient and you wrote, "you believe wrong."  

I wrote the only visa/extension requiring health insurance is an O-X visa and you wrote that I was wrong.  Nope you are in error the only visa/extension now requiring health insurance is an O-X.

4 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

The agents/companies listed on this forum can provide you with information on the companies that offer coverage starting at 70 years and older and going up to 100 and David Shields is not among them.  

I said i believe which means not certain and David Shield is a new player in Thai market sold only by 1 broker 

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

I wrote the insurance requirement was 400K and 40k inpatient and you wrote, "you believe wrong."  

I wrote the only visa/extension requiring health insurance is an O-X visa and you wrote that I was wrong.  Nope you are in error the only visa/extension now requiring health insurance is an O-X.

Read the OP again, he was doing the extension and was NOT required to have insurance but told next year he might as it is being discussed to be introduced.

I apologize if i confused you

• Confused 1

54 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

I don't doubt they said it and you understood them correctly, though I wouldn't put a lot of stock in anything an IO told me at the current time. They seem to be all over the place in knowing what they're doing. 

I was told i could not extend a non-o entry for the two months for the 1900 baht. I sat there and had three officers telling me this. The dumbest part was I believed them even though I was sure I read otherwise on here. 

True story. Flat out did not believe i could extend a non o for the two more months. 

7 minutes ago, BestB said:

Read the OP again, he was doing the extension and was NOT required to have insurance but told next year he might as it is being discussed to be introduced.

I apologize if i confused you

The immigration officer told me today that she had been informed that it had been decided already. They were just waiting for the written order to arrive.

First I've heard of this applying to extensions and Non O's. Wonder if they're confusing it with the mandatory insurance that's still getting final approval for new Non O-A applications? If they're going to push through these rules for all people doing Non O extensions, they're going to be opening one hell of a can of worms. 
Cans of worms is how they roll init.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, brewsterbudgen said:

A thread based on what a lowly regional immigration officer has said "might" or "is likely to" happen? Do we really need another rumour thread? The last one was almost definite that the requirement would start from 1 July. It didn't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

You are free to ignore the thread. I suspect many here might appreciate the data point.

1 minute ago, DrJack54 said:

So now your the ONE report of this experience. Also becomes plural "officers". Your post is not even accurate about level of insurance that is proposed for new applications for non O-A.

Post factual stuff. IO are renowned for feeding out info they have zero knowledge about.

But I would have thought that regarding the health insurance requirement the writing was on the wall. So OP's story isn't unbelievable at all. 

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

So now your the ONE report of this experience. Also becomes plural "officers". Your post is not even accurate about level of insurance that is proposed for new applications for non O-A.

Post factual stuff. IO are renowned for feeding out info they have zero knowledge about.

There were two officers sitting next to each other speaking to me, to be precise.

2 minutes ago, KiChakayan said:

But I would have thought that regarding the health insurance requirement the writing was on the wall. So OP's story isn't unbelievable at all. 

I love that movie.. conspiracy theory. Mel Gibson.