Non-O extension. Next Year Must Have Health Insurance

14 minutes ago, OJAS said:

IMHO you are clearly demonstrating in a number of your posts on this particular thread that "saving face" is not the sole and exclusive preserve of Thai nationals!

In my opinion.  I could not care less about your opinion 

• Sad 2
  • Haha 1

So if this story is true , then immigration wish us to live from 33 333 baht a month...and pay insurrance on top from that 
33 333 baht a month ...how come on that amount , simple 5 months 800K blocked , and 7 months half only can be used , so 400 000 divided by 12 months give me that 33 333 baht 
Totally in contradiction with their own rule that we need 65000 baht a month for living 
This of course calculated on their demand for 880 k on bank , and only for those who use so 

Anyway it is clear they take 33 333 baht out our spending expenses ….the north east shall feel this I think ….and they don't like the present rulers already not much 

Edited by david555
  • Confused 3

4 hours ago, wilailuk said:

Doesn´t matter, it´s hit and miss with that mysterious language, you can bend and twist anything into meaning something totally different than first intended..

I wonder if my travel insurance  does the trick...fully covered max 90 days.

Health insurance becoming mandatory. Ok, why is some people fussing around so much about that. Everybody that reside in another country must feel the need to have an insurance. Not having one is an irresponsible act of major proportions. Today everybody must know that and already have an insurance, becasue that is the only logical way to behave. And a minimal and measly cover of 400/40 in-out should not be a problem. That´s the least needed if an accident or illness should emerge.

No reason to complain. The country a person is staying in is not the one and it has no responsibility to pay for an individual. Friends and family shall not be forced to pay out of a persons irresponsibility. Last but not least. GoFundMe is not a regular place to ask for money, just because a person have been choosing to not care about themselfs and got the protection needed.

Health insurance, according to me, should have been mandatory already 20-30 years ago. It´s something that the regular person that plans their live think of as one of the first things in life. I really do welcome such a decision and change.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Like 1
  • Confused 4
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, fishtank said:

Measly cover for a sky high price is a huge problem.

The price depends on if you planned your life, and got the insurance when you did not have to pay so much. At an earlier age, that will say. It´s not just to move somewhare and blame age as a negative factor. At 40 years of age a focused person that know in what direction they want their life to go, starts planning. Can be compared with pension funds. It just not to start complain that a pension system starts to fall down when it´s 1 year left foe pension or social security. Most persons can see thoose signs long time before, and pay in to a plan for get a good life at old age.

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

How about I chose to self insure, namely keep a million baht available at all times for medical cover. The benefits are, there are no exclusions, no limits below the 1mil and it is not restricted by my age. I may decide a 400k/40k policy is insufficient and the conditions don't fit me. 

That can not be compared to an insurance, due to that you suddenly can change your mind on what to use the money for. Let´s say a family member have an emergency. You have money. Wouldn´t you save their life if you had the possibility? And that is only 1 example. That´s why your idea fails, and can not be considered like an option of security for a govenment in the country you chose to reside in.

8 hours ago, wimpy said:

The immigration officer told me today that she had been informed that it had been decided already. They were just waiting for the written order to arrive.

Well, I’m sure that all those seeking retirement extensions at the Lampang Immigration Office will be now be waiting with baited breath for further details about the wondrous new 400k in-patient, out-patient and shake-it-all-about-patient health insurance policy for which they, and only they, will, in all probability, be eligible!

7 hours ago, BestB said:

In my opinion.  I could not care less about your opinion 

And in my opinion I couldn't give a toss about yours either.

• Haha 2

7 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

And an insurance policy with it's limits and exclusions is no way comparable to the flexibility of cash. The added benefit I could use it for some other emergency before I replenish it is also a good point, thank you.

Insurance companies do not have my security in mind. I recently had to change my insurance and dump years of so called benefit of being with the same outfit, after they changed the terms.

I know this dicussion is a hot potato, and I just not argue more. The only thing to say is, some people wants to not think and complain, other wants to blame everything they can, because it can´t possibly be their fault by not thinking. Some, though, think before they do something and can have a good life with a buffer for changes. There is an expression for that. Do not ever, put all your eggs in one basket. If one breaks you can´t replace it.

• Confused 1

So what will this insurance cost the average expat per year? Any estimates. I wonder if those expats who already have government insurance and pay monthly for the privilege (which covers everything until death)will be  exempt.

9 hours ago, wimpy said:

I am simply reporting what I was told today. I am sure more info will be forthcoming soon.

Exactly. The thread title is misleading and click bait. Suggest it should be more along the lines of "A brief conversion between a NonO extender and the IO in a small office at Lampang"

• Like 2

1 minute ago, khaepmu said:

So what will this insurance cost the average expat per year? Any estimates. I wonder if those expats who already have government insurance and pay monthly for the privilege (which covers everything until death)will be  exempt.

The cost is a huge amount for very little cover.

Just now, MJKT2014 said:

Exactly. The thread title is misleading and click bait. Suggest it should be more along the lines of "A brief conversion between a NonO extender and the IO in a small office at Lampang"

Maybe add "clueless" in front of IO.

Most of them are.

14 minutes ago, lamyai3 said:

What about when the insurance (or self insurance) you've got doesn't fit their criteria, which are badly thought through by any assessment? 400k inpatient is ridiculously small for a serious medical situation, where 40k outpatient is absurdly high and totally unnecessary. 

That will only concern a person that have been taking the lowest possible way out for an insurance in life. How can you think about calling 40K baht absurdly high? Why would it be totally unnecessary? Does that mean there is no one that needs after treatment for a long time? No, it doesn´t because that is very common. Then it´s good to have an insurance that cover things without eating on the regular household money.

However, you are right about the inpatient. That one should have been 5m baht as a minimum, and then also higher out patient to the double. That is a good insurance that would cover most illness and accidents.

13 minutes ago, fishtank said:

What a load of rot.

Nope, its most definately not. It´s called planning your life, and not just go with the wind to undertake the exclusive right to conplain when the shit already broke the fan.

Edited by Matzzon
  • Confused 2

2 minutes ago, khaepmu said:

It will vary depending on age, but it would also be important to look at limits and exclusions. I would expect 30,000-40,000 baht p.a.. If it is well controlled by the government it could be a good package, although things that are obligatory rarely are.

I have always looked closely at daily limits for ICU or a hospital bed, where it often appears a public hospital is obligated. My nearest hospital is expensive, and a bed might be 12,000 a night, insurance offering 3000/night isn't doing me many favours. 

11 minutes ago, fishtank said:

What a load of rot.

I do not understand why so many are exited about this either. It´s just talking at this stage. Nothing has been made clear and regulated in any immigration law. On the other hand, it´s always better to plan and be prepared.

Edited by Matzzon

6 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

The price depends on if you planned your life, and got the insurance when you did not have to pay so much. At an earlier age, that will say. It´s not just to move somewhare and blame age as a negative factor.

Did you ever have a job? Just asking. My insurance coverage was provded by insurers in conjunction with my employment. When that is over you can for a time extend it for a time. However if living in a foreign country it will terminate at years renewal. 

So no it has nothing to do with planning your life. But I do like your answer and it does sound good. All I can say about the plans they put forth some months back. I likely will take on if it is required. Unfortunately that with full knowledge I will likely never use it and that it was designed that way. I’m lucky in that I will have a couple more retirement investments come on line in the next couple years. Not SS which is beer & Pizza money. Probably look at my retirement options again, as in countries.   :thumbsup:

• Like 1