Alleged Laotian sex workers in detention after raid on bar in Ubon

webfact

Alleged Laotian sex workers in detention after raid on bar

By The Nation

800_e4ffe927032f76d.jpg?v=1562841311

The Department of Special Investigation (DSI), the Army and police officers rounded up nine alleged Laotian female sex workers, including one girl aged under 18, from a karaoke bar in Ubon Ratchathani province on Wednesday in a crackdown on underage prostitution and human trafficking, a senior official said.

DSI chief Pol Colonel Paisit Wongmuang said on Thursday that his agency was ready to take up the case from the local police to punish those involved, especially if the case were to be linked to state officials.

The “Nong Bua Karaoke Bar” in Det Udom district was raided on Wednesday after police investigation and coordination with the Destiny Rescue Foundation showed that the Laotian women, who had allegedly been brought for prostitution at “King Thong Karaoke Bar” in Buntharik district, had been moved to this bar to escape an imminent raid, Paisit said.

The sex workers were currently being interviewed by a multi-disciplinary team which would separate the human trafficking victims for protection and rehabilitation.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372811

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-12

These stories always confuse me. Were they rescued from sex slavery trafficking or were they arrester for working as sex providers in Thailand doing a job reserved for Thais. I am not trying to be difficult or pedantic. Sex workers can make a lot of money in Thailand and many work at a bars, but they decide on whether to go with a customer or not, the price, and the service provided. They are small business entrepreneurs and I say, up to them. On the other hand if the women are held against their will, don't get to keep the money for the service provided and don't have final say that is an entirely different matter. There are plenty of willing girls in Pattaya, Phuket, and right across Thailand to a lesser degree. Did this bar not pay the required police fee or were they running a different business model from the one I have witnessed in Pattaya and Phuket.

8 hours ago, webfact said:

The “Nong Bua Karaoke Bar” in Det Udom district was raided on Wednesday after police investigation and coordination with the Destiny Rescue Foundation showed that the Laotian women, who had allegedly been brought for prostitution at “King Thong Karaoke Bar” in Buntharik district, had been moved to this bar to escape an imminent raid, Paisit said.

Seems like local plod are a bit too involved with this case to solve anything... some inactive posts to follow shortly!

Archived