Jailed financier Epstein seeks house arrest in Manhattan mansion

webfact

Jailed financier Epstein seeks house arrest in Manhattan mansion

By Brendan Pierson

2019-07-11T182339Z_1_LYNXNPEF6A1QX_RTROPTP_4_PEOPLE-JEFFREY-EPSTEIN.JPG

FILE PHOTO: U.S. financier Jeffrey Epstein appears in a photograph taken for the New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services' sex offender registry March 28, 2017 and obtained by Reuters July 10, 2019. New York State Division of Criminal Justice Services/Handout via REUTERS.

NEW YORK (Reuters) - American financier Jeffrey Epstein on Thursday asked a federal judge to let him out of jail and allow him to remain under house arrest in his Manattan mansion while he awaits trial on charges of sex trafficking underage girls.

In a filing in federal court in Manhattan, Epstein's lawyers argued that home confinement, along with electronic monitoring, surveillance and a bond secured by a mortgage on the Upper East Side home which they valued at $77 million, would ensure that he does not flee the country.

A spokesman for New York-based federal prosecutors declined to comment. On Monday, prosecutors said at a court hearing that they will oppose Epstein's release on bail under any conditions.

U.S. District Judge Richard Berman, who is overseeing the case, previously rejected a similar request by Turkish-Iranian gold trader Reza Zarrab, finding it was unfair to allow wealthy defendants to "buy their way out of prison by constructing their own private jail."

Epstein's lawyers said their client had a "spotless 14-year record of walking the straight and narrow" since 2005 and had shown "perfect compliance with onerous sex offender registration requirements."

They said Epstein would nevertheless agree to be fitted with an electronic ankle bracelet, surrender his passport and de-register his private jet as conditions of his house arrest.

Epstein, 66, was arrested on Saturday evening at Teterboro Airport in New Jersey, where he had returned on his private plane from Paris. He pleaded not guilty to sex trafficking and conspiracy.

The well-connected money manager was known for socializing with politicians and royalty, with friends including Republican U.S. President Donald Trump, former Democratic President Bill Clinton and, according to court papers, Britain's Prince Andrew. None of those people was mentioned in the indictment laying out the charges against Epstein.

According to the indictment, Epstein arranged for girls under the age of 18 to perform nude "massages" and other sex acts, and paid some girls to recruit others, from at least 2002 to 2005. Prosecutors said that a search of Epstein's house on Saturday uncovered nude images of underage girls.

Epstein had faced similar charges from federal prosecutors in Florida in 2007, but reached a deal to avoid federal prosecution by pleading guilty to a Florida state prostitution charge and registering as a sex offender. He served 13 months in a county jail, but was allowed to leave during the day to go to his office.

Epstein's lawyers have said that the previous agreement makes him immune to the new charges, which cover the same period. The New York prosecutors have said they are not bound by the agreement.

Alex Acosta, then the U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of Florida, oversaw the Florida plea deal.

Acosta, who is now Trump's secretary of labour, defended the deal in public statements on Wednesday, saying it had ensured Epstein, whom he called a sexual predator, would serve jail time.

(Reporting By Brendan Pierson in New York; editing by Jonathan Oatis, Noeleen Walder and David Gregorio)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-12

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The judge should tell him to take his 77 million offered property bond + cash and p[aid for security and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.  He should be treated like Joe Smuckatello who lives under the freeway overpass and works for food.  After all he is already a registered sexual pervert!  Put him in Rikers in general population and make sure that the population knows who he is and what he has done, a fit starter on a long term sentence.

Last time he was accused of similar crimes, he got away by the skin of teeth only to continue his sidspeable deeds, hopefully this time, billionaire or not, he will find himself sharing a cell with a huge man called Bubba who hasn't seen a woman for many years... 

Castration and life imprisonment would be a result, and that should apply to those law enforcement officials that helped him get off on prior occasions too. Their cover-up is just as evil as Epstein's pedo activities.

Now what is interesting in the Epstein case is how all posters support Epstein being punished severely and nobody is attacking those that helped bring his crimes to the fore. Contrast this to the other pedo related thread running on the forum, where almost everybody is attacking the guy that brought the child rapes to the public attention instead of the rapers. It's a funny old world!

Epstein's lawyers said their client had a "spotless 14-year record of walking the straight and narrow" since 2005

Which explains the contents of his safe.

Epstein is clearly a continuing offender and a flight risk.

Throw him in the slammer until his trial, just like they would anybody who’s not hyper wealthy.

12 minutes ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Castration and life imprisonment would be a result, and that should apply to those law enforcement officials that helped him get off on prior occasions too. Their cover-up is just as evil as Epstein's pedo activities.

Now what is interesting in the Epstein case is how all posters support Epstein being punished severely and nobody is attacking those that helped bring his crimes to the fore. Contrast this to the other pedo related thread running on the forum, where almost everybody is attacking the guy that brought the child rapes to the public attention instead of the rapers. It's a funny old world!

Your last paragraph is off topic hogwash.

Epstein is the subject of this thread, not your favourite common criminal, going by whatever name takes his fancy.

1 hour ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Your last paragraph is off topic hogwash.

Epstein is the subject of this thread, not your favourite common criminal, going by whatever name takes his fancy.

I wonder how many posters on this board and similar ones based in SEA could be charged with similar crimes?

i'd be more interested when he eventually squeals like a stuck pig and names names for a reduced sentence.

For example whose funding him,whose paying him to get the dirt on  politicians,hollywood,and CEO's....this time round there's a big chance some big names,clients of his on the lolita express will come to the fore.

3 hours ago, webfact said:

U.S. District Judge Richard Berman, who is overseeing the case, previously rejected a similar request by Turkish-Iranian gold trader Reza Zarrab, finding it was unfair to allow wealthy defendants to "buy their way out of prison by constructing their own private jail."

Talking about private jails, how is the wall progressing?

trumps_wall_3122595.jpg.e72732e7c04b5a2587cd0bbedb62c237.jpg

I am of the thinking that while someone may be charged with crimes until they have been tried and found to be guilty they should be able to continue a normal life as possible but that also has to be weighed against the the likelihood of the defendant fleeing Justice, witness tampering, continued offending, etc.

4 minutes ago, Basil B said:

I am of the thinking that while someone may be charged with crimes until they have been tried and found to be guilty they should be able to continue a normal life as possible but that also has to be weighed against the the likelihood of the defendant fleeing Justice, witness tampering, continued offending, etc.

Correct.

The evidence recovered from Epstein’s safe suggests two things.

1. He is a continuing offender.

2. Allowing Epstein to continue ‘his normal life’ is not acceptable under any circumstances.

1 hour ago, watcharacters said:

I wonder how many posters on this board and similar ones based in SEA could be charged with similar crimes?

Well, we know of one prolific poster here living in Chiang Rai that didn't do much beyond being really stupid that has spent a year or more in a Burmese prisonon similar charges. Absolutely nothing in common with the subject of this story beyond their own arrogance.

3 hours ago, wayned said:

The judge should tell him to take his 77 million offered property bond + cash and p[aid for security and shove it where the sun doesn't shine.  He should be treated like Joe Smuckatello who lives under the freeway overpass and works for food.  After all he is already a registered sexual pervert!  Put him in Rikers in general population and make sure that the population knows who he is and what he has done, a fit starter on a long term sentence.

"Put him in Rikers in general population and make sure that the population knows who he is and what he has done".

He was convicted only on a prostitution charge in 2007 and nothing else since, including what is in this OP.   As repugnant as he may be, shouldn't you be waiting until this latest case has been heard and he has been found guilty before condemning him to whatever you hope would happen in prison?

3 hours ago, TopDeadSenter said:

Castration and life imprisonment would be a result, and that should apply to those law enforcement officials that helped him get off on prior occasions too.

Agreed !

But same must apply to any other offenders who get 'outed' as a result of this investigation, and are proven guilty, whether their last name is Clinton, Dershowitz, Trump or whatever.

Lock'em up.

1 minute ago, neeray said:

Agreed !

But same must apply to any other offenders who get 'outed' as a result of this investigation, and are proven guilty, whether their last name is Clinton, Dershowitz, Trump or whatever.

Lock'em up.

Think of all the money we could save with trial by social media. No prosecutors, no defense lawyers, no judges. It sounds like a perfect dysutopia.

21 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"Put him in Rikers in general population and make sure that the population knows who he is and what he has done".

He was convicted only on a prostitution charge in 2007 and nothing else since, including what is in this OP.   As repugnant as he may be, shouldn't you be waiting until this latest case has been heard and he has been found guilty before condemning him to whatever you hope would happen in prison?

9 minutes ago, neeray said:

Agreed !

Lock'em up.

"...as a result of this investigation, and are proven guilty..."

Neeray, what was so "sad" about my remark regarding waiting for a guilty verdict when you have just said the exact same thing yourself?  Was something I said wrong or inaccurate?

4 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:

Think of all the money we could save with trial by social media. No prosecutors, no defense lawyers, no judges. It sounds like a perfect dysutopia.

My post clearly stated "and are proven guilty". Nothing to do with social media.

(with more than a couple posts on this forum, I choose my words carefully)

4 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

"...as a result of this investigation, and are proven guilty..."

Neeray, what was so "sad" about my remark regarding waiting for a guilty verdict when you have just said the exact same thing yourself?  Was something I said wrong or inaccurate?

Just reciprocating your usual emoticon on my posts. Don't take it too seriously.

57 minutes ago, Chomper Higgot said:

Correct.

The evidence recovered from Epstein’s safe suggests two things.

1. He is a continuing offender.

2. Allowing Epstein to continue ‘his normal life’ is not acceptable under any circumstances.

Splitting hairs...

not knowing in full detail the exact contents of his safe, I am sure if they are credible then that would make a good case to remand him, I also think that all his assets not just 77mil mansion should be at risk should he skip bail.

6 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Splitting hairs...

not knowing in full detail the exact contents of his safe, I am sure if they are credible then that would make a good case to remand him, I also think that all his assets not just 77mil mansion should be at risk should he skip bail.

What was found in his safe?

23 minutes ago, neeray said:

Agreed !

Lock'em up.

Clinton?

The only allegations as I recall were concerning an intern at the White House, as I understand it was consensual and she was in her early 20's... 

50 minutes ago, Just Weird said:

Rikers is the New York City prison where all prisoners, except Manafort, are incarcerated while they wait for their trials.  If it was "Joe Smuckatello" he would not receive any special treatment and would be put into the general population.  Everybody would soon know why he was there through the prison "grapevine".  Why should he be treated any different than an indigent awaiting trial.  The only word that I left out was "alleged" since he has not been convicted yet!  His lawyers could most likely get the judge to allow him to  bring a hemorrhoid doughnut to all of his future court appearances.

11 minutes ago, lannarebirth said:
18 minutes ago, Basil B said:

Splitting hairs...

What was found in his safe?

According to media sources: "They said they uncovered thousands of photos of nude girls, a massage table with sex toys and lube, and notes and messages that include victim names".

10 minutes ago, wayned said:

Rikers is the New York City prison where all prisoners, except Manafort, are incarcerated while they wait for their trials.  If it was "Joe Smuckatello" he would not receive any special treatment and would be put into the general population.  Everybody would soon know why he was there through the prison "grapevine".  Why should he be treated any different than an indigent awaiting trial.  The only word that I left out was "alleged" since he has not been convicted yet!

He's not getting any special treatment either, apparently, and I didn't say that he should. 

I'm not condoning anything he may have done but my comment was addressed to you because you said that it should be made known to the prison population what he did, obviously in order that retribution is handed out to him when it hasn't yet been proved that he did anything.

3 minutes ago, Basil B said:

According to media sources: "They said they uncovered thousands of photos of nude girls, a massage table with sex toys and lube, and notes and messages that include victim names".

Can I assume these are underage girls, or is that yet to be determined?

Trump hinted at all this during the election campaign, that a big scandal was coming the democrats way. 

Ironic now seem the cries of lock her up (miss Clinton) when old Bill looks set for some bird now. There’s more, Branson and Prince Andrew won’t be sleeping easy. 

Get plenty of popcorn out for this one. 

Archived