BANGKOK 21 July 2019 13:21
Sign in to follow this  
DonDoRondo

U.S. Dollar Used In Vietnam

I'm not renewing my visa at the end of the month and heading over to Da Nang in Vietnam.  

Can someone help me out understanding the currency situation?  US dollars vs Vietnamese dongs?

Many websites have prices in both currencies and some have prices in US dollars only.  I saw one 

scooter rental website that says they no longer accept Vietnamese currency.

So- what is the ATM situation?  Can one get US dollars in addition to VN dong?

Thailand banks are pretty accessible and easy to deal with - same in Vietnam?

On a day to day basis which currency is used?  

Any practical tips about the money situation would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Posted (edited)

Learn to use Viet dong. All prices must be published in VND. Many hotels and some tourist markets, however, will give you a US$ price when they see your western face. It's illegal, however, to accept anything but Viet dong. Restaurant menu prices and shop prices will only be in Viet dong. Supermarkets and clothing stores will only show prices in VND. So again, learn VND, especially if you are going to stay there for longer periods. If you are constantly handing over US$, you will always lose more on the exchange rate. 

Edited by Kaoboi Bebobp
  • Like 1

Vietnam uses Vietnamese Dong (VND), no other currency is used or accepted as payment.

4 hours ago, Kaoboi Bebobp said:

Learn to use Viet dong. All prices must be published in VND. Many hotels and some tourist markets, however, will give you a US$ price when they see your western face. It's illegal, however, to accept anything but Viet dong. Restaurant menu prices and shop prices will only be in Viet dong. Supermarkets and clothing stores will only show prices in VND. So again, learn VND, especially if you are going to stay there for longer periods. If you are constantly handing over US$, you will always lose more on the exchange rate. 

Thanks for the info........Yes, the apartment building I'm moving into the first month

has their monthly rate only in USD.  Several scooter rental websites also only list

in USD.  That's why I was wondering.

It's true that many businesses that target foreigners quote their prices in USD, especially higher price items (such as apartment rentals, as mentioned). That doesn't mean that they won't accept VND - just make sure to check that they use a sensible exchange rate.

ATMs only dispense VND. During my last visit to Vietnam, I didn't make a single USD payment in country. If you need to pay the "stamp fee" for your visa at the airport though, they do expect USD and it's advisable to have it ready in USD cash.

• Like 1