BANGKOK 19 July 2019 21:06

I meet many Thai women socially and on social media. One thing that baffles me is that in general, and I know generalities can be dangerous, many Thai women speak to me, know me, joke with me, but they never call me by my name or even ask my name. The less educated people will call me, "you". The ladies do not ask many personal questions, and I mean polite, not nosey questions. Thai men seem to be more open and inquisitive.

I would like to know if anyone else has made similar observatons. I am talking about women from all walks of life. For men with a Thai wife or girlfriend, what has been your experience? I know some women ask many, many questions because they are jealous and look for their man being unfaithful. Perhaps it all boils down to language ability and lack of confidence in articulating their thoughts. Not sure at all.

My experience has been the exact opposite of yours. They nearly all ask me my name first off.

But your last sentence pretty much nails it no matter what language they speak (Perhaps it all boils down to language ability and lack of confidence in articulating their thoughts.)

• Like 1

Maybe it’s because you meet them on social media. You are just a screen to them. Strange though if you are not asked your name in a bar. I almost always am asked my name. But then again I am extremely good looking and overtly rich where 1000baht notes are falling from my pockets 😀

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Yinn said:

Thai people who know a little English say “you” are try to be polite.

“Khun” = you, or Mr or Miss or Mrs 

Khun  Mikisteel= Mr Mikisteel 

They think it polite to say. Like calling you Mr. .

They don’t want to rude, they try to be polite.

Maybe they learn at school English little bit, but not have experience talk with foreigner before.

That's an interesting point Yinn. I'd never thought of it like that.

If it's in a sentence while someone is talking to you, that's fine.

However, I find it annoying if I'm out walking and someone tries to attract my attention by shout "You!" at me. Obviously being English that seems quite rude.

1 hour ago, jingjai9 said:

The less educated people will call me, "you".

So you're not white then?

4 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

That's an interesting point Yinn. I'd never thought of it like that.

If it's in a sentence while someone is talking to you, that's fine.

However, I find it annoying if I'm out walking and someone tries to attract my attention by shout "You!" at me. Obviously being English that seems quite rude.

I had a Norwegian bloke once shout out..."Hey you".....I ignored him...Plus I cannot deal with drunks...

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, White Christmas13 said:

if you ignored him how do you know he was Norwegian

Tattooed on the back of the neck.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1