Getting Personal

jingjai9

3 hours ago, SteveK said:

I had a conversation with my wife only yesterday about Thai names, and how nobody in Thailand knows the real names of their friends or colleagues. Her friends are called things like Pla, Nok or even Man City - she doesn't know their real names even of the friends she shared an apartment with once! It must be a nightmare for the police, how do they ever solve anything? 

I know for a fact that my wife doesn't know my full name, she only ever calls me Ouan unless she needs money for something and then it's Teerak. In the first few months of living here everyone used to call me "you" until I asked my wife to explain that that is quite rude and it seems to have stopped, some of the older members of my wife's family use a more Thai-sounding version of my first name.

Is ouan not the Thai word for fat? Time for a diet and exercise I think.

6 hours ago, possum1931 said:

What would be the point of that diet and exercise?

I didn't notice that the girls give you a discount if they don't call you ouan but sexy handsome young man.

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

really? that is all i get. where you from? you married? girlfriend? how long you live in Thailand? what is your job? retired, what is that? how you make money? why don't you have girlfriend? are you going back to USA? on and on.

almost the same questions from women on social media like they are reading a script.

They are .... catch the farang it is called, a pdf download.

On 7/12/2019 at 3:49 AM, PatOngo said:

My wife calls me tirak with a flat tone unless she wants something, then it changes to a soft  sweet rising tone.

I second that. The tone of the ‘tirak’ is a dead giveaway that I’m about to be tasked with a chore.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, jingjai9 said:

The ladies do not ask many personal questions, and I mean polite, not nosey questions.

Rest assured they're asking plenty of personal questions when you're not in the room.

Especially questions like "what's in your wallet?" (to quote that annoying Capital One Bank commercial.)

On 7/12/2019 at 3:24 AM, Yinn said:

Thai people who know a little English say “you” are try to be polite.

“Khun” = you, or Mr or Miss or Mrs 

Khun  Mikisteel= Mr Mikisteel 

They think it polite to say. Like calling you Mr. .

They don’t want to rude, they try to be polite.

Maybe they learn at school English little bit, but not have experience talk with foreigner before.

Exactly

On 7/12/2019 at 3:44 AM, bluesofa said:

That's an interesting point Yinn. I'd never thought of it like that.

If it's in a sentence while someone is talking to you, that's fine.

However, I find it annoying if I'm out walking and someone tries to attract my attention by shout "You!" at me. Obviously being English that seems quite rude.

They are shouting Sir or mister. itis polite. you are ignorant of linguistic and cultural social mores and values.

On 7/12/2019 at 8:32 AM, jingjai9 said:

he ladies do not ask many personal questions, and I mean polite, not nosey questions.

You is ok - - 'polite not nosey' by whose standards... Thai don't really interrogate each other... not too many questions on a person's past. 

On 7/12/2019 at 1:52 PM, possum1931 said:

Yes, Ooun is fat and moo ooun is a fat pig and also a very affectionate nickname, though it probably doesn't sound like it to you. 

11 minutes ago, faraday said:

There you are Bluesofa; according to Khun Sunnyboy, you're ignorant!!

Never mind, Colin & I love you - not in a Biblical way though....:laugh:

I saw that, but I ignored him, me being ignorant.

"They are shouting Sir or mister". I obviously have a worse hearing problem than I thought. I was sure they said, "You."

Thanks, but it's a good job you don't love me in the biblical sense - I charge more for that.

Archived