Royal decorations recalled from disgraced former DSI chief Tharit

webfact

Royal decorations recalled from disgraced former DSI chief Tharit

By The Nation

800_21bc13f891b412f.jpg?v=1562894019

Tharit Pengdit

His Majesty the King has rescinded the royal decorations given to Tharit Pengdit, former chief of the Department of Special Investigation, following his conviction and jailing in two cases.

The King issued a royal command, which was countersigned by Prime Minister Gen Prayut Chan-o-cha, to retroactively recall the royal decorations, starting from April 3, 2018.

The royal command was issued on Monday and was published in the Royal Gazette on Thursday.

The royal command stated that all of Tharit’s eight royal decoration medals were being recalled following his sentencing in a defamation case and a malfeasance case. He was fired from government service for committing severe disciplinary offences and received jail sentences for both offences. 

On March 2, 2017, the Appeals Court sentenced Tarit to jail for two years but suspended the jail term after he was convicted for making an unlawful transfer of one of his subordinates at the DSI.

On December 14, 2018, Tharit was jailed at the Bangkok Remand Prison after the Supreme Court upheld the guilty verdict against him for defaming Suthep Thaugsuban when Suthep was deputy prime minister in the Abhisit Vejjajiva government. He gave an interview to accuse Suthep of corruption in a project to build 396 police stations around the country and the Supreme Court sentenced him to one year in jail and refused to suspend the jail term.

Following the coup, Tarit was removed as the chief of DSI and seconded to an inactive advisory post at the PM’s Office before he was fired. 

The royal command states that Tarit was deprived of the following royal decorations:

- Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

- Knight Grand Cordon (Special Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

- Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

- Knight Grand Cross (First Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

- Knight Commander (Second Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

- Knight Commander (Second Class) of the Most Noble Order of the Crown of Thailand

- Commander (Third Class) of the Most Exalted Order of the White Elephant

- The Chakra Mala Medal

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372851

nation.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand 2019-07-12

Friendly reminder

In using Thai Visa you agree to abide by the following terms:

1) You will not express disrespect of the King of Thailand or any one member of the Thai royal family, whether living or deceased, nor to criticize the monarchy as an institution.

By law, the Thai Royal Family are above politics. Speculation, comments and discussion of either a political or personal nature are not allowed when discussing HM The King or the Royal family.

To breach these rules may result in immediate ban.

Linking to external sites which break these rules will be treated as if you yourself posted them.

Forum Rules: https://forum.thaivisa.com/terms/

/Admin

18 minutes ago, webfact said:

to retroactively recall the royal decorations, starting from April 3, 2018.

I don't understand the meaning of this part. He cannot possibly have stacked up 8 new decorations in about a year so what does 'retroactively' mean here ? Did those decorations grant him some privileges and they will take back anything he got after/before April 3 ?

so defaming Suthep, corrupted prime minister, carries more, than the prison sentence. Fighting corruption at the highest government level is not allowed.

The highest court sentenced him, even investigation into corruption is still ongoing.

"The National Anti-Corruption Commission said in August that it is still looking into allegations of corruption against Suthep over the project."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/12/14/former-dsi-chief-jailed-for-defaming-ex-deputy-pm-suthep

On the other hand suthep has his own political party with 12 seats at parliament and murder charges for killing 80 people in 2010 are dismissed and same will be with charge for insurrection for bangkok shutdown and obstructing the general elections in 2014.

It is how the injustice system works - bad people in, good people out

6 hours ago, yokat said:

I don't understand the meaning of this part. He cannot possibly have stacked up 8 new decorations in about a year so what does 'retroactively' mean here ? Did those decorations grant him some privileges and they will take back anything he got after/before April 3 ?

My guess is that it means he is not allowed to say (tell, boost, write, publish) that he ever held those decorations from that date onwards.

For as far as it goes, he never held them because they were recalled retroactively.

If he does mention it somewhere after that date he can probably be prosecuted for it.

(like when he writes an article, or his resume, he cannot say he previously held the following royal decorations: #1 to #8. Or he cannot publish photos of himself in full uniform showing those medals, etc )

6 hours ago, londonthai said:

so defaming Suthep, corrupted prime minister, carries more, than the prison sentence. Fighting corruption at the highest government level is not allowed.

The highest court sentenced him, even investigation into corruption is still ongoing.

"The National Anti-Corruption Commission said in August that it is still looking into allegations of corruption against Suthep over the project."

http://www.khaosodenglish.com/politics/2018/12/14/former-dsi-chief-jailed-for-defaming-ex-deputy-pm-suthep

On the other hand suthep has his own political party with 12 seats at parliament and murder charges for killing 80 people in 2010 are dismissed and same will be with charge for insurrection for bangkok shutdown and obstructing the general elections in 2014.

It is how the injustice system works - bad people in, good people out

'londonthai': do you, really, mean that for you this, IMO despicable, character is 'one of the good people'? Seriously?

Couldn't have happened to anyone more deserving. He could have taught a chameleon how to change its colors.  

(I am not saying Suthep is good either - he is positively evil)

2 hours ago, bangrak said:

'londonthai': do you, really, mean that for you this, IMO despicable, character is 'one of the good people'? Seriously?

he was sentenced and his decorations were recalled, because he defamed suthep, while investigation into suthep corruption is still ongoing.

every single soldier in the world is a murderer, trained to do so. Every policemen and civil servant in thailand is corrupt and should leave their duties without pension and perks coming with the job. It doesn't mean I have to hate them and not defend them, if they are treated unfairly by the injustice system - simply because this system will, one day, turn against me. One day me or some farang will be a whistle blower on corruption or many other problems existing in thailand - and will be imprisoned for defamation. It's a stupid law and should be opposed 

3 hours ago, londonthai said:

he was sentenced and his decorations were recalled, because he defamed suthep, while investigation into suthep corruption is still ongoing.

every single soldier in the world is a murderer, trained to do so. Every policemen and civil servant in thailand is corrupt and should leave their duties without pension and perks coming with the job. It doesn't mean I have to hate them and not defend them, if they are treated unfairly by the injustice system - simply because this system will, one day, turn against me. One day me or some farang will be a whistle blower on corruption or many other problems existing in thailand - and will be imprisoned for defamation. It's a stupid law and should be opposed 

Turn it and twist it as much as you can 'londonthai', my question to you was, in a nutshell: do you consider Tharit to be part of the 'good people' (as implicitely stated in your, previous, post)? I would like to read your answer on that, just a yeas or a no will do, Thank you for your time.

4 hours ago, Burma Bill said:

The elephants on Beer Chang are white!!

Let's hope there's no royalist-ultra-nationalist nutter choking on your posts guys, as every 'white' elephant on Siamese, and still Thai, land is, by some ancient tradition(?!?) the personal property of His Majesty the King, it might land you in lèse-something territory in the eyes of one of those lunatics. Beware...

11 minutes ago, bangrak said:

Turn it and twist it as much as you can 'londonthai', my question to you was, in a nutshell: do you consider Tharit to be part of the 'good people' (as implicitely stated in your, previous, post)? I would like to read your answer on that, just a yeas or a no will do, Thank you for your time.

Yes.

Why would you think he's not?

yes.

so now question - should he be imprisoned for defamation of a very corrupted politician, just because he was doing his job? With him 3 his deputies were also charged.

why is it now, and not directly after he was sentenced in december? That's quite long for the regulations to be implemented.

Archived