BANGKOK 23 July 2019 23:31
webfact

Phuket tourism going down the pan just like Pattaya: Few tourists and much worse than last year

I visited last year  (Phuket) after not being there for 12 years. Idea was to look at buying a place to live (I work in Bangkok but am getting old). I was shocked at the amount of development on the west coast. I think its just become too overdeveloped and full of cheap tack beach stores that the thing that made Phuket a desirable location in the past has now disappeared. 

I see it affecting the whole of Thailand, largely uncontrolled building has made it a hot potch of building ugliness. Its not the cheap tropical paradise it was, other countries are coming up and more localized destinations offer better value to tourists. 

• Like 2

Maybe I will book my flight.  I did enjoy Karon beach.  Turning around and seeing the top half of the white giant buddha to me was surreal and very pleasing.  The food eateries on the road between karon and kata were really nice.  A few nights in Patong are OK.  Hate the taxi and motorbike mafia, but forewarned is fore armed.  The ferry from Phuket pier to Ao Nang really is a nice little journey.  Quite scenic as you motor past little islands and out croppings

On 7/12/2019 at 1:20 PM, yogi100 said:

The bar girls definitely can see it, in Pattaya anyway. They collectively hate their govt and wish Taksin could come back.

Was he a good customer ?

• Like 1

On 7/12/2019 at 9:54 AM, Pilotman said:

Yes to all that, but on balance, I see no difference in terms of ripping off tourists here than say Spain, Cyprus, Malta,  most Caribbean islands. It goes on everywhere. 

I traveled extensively prior to hanging my hat here and you are absolutely right. Many places make the Thai scammers here look like rookies (and considering the number who get taken here doesn't bode well for the intelligence of the travelers). I believe after a while many here get a tunnel vision type mentality, and make Thailand the center of their universe including all the problems. There's way more to life than complaining about things they themselves can't change no matter how good it feels to wallow in it.

• Like 2