Tourism yes, work NO!: Big Oud turns back Chinese man at airport!

webfact

1 hour ago, DonDoRondo said:

So you would care to elaborate on how DM's are pouring in money?

Accommodations

Restaurants

Food stalls

Overpriced medical establishments

Clubs \ Bars \ Discos \ Tourist attractions (super overpraised for foreigners).

Helping "sick buffaloes", "sick moms", building houses in poor villages, helping poor kids to get better education by paying for their schools and study accessories.

Visa payment, Extension Payment, TM30 theft.

Teachers in the Thai language schools that are being payed by the need for ED visas.

And as a side affect Advancing the English level of everyone they come in contact with. (which i guess the current goverment find troubling, and is the main reason you lot are here).

But Naaaa, i rather not waste my time on pathetic and miserable bots that don't even know the difference between DM and DN... Read all the post here and be enlightened, the glorious answers that you try to avoid are all over place.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DonDoRondo said:

Could you please elaborate on how they're " pouring money in "? 

Yes, let me elaborate on it.

It involves one bank account located outside of Thailand(let's call it A),  one located inside of Thailand (let's call it B).

From A to B, there were average monthly flows of 100K (every few months larger amounts, not to waste money on monthly bank transfers).

This amount was then spent on various things here, similar to the ones mentioned already. So that's foreign money that was spent locally.

And now I left, took a little break (perhaps longer).

Do you now better understand the money flow, and how digital nomads input money into the Thai economy?

6 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Firstly, lets dispel the myth that 'no one has been arrested and charged' with working online shall we ??

www.news.com.au/travel/travel-updates/incidents/aussie-teacher-details-horrific-conditions-inside-thai-detention/news-story/d432a704bf0db1def6d79489ae1b830c?

"he was teaching English to Chinese students online through an Australian company, and said he was told this was fine because no money was exchanged through Thailand" 

Online teacher, no Thai clients, arrested, charged and deported. How is that possible if its not illegal as many claim ?? 

Because "John" didn't tell the whole truth.

Most likely he was one of the two Australians mentioned in this news: https://www.chiangraitimes.com/17-foreigners-arrested-in-chiang-mai-for-teaching-english-online.html

So yes, he was working online, but employed by a company operating from Thailand, having an office in Thailand and probably having regular working hours with this company. So this is a completely different situation to people working online about which we talk.

John was simply employed at a company in Thailand without having a work permit. The work he did happened to be online, but it has nothing in common with digital nomads.

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

Because "John" didn't tell the whole truth.

Most likely he was one of the two Australians mentioned in this news: https://www.chiangraitimes.com/17-foreigners-arrested-in-chiang-mai-for-teaching-english-online.html

So yes, he was working online, but employed by a company operating from Thailand, having an office in Thailand and probably having regular working hours with this company. So this is a completely different situation to people working online about which we talk.

John was simply employed at a company in Thailand without having a work permit. The work he did happened to be online, but it has nothing in common with digital nomads.

Except he specifically states that wasnt the case.. He was arrested and detained in bangkok, was working for an australian company, happened at a ttotally different time / date.. etc etc. 

Your assuming he lied, without any evidence at all, when what you suggest doesnt fit at all.. just a desire for it to be... 

16 minutes ago, LivinLOS said:

except he specifically states that wasnt the case..  

Your assuming he lied, without any evidence at all, just a desire for it to be...  

Where did he specifically state that wasn't the case?

He said he was employed by an Australian company. Maybe the Australian company was running the illegal office in Thailand where he was working?

Then he got a knock on the door. He doesn't say a knock on the door of his personal condo. So might have been a knock on the door of the office where he was working.

I don't say he lied, but just that he didn't give all facts.

The author of this article says that an anonymous "John" said all this. There is no other source confirming what is said there, everything might be made up, a John doesn't even have to exist.

If they arrest an Australian person in Thailand and deport him, you can be sure that this will be in the news, whatever the circumstances are.

The news with the 17 arrested teachers matches, and i couldn't find any other news which does. So if John and his story is real, then most likely this is what happened. And this news draws another picture of what really happened than what John said.

Do you have any second source which confirms what was written in the article on the Australien news site, or that "John" even exists?

13 minutes ago, jackdd said:

If they arrest an Australian person in Thailand and deport him, you can be sure that this will be in the news, whatever the circumstances are.

Nonsense.. People are arrested daily, deported, etc and it doesnt make press.. 

The australian embassy confirmed they provided some services, decline to discuss the details.. 

Your grasping at straws, trying to confuse 2 issues, with zero evidence, when everything about it, its date, location, and the facts presented are different.

4 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Nonsense.. People are arrested daily, deported, etc and it doesnt make press.. 

The australian embassy confirmed they provided some services, decline to discuss the details.. 

Your grasping at straws, trying to confuse 2 issues, with zero evidence, when everything about it, its date, location, and the facts presented are different. 

I think you are misunderstanding it, you are the one grasping at straws. You say it's illegal, but the only news article which confirms your opinion is based on the report from one single anonymous person and there is not any evidence which confirms that this person even exists or that it really happened.

On the other hand we have several other news, which can be found across several news sites, in English as well as Thai, including real person's names, which show that it's considered legal.

2 hours ago, FredGallaher said:

Lots of bickering here between the DN crowd and this with long term visa (legit).

Thai Elite visas aren't legit, oh tell us more?

many DN folks aka people that are directors or shareholders of offshore companies, investmentfunds etc. are all on Elite visas, they wouldn't bother with Visa Run bs.

You are so narrowminded, you can't even fathom what the word DN means. You seem to think that all offshore remote workers are writing blogs and doing youtube videos...

31 minutes ago, FredGallaher said:

Thai Elite visas are legit. They allow holder multiply entry.and they can stay as long as their visa is good (usually 5 years). That's there purpose. Tourist visas are for traveling and seeing the sites, etc, not for settling down and setting up camp. Read this forum and you'll see examples of denial of entry, detained at the airport, etc. The posters are all up set. Although the reason stamped in the passport may say differently, they seem be denied because doesn't think they are a tourist. DN are just remote workers who feel entitled to set up shop and live anywhere. If they are on a tourist visa they have to do in/out to reset the clock. Thai immigration is becoming aware.  

My post was about excessive bickering and you prove my point. 

As stated, many are on elite visas.

I don't see how these people are more entitled than pensioners, pensioners seem to think they can set up shop and live anywhere.

The only difference is that people might not be 50 years old and can't get a retirement visa and have to spill out cash for an elite visa.

Let's hope thai immigration doesn't crack down on all these pensioners making youtube videos - they clearly need a work permit for that according to you.

1 minute ago, FredGallaher said:

If they are on Elite Visas they can stay as long as they want. I don't know about working, but assume they would need a work permit and pay taxes. 

No you can NOT get a work permit for work that is offshore and online, duh. No country in the world wants you to even, as their business does not interfere with the local economy.

ALL TAX LAWS APPLY TO THESE FOLKS THE SAME WAY THEY APPLY TO YOU, PENSIONERS, EVERY EXPAT AND THAIS, you are the only one saying they are tax dodgers.

THEY ALSO PAY CORPORATE TAXES WHERE THEIR COMPANY IS REGISTERED, DEPENDING ON THOSE COUNTRIES LAWS OF COURSE, SAME AS PENSIONERS PAYING TAXES AT SOURCE IN THEIR HOME.

Who the hell would issue a work permit for your singaporean company you oversee while wasting your time and money made from such company in Thailand?? 

The law, says otherwise:

A. The following non-Thais can carry out certain activities in Thailand without a work permit:

(1) a non-Thai who comes to Thailand on a short-term periodic basis to: hold or to attend a meeting, lecture, seminar, training, exhibition of art or culture, or sports competition; provide an opinion; inspect work of others; or, any other activities, as prescribed by the Council of Ministers.

(2) a non-Thai who enters into Thailand to: operate a business; make an investment; or who has knowledge, ability, or skills that are considered beneficial to the development of the country;

I don't see youtube videos made by pensioner. Maybe to can link us to some. 

Oh really.... there's tons of older folks having youtube channels....Stickman and all these folks come to mind.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSoqj7YFPEc-ksEkynuRc_Q

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCQSb_pjUCPTvckoDUONy-Vw

https://www.youtube.com/user/havrum1/videos ...

I could easily live without working or the pension. 

Fine, me too - unlike you i however don't think i am better than those who don't and tell them how to life their life.

If someone is on a NON-O married to a Thai can get a work permit if they want. 

FOR WHAT??? There exists no Thai company, heck they can't even own a Thai company here. So no, they cannot get a work permit.

They would all setup Thai companies if the Thai company law wasn't messed up and would allow them to own one.

They are forced to incorporate in other, more clever, more open to business and less xenophobic countries, like Singapore, Hong Kong, BVIs, Malta and co. who happily take every Startup, Investment Fund and whatever other business people want to run.

I don't know about working

Exactly. Still you don't stop talking.

On 7/12/2019 at 10:45 AM, DonDoRondo said:

Wonder when they'll begin going after the " digital nomads ".  

They already did. Why do you think I have an elite visa ????.

For all I care I don’t even hide i work online nowadays. If they kick me out whatever. I can buy residence in another country any time I want and most of my money is invested in stocks offshore. Regardless bit borred here in bkk now that I stayed for 3 years. I keep traveling to nearby countries every month for holidays while working. So yeah my purpose of visit to everywhere I go is holidays and not lying in that aspect, but I still run my investments, business and job while on my laptop or phone, often even inside airplane, sometimes even at the club lol. Dancing and making money at same time is great. 

On 7/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, SteveK said:

Maybe instead of desperately trying to refuse entry or to deport anyone who isn't Thai and doesn't have the correct visa, maybe they could introduce two new types of visa to entice international travelers and boost "tourism" income. One for digital nomads, and one for sex travelers. I would wager that in many cases even removing someone who is working illegally would be harmful to the country's economy, and removing a rampant sex-pat would cause lots and lots of sick buffaloes to go without their crucial medicine injections.

I would also bet that it's mostly the dodgy guys without proper visas who spend the most on nocturnal female companionship and local pharmaceuticals, so they could forget visas entirely - just show $2000 cash at the airport and you're in, any less and you're going back mate. Simple. Get rid of all the dumb rules that even the Thai immigration don't understand. Instead of 90-day reporting just turn up to immigration every six months with a wad of thousand baht notes to show that you are either solvent or can get money when you need it.

I've already got a drawer full of paperwork in my bedroom, it's ridiculous.

Shut up with your common sense

Archived