Do you still feel lonely and regret not being married or hooked up?

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Communication is important to me, so I could never live in a relationship where communication was only very basic. However, I see many mixed marriages in Thailand where the couples are pretty much limited to communicating in pidgin English/Thai.  Some seem happy, some not so, but certainly not a situation I would like to find myself.      

6 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

could be a new business for you. how does your girlfriend look in a nurse's outfit?

I think her fluency in Thai and English along with her ability to haggle are more important in this situation.

She got the price down from 200,000bht (Suan Doc foreigner price) to 30,000bht (local hospital public ward) and then got his m/c (government minimum) insurance company agree to pay direct after getting a police report on the accident (no other vehicle involved).

I can't stand living in a condo/flat/apartment.....

Married now, but when single had a house with a MaeBaan that came in 2-3 times a week to & take care of the household chores.....Played in sports leagues + had masseuses a couple of times a week - sometimes more.....I cooked limitedly so was out daily getting meals......I stayed busy & enjoyed the quiet time....I don't remember feeling lonely very often but it did happen.....Never was a bar crawler and very seldom found myself in that environment - Never found myself missing them.....

Ladies have always made themselves available.....

Now, all these years later - settled down with one daughter in a university & our second right behind her & having a loving, caring wife that's never caused a troubled moment.....I find life more complete & enjoyable.....

We're now planning for longer - 6 month - RV times back in the states during the upcoming years & I'm finding myself restless in anticipation ....Complete freedom of a different type.....Each time is like a free style honeymoon.....

Both sides of the coin - draw your own conclusions, as you may.....

Have a friend who met a girl 2 years ago.  He fell in love.  Just finished building a house up north and buying a 5 million baht home here in hua hin. Ink  Just heard today he had a slip and fall accident in the bath room and bled out.   I not take my chances.  

1 minute ago, BTB1958 said:

Have a friend who met a girl 2 years ago.  He fell in love.  Just finished building a house up north and buying a 5 million baht home here in hua hin. Ink  Just heard today he had a slip and fall accident in the bath room and bled out.   I not take my chances.  

At least he wasn't lonely.

3 minutes ago, BTB1958 said:

A reminder to us all that we should live every day like it was the last!!!

3 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Personally, I think it is good advice for people of all ages .....

Apart from when you live every day like its your last..........................and it isnt .

Then you have to deal  with the next day/month/year/decade

2 minutes ago, sanemax said:

Apart from when you live every day like its your last..........................and it isnt .

Then you have to deal  with the next day/month/year/decade

The grim reaper can come calling at any time .....

I'm 38 years old, so not really the target group of your question, but anyways ...

I have a GF and daughter (2+ years old now) but somewhere in the far future (perhaps when our daughter is 18 years old or so) I'd like to be alone again to be honest. But have my GF and *especially* my daughter within reach.

I love my daughter too much. I love my girlfriend at times, but often she can be rather annoying as well. And in those cases I would love to be alone again. 

For example if she complains about a few hairs on the floor after shaving (I try to clean but sometimes might miss a hair) or if I clean my hands and a few drops of water drop on the floor. Or when we're driving and she tells me how to drive (even if she never drove a car). Stuff like that annoys me a lot. Then I dream about living alone. 

I think living-apart-together relations would be perfect, but not sure if we could achieve that in the future. Since she likes to stay on the Thai country-side and I want to move back to the city. For education of our daughter it'd be better anyway, but I guess we'll see how things go.

Until I was 35 I pretty much lived alone and felt never lonely and loved the complete freedom. I could live like that again.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

I got married for the first time, aged 55 and now have a 4 year old son. I wasn't lonely before, and I'm certainly not lonely now!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Having almost the same chronological points of reference, I thoroughly agree with this sentiment. After 'courting' for a couple of years, we got married when I was 50 and our oldest is now 11.

The newest, 2 year-old 'bundle of joy' is just the icing on my already sumptuous cake of life.

Being alone is way, way easier but being attached is way, way more fun.

I wonder sometimes if I can ever be happy, either alone or with someone.  What I mean is when I was a single dude wolfing it around in Thailand with hundreds of different girls, I was fairly content.  But after a time, it did become rather routine and predictable....something was missing.  I figured maybe this "something" was having that one person that I could count on to accompany me for the remainder of my days.  Well now that I have that one person, I'm sort of missing my previous life.  The thirst for freedom is only present when you don't have it.  Or maybe it's just a phase.  Finding true happiness can be elusive.

6 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

Having almost the same chronological points of reference, I thoroughly agree with this sentiment. After 'courting' for a couple of years, we got married when I was 50 and our oldest is now 11.

The newest, 2 year-old 'bundle of joy' is just the icing on my already sumptuous cake of life.

Being alone is way, way easier but being attached is way, way more fun.

We are all different but the thought of pushing a pram and a screaming kid at midnight in my 50's sends cold chills down my spine :shock1:

I am happily married to a Thai woman who I adore. We have been together over a decade, and I am very grateful to have her in my life. Many of my friends are envious of our relationship.

Most of my friends here are single. Some by choice. Others feel they just cannot afford to have a live in girlfriend or wife. Frankly, it is expensive. No matter how you look at it, it does increase one's cost of living significantly. There is a trade off with everything in life. For me, it is worth it. For some, it is not. There are plenty of opportunities to find TLC here. Not meaningful, granted, but at least some contact with an attractive woman, unlike in the bereft and forlorn US.

So, it is just a matter of priorities. If you have a decent income, you can always find someone to look after you when you are old. To me, that is a fairly lame reason to get married. Especially if like me, you have zero interest in children. 

1 hour ago, Berkshire said:

I figured maybe this "something" was having that one person that I could count on to accompany me for the remainder of my days. 

There is no such guarantee, women change their minds, all the time, for the most trivial of reasons.

1 hour ago, madmen said:

We are all different but the thought of pushing a pram and a screaming kid at midnight in my 50's sends cold chills down my spine :shock1:

Had my son when I was 55, no screaming at midnight, maybe 5 or 6 'screamings' in his life.

He's 8 now, overuses the word 'dad' a bit when he's home from school (dad I'm hungry, dad I want Papsi, dad look at this, etc.), but apart from that no complaints so far.

5 hours ago, BestB said:

I do and no I will not give you their contact info

Of course, I should have known. They are all second or third runners up in the annual Miss Bangkok beauty contest, and they give you a  discount because you are hansum man with a big todger.

Archived