Do you still feel lonely and regret not being married or hooked up?

21 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

My only son and the only woman I ever loved are both dead.  So, I came to Thailand.  Just doing life a day at a time.  Enjoy what you have.  

Feel for you man. Sorry for your pain. I appreciate you sharing your experiences to remind all of us to enjoy what we have and what we have had in our lives. Peace to you. Peace ☮️ 

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/12/2019 at 9:17 AM, spidermike007 said:

.Most of my friends here are single. Some by choice. Others feel they just cannot afford to have a live in girlfriend or wife. Frankly, it is expensive. No matter how you look at it, it does increase one's cost of living significantly. There is a trade off with everything in life.

Believe me, I spend more money on my own as single, than I do in a relationship. 

Two different life and lifestyles. As single I would not settle for a long time one place or one country. I would have been all over the place searching for something I could not find. My gf gives me peace and I can rest do one thing at the time, instead of everything at the same time. 

On 7/12/2019 at 7:13 PM, NanLaew said:

Can't see what's so hot about sitting on your lonesome in a restaurant every day, watching farang couples not communicating. Is it fun?

We come into this earth the same we leave - ALONE!  Convincing oneself that it is anything more is an illusion (of comfort).  In the mean time we share our time, money, and experience....

18 minutes ago, mike787 said:

We come into this earth the same we leave - ALONE!  Convincing oneself that it is anything more is an illusion (of comfort).  In the mean time we share our time, money, and experience....

Were you teleported in? The majority of the human race were birthed, from the outset had a mother to nurture and care for them in the formative years, were never alone.

Hmmm, an interesting question.

I was an only child, which back in to 50's to an Hispanic family was pretty rare.

But my Mom was absolutely determined that she would teach me to me as self sufficient as she could possibly make me.

So being alone never bothers me, but I relish the relationships I have with my, kids, cousins and my wife.

All that being said, all of them, including my wife understand the times I need to be in my own space.

So it's not a binary Yes or No question 

22 hours ago, madmen said:

What did these men think would happen when marrying a low educated farm girl/bar girl?

I could not agee with you more. Trying to have an intellectual conversation is like sticking

pins in oneself

Used to think it was more to do with the language barrier and would get better. One young little sprog later, too late

For a lot of people here its not an issue, their either just looking for companionship or on the same level

That said, for me, nothing can compare to the love of a child and you certainly won't be lonely (not for the next 16 years anyway)

Fully understand the reasons for people who say rent but as someone has already implied, the grass is always greener on the other side.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:32 AM, Sujo said:

I am 56, never married, no kids.

when younger I saw friends get married and divorced and the men financially destroyed, it turned me off the notion.

I have never felt lonely but do like being alone. If I want company I just go out. But my home is for me, I never invite friends to my home as I prefer it alone to just have my down time.

I am free to go do what I want when I want to, but my married friends cannot.

But I do have a dog.

I'm a single person but not alone I have two dogs who share my home.The one is white not one foot tall,the other is Brown I took in from the rain. ect

4 minutes ago, Percy P said:

I'm a single person but not alone I have two dogs who share my home.The one is white not one foot tall,the other is Brown I took in from the rain. ect

Thats it then problem solved 

All single expats are to take in 2 dogs and we get rid of the soi dog problem at the same time

Happy Days every one a winner

On 7/12/2019 at 9:32 AM, Sujo said:

when younger I saw friends get married and divorced and the men financially destroyed, it turned me off the notion.

I have never felt lonely but do like being alone. If I want company I just go out. But my home is for me, I never invite friends to my home as I prefer it alone to just have my down time.

But I do have a dog.

Good.

I'm a single person but not all alone.I have two dogs that share my home. The one is white not one foot tall,the other is Brown I took in from the rain. ect,ect.

On 7/12/2019 at 9:37 AM, wolf81 said:

I'm 38 years old, so not really the target group of your question, but anyways ...

I have a GF and daughter (2+ years old now) but somewhere in the far future (perhaps when our daughter is 18 years old or so) I'd like to be alone again to be honest. But have my GF and *especially* my daughter within reach.

I love my daughter too much. I love my girlfriend at times, but often she can be rather annoying as well. And in those cases I would love to be alone again. 

For example if she complains about a few hairs on the floor after shaving (I try to clean but sometimes might miss a hair) or if I clean my hands and a few drops of water drop on the floor. Or when we're driving and she tells me how to drive (even if she never drove a car). Stuff like that annoys me a lot. Then I dream about living alone. 

I think living-apart-together relations would be perfect, but not sure if we could achieve that in the future. Since she likes to stay on the Thai country-side and I want to move back to the city. For education of our daughter it'd be better anyway, but I guess we'll see how things go.

Until I was 35 I pretty much lived alone and felt never lonely and loved the complete freedom. I could live like that again.

Hey, how's your daily schedule looks like now & before having gf and daughter?

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 2:32 PM, Sujo said:

But I do have a dog.

I was lucky the first time around that I escaped emotionally ( at 35 ) but had to start again financially. I did miss having someone around, though we had never really "talked".

I had an interesting life after I left her, training as a nurse and eventually working in Saudi, so being busy I had enough to keep myself occupied.

I discovered Thailand in the 90s and spent as much time as possible there, with many temporary girlfriends, but never wanted to make any permanent. Just before I retired, I met my wife to be, and lived very happily with her a year in LOS. Then I married her and it all went downhill to the divorce.

Lonely- more than I can describe, but would never trust another woman sufficiently to get married again. The pain from another failure would be surely worse than loneliness, and while the first was a mistake, the second was unfortunate, but to try a third time would be foolish.

Regrets- many, but life sucks, and it bit me on the bum big time. Just have to go on, or end it.

While I am alone, I do get to live my life as I wish, and don't have to make compromises, so not all bad.

IMO, women can be wonderful, unless one marries one.

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2019 at 3:08 AM, mike787 said:

Wrong. We come into life born of a mother that is genetically programmed to care for us, till we can go off alone. We only die alone if we haven't met someone along the way to be with us till death. Some people are never alone from birth to death.

28 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Wrong. We come into life born of a mother that is genetically programmed to care for us, till we can go off alone. We only die alone if we haven't met someone along the way to be with us till death. Some people are never alone from birth to death.

Sounds like you're still attached to your mother!  There's the difference between independence versus interdependence; aloneness versus lonely.  Many people experience internal conflict due to an inability to understand where they end and others begin.  This is referred to as "boundaries".  You following me so far, it's ok if you can't, it can be a lot to comprehend.  Therefore, based on your response, you may need assistance with the "existential Crisis" experiencing.  

3 minutes ago, mike787 said:

Sounds like you're still attached to your mother!  There's the difference between independence versus interdependence; aloneness versus lonely.  Many people experience internal conflict due to an inability to understand where they end and others begin.  This is referred to as "boundaries".  You following me so far, it's ok if you can't, it can be a lot to comprehend.  Therefore, based on your response, you may need assistance with the "existential Crisis" experiencing.  

The problem with psychoanalysing people based on a paragraph written on a forum is that one inevitably gets it wrong. 

I did however have 26 years of psychoanalysing people based on observation, and I'd never do so based on a paragraph written in a forum.

If I was dependent on my mother I'd have been in trouble as I left home at 11 and rarely saw her thereafter.

Archived