Teaching Online - WP needed or not?

This has probably been answered before so apologies if it has, do I need a work permit to teach online; students outside Thailand and money not deposited in Thailand, so totally out of country, except that I am here in LOS? I am on a retirement extension of stay.  

Thanks in advance.

2 minutes ago, ubonjoe said:

Legally yes but in reality no as long as you keep a low profile about what you are doing.

Thanks Joe, but of course not easy when you are advertising your skills and contacts outside the country, but I take your point. 

• Confused 1

9 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

do I need a work permit to teach online; students outside Thailand and money not deposited in Thailand, so totally out of country, except that I am here in LOS? I am on a retirement extension of stay.  

Perfectly legal.

Can go to do it at any of the 1000's of Co-working spaces around Thailand that cater to such. 

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/10/thailand-immigration-officials-raid-chiang-mai-co-working-space/

• Confused 1

Payment (royalties) from a foreign company not based in Thailand is taxable. The rate varies by country but the vast majority of source countries are taxed at 10%. One notable exception is Taiwan, which as I remember is only 5% because of the terms of a dual taxation policy.

33 minutes ago, revup said:

Payment (royalties) from a foreign company not based in Thailand is taxable. The rate varies by country but the vast majority of source countries are taxed at 10%. One notable exception is Taiwan, which as I remember is only 5% because of the terms of a dual taxation policy.

Unless you keep the money outside of Thailand and bring it in after 1 year, then it is not taxable.

Therefore if you do happen to have 1 year of savings outside the country you can rotate the income and savings to be legally tax free. This doesn't mean tax rules do not apply in the country where the income was generated though and there may be a tax liability there.

• Thanks 2

3 hours ago, NightSky said:

Unless you keep the money outside of Thailand and bring it in after 1 year, then it is not taxable.

Therefore if you do happen to have 1 year of savings outside the country you can rotate the income and savings to be legally tax free. This doesn't mean tax rules do not apply in the country where the income was generated though and there may be a tax liability there.

How are they to know if you had held new funds outside and then transferred them here? And have you ever heard of this being investigated by them so you have to pay an idiotic tax of your own money? If the money was made outside of Thailand it should be free and clear.. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Perfectly legal.

Can go to do it at any of the 1000's of Co-working spaces around Thailand that cater to such. 

https://asiancorrespondent.com/2014/10/thailand-immigration-officials-raid-chiang-mai-co-working-space/

Idiocy.  100% illegal, but as others have said, very unlikely to become any sort of issue

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, holy cow cm said:

How are they to know if you had held new funds outside and then transferred them here? And have you ever heard of this being investigated by them so you have to pay an idiotic tax of your own money? If the money was made outside of Thailand it should be free and clear.. 

No, they can not know as of the systems that are in use today.

No have never heard of anybody that has been investigated.

Yes, they should be, but that is not the legal way. The normal laws states for most countries, that if you reside over 180 days in another country, then you shall pay your tax there, otherwise you are eligable for tax in the country the money is made. it´s much more, only a quick introduction to that mine field. ???? 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Matzzon said:

No, they can not know as of the systems that are in use today.

No have never heard of anybody that has been investigated.

Yes, they should be, but that is not the legal way. The normal laws states for most countries, that if you reside over 180 days in another country, then you shall pay your tax there, otherwise you are eligable for tax in the country the money is made. it´s much more, only a quick introduction to that mine field. ???? 

No. You can get residuals or retirement or whatever you want to say brings in your money and pay the tax in your own country then are tax free, but is according to each countries mutual tax agreement. Either way to date it is not checked or followed up on, so I can at least say, not yet as of for here. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

So, nobody really knows the answer, but thanks to you all anyway.  

You have been told the answer repeatedly, and then one poster said something that was entirely incorrect.  You know the answer now too.

• Like 2

Any work of any kind requires a WP. Even volunteering. You might be ok now but remember the authorities can track your movements if they go searching. This may well be restrospective and the Chinese big brother is already here and will get bigger now the junta sees itself as legitimised. These idiots are looking for anyway to get rid of the 'bad' guys and you may well be caught up in it. 

• Haha 1

49 minutes ago, Pilotman said:

So, nobody really knows the answer, but thanks to you all anyway.  

You need a work permit.  Simple as that.

I'm surprised no one has posted the "But what if you say you are volunteering" excuse yet.  ????

• Confused 1

If you were to need a work permit then it would be logical to assume that it were possible to get a work permit.

Logic doesn't always work here in Thailand and the employment department have admitted that they have no rule governing any one working as a digital nomad.

Although never having actually said as such, they have also suggested that there are no laws under which digital nomads can be prosecuted.

Do your online teaching in your own place and don't shout about it. You will have no problems.

5 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Not a grey area at all.

Nothing illegal about it. ????

Immigration and the Ministry of Labor do. 

Completely legal.

Just go to the Thai Tax office and get a TIN, so you can pay tax on any income aid directly into Thailand, the same as property owners and stock-traders.

No WP needed to register and pay  Thai income Tax, as not all income here requires a WP. 

Well, then, if it's that easy, perhaps he should just teach in a school here.  ????

9 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Well, then, if it's that easy, perhaps he should just teach in a school here.  ????

Working here, as opposed to online, that would require a WP etc. ????

I do understand why TEFLers etc that jump through legal hoops at the sound of a Thai's whistle, get upset at the people who make their living online legally without having to do any of that nonsense. It can't be pleasant, and sure it ruffles a few feathers. 

2 minutes ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Working here, as opposed to online, that would require a WP etc. ????

I do understand why TEFLers etc that jump through legal hoops at the sound of a Thai's whistle, get upset at the people who make their living online legally without having to do any of that nonsense. It can't be pleasant, and sure it ruffles a few feathers. 

http://www.mol.go.th/en/content/page/6347

See No. 1 on the list.

1.  Labour work;

They use the term "labour" on purpose because it's so broad. 

Does online teaching require some labour?  Yes, it does. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Happy Grumpy said:

Perfectly legal.

Absolute nonsense, the labor department decides about work permits and you are not allowed to work on a retirement visa.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

It's somehow a grey area. Technically, you'd need one, but if you keep  a low profile, nobody really cares. 

Hundreds, or thousands others do it as well. I wouldn't be too concerned, if I were you. 

There is nothing grey about it.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

you are not allowed to work on a retirement visa.

You mean a Non O-A?

I'm afraid you're years behind the times. ????

visa1.jpg.60326c15357c7dbbd055d0dbca6a64

That 'Employment prohibited' stamp was done away with years and years ago. 

thai-one-year-visa-678x381.jpg

You're welcome. ????

Edited by Happy Grumpy