Thaivisa exclusive: Aussie admits parasite might have been in the juice not the Pad Thai

webfact

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

everybody attacking them .... they got a paraside in THAILAND

if it was pad thai or something else

bad hygiene in restaurants is REAL or are you blind

if they got sick from another non-thai dish, would anybody try to defame them ?

you never saw restaurant employees going out of the toilet without wash hands if there is any soap in the first place ?

4 minutes ago, justin case said:

everybody attacking them .... they got a paraside in THAILAND

if it was pad thai or something else

bad hygiene in restaurants is REAL or are you blind

if they got sick from another non-thai dish, would anybody try to defame them ?

you never saw restaurant employees going out of the toilet without wash hands if there is any soap in the first place ?

I've seen that happen in Australia many times.... ever gone to McDonalds and the girl is moping the floor and picking up trash then the store gets busy and she rushes behind the counter and starts serving without washing.

Please don't be so blind, they were broke and wanted to sell a good story ….  

Have I missed something obvious here?

I'm not defending this couple, but from what I've seen so far, the defenders have mentioned the temperature Pad Thai is cooked at, but what about the raw garnish?

"It may contain other vegetables like bean sprouts, garlic chives, pickled radishes or turnips, and raw banana flowers."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_thai

Just now, bluesofa said:

Have I missed something obvious here?

I'm not defending this couple, but from what I've seen so far, the defenders have mentioned the temperature Pad Thai is cooked at, but what about the raw garnish?

"It may contain other vegetables like bean sprouts, garlic chives, pickled radishes or turnips, and raw banana flowers."

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pad_thai

From what I've seen the Thai government is asserting that the parasite the couple claim to have got IS active in Australia but there have been no reported cases of it being present in Thailand

I live in Thailand im quite good at eating foods. Got few times diarrhea thats normal. Once got bad one after market food. Vomitting fever etc. Tho laste like 1 day then i was okay. 

2 hours ago, nev said:

Many other food or drink could have given them the parasite infection, Maybe the drank tap water while brushing their teeth?.

To blame it on Pad Thai with no proof it was that is just one made up story.

he or she could have brought home a mouthful of a most renowned throat and gut flora killer....

lactacyd_intimate_wash.jpg

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Thaivisa exclusive: Aussie admits parasite might have been in the juice not the Pad Thai

Here's reality.  They have no idea where they got infected.  It could have been anywhere including the flight they boarded or in their own home country.

But they have gotten more than their '15 minutes of fame.'

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Maybe they should stick to the famous Australian 7 course meal....six pack of beer and a pie!

Or Aussie country breakfast..... a piss & a look about !

these are just liars and nothing else.

it was not pad thai but it might be the juice now?

and tomorrow it was not the juice but the som tam down the road? 

i wonder if they get money from their insurance back home!

this smells like an insurance scam or maybe a scam to get benefit from government?

Just came across the discussion about the Australians who claim to have become sick from eating/drinking while they were in Thailand.  Two things to keep in mind.  First, how long were they in the country before leaving because as can be read below, the incubation period is not known?  I did not read that fact anywhere.  Second, from one of my medical books there are some interesting things to be read including testing and method of diagnosis.  See below:

Introduction

Dientamoeba fragilis (D. fragilis) is a single-celled parasite. It is not known for certain whether D. fragilis causes illness or not. D. fragilis is commonly found in faeces, both of people who are well and in people who have diarrhoea or other intestinal symptoms.

How Dientamoeba fragilis is spread

Uncertain. There are two main theories of how D. fragilis spreads.

D. fragilis may be spread through contamination of hands, objects or food with infected faeces. The parasite is then taken in by the mouth. 

Alternatively, D. fragilis may be spread by threadworms (pinworms). D. fragilis might be protected by threadworm eggs. Threadworms are caught when someone swallows the worm’s eggs. Threadworm eggs hatch inside the bowel, where they live, then travel out through the anus (back passage) to lay their eggs on the skin there at night time. Threadworm eggs may be picked up on the fingers and transferred to the mouth if the person scratches their bottom or does not wash their hands after going to the toilet. Threadworm eggs may also fall off into bedding or clothing, or be wafted into the air, settling on many surfaces in the home or school.

Signs and symptoms

People who are infected with D. fragilis may not have any symptoms.

Symptoms, when they occur, may include: abdominal pain, diarrhoea, excess gas, poor appetite, fatigue, nausea, weight loss, vomiting and tiredness. It may be that these symptoms are not caused by D. fragilis infection.

Diagnosis

Exclude other causes of illness.

Diagnosis is made by examination or PCR testing of a faecal specimen.

Incubation period

(time between becoming infecte­d and developing symptoms)

Unknown

Infectious period

(time during which an infected person can infect others)

Unknown

Treatment

Most people with D. fragilis infection do not require treatment.

Retesting of a faecal specimen after antimicrobial treatment (if given) is not recommended.

Seek medical advice if any of the following symptoms are present (note that these are unlikely to be caused by D. fragilis????

Adults

• signs of dehydration, such as thirst and decreased urination, lethargy, dry mouth, feeling faint on standing
  • fever
  • severe abdominal pain
  • bloody diarrhoea.

Children

• signs of dehydration, such as thirst and decreased urination, lethargy, dry mouth, sunken eyes, feeling faint on standing
  • fever
  • abdominal pain
  • bloody diarrhoea
  • any symptoms in a child less than 12 months of age.

Prevention

• People with confirmed D. fragilis without symptoms do not need to be excluded.
  • Exclude people with diarrhoea from childcare, preschool, school and work until there has been no diarrhoea for 24 hours. If working as a food handler in a food business, the exclusion period should be until there has been no diarrhoea or vomiting for 48 hours.
  • Infants, children and adults with diarrhoea should not swim until there has been no diarrhoea for 24 hours.
  • Follow good hand washing and keeping areas clean procedures.

Always conduct proper research before saying anything or putting digits to a keyboard.

'nuf sed.

A parasitic infection from the onset would usually take 3-5 days before showing any symptoms.. Micro parasites need time to mature and multiply from larvae, certainly not over a few hours..

So the source, whether it be food, ingestion of tap water after brushing their teeth or could be a variety of other hygiene possibilities.. Normally if someone has short time symptoms, is more likely to be gastro or food poisoning, which we know is not the case here.. 

So the source could have come from anywhere.. 

3 hours ago, ezzra said:

I don't blame to clueless aussies but the general media who likes to make a big deal out of what the perceive to be a piece of sensational news tarnishing a country or a group of people without waiting to substantiate the facts first, not for nothing the coin phrase "fake news" was invented  a badge of shame that most media outlets richly deserves...

..all their doing...after all they approached the media...they now have to accept what will happen.. 'The Three Little Pigs' is now 'War and Peace'.

4 hours ago, nev said:

Many other food or drink could have given them the parasite infection, Maybe the drank tap water while brushing their teeth?.

To blame it on Pad Thai with no proof it was that is just one made up story.

Or did they take a ride on a water taxi?  One drop of water in your mouth and you'll ingest some nasty parasites.

You can pick up parasites in almost every country in the world, INCLUDING their home country of Australia. 

So if they get infected with a parasite in Australia, are they going to move to Antarctica???? 

5 hours ago, webfact said:

When we traveled to Thailand, it was with the intention of moving their (sic) long term, since our business was profitable enough for us to do so.  

I think you might have that the wrong way round....if it is profitable enough...then you can probably afford to live at home....if it is not that profitable then you could always move to Thailand?

This is very confusing. All of a sudden the national bar-stool barristers have turned from Thai bashers to the great defenders of the faith just because a couple of Ozzies got poorly from eating Thai food. It happens, get over it.  Who gives a flying fig whether they got it from street food or just as probable in a poncy overpriced western restaurant. 

Archived