Safety in Thailand: Only 33 "Sanuk" parks have licences - take your pick

webfact

Safety in Thailand: Only 33 "Sanuk" parks have licences - take your pick

8pm.jpg
Picture: Daily News

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority have been inspecting themes parks in Bangkok and have discovered that only 33 have the requisite licences. 

Fifteen inspected since April do not and are therefore not up to the standards set by the BMA. 

Of these nine are in the process of applying for licences and six have been issued with notices of 7 or 15 days to apply or the owners will face 50,000 baht fines and six month jail terms. 

Daily News pictured BMA deputy Thaweesak Lertpraphan, government ministerial level staff and other officials enjoying a day out at one of the theme parks on the acceptable/licensed list. This was Bangkok's Siam Park, a long established theme park in the capital. 

8pm1.jpg
Picture: Daily News

All the inspected parks are either stand alone facilities like Siam Park or "Suan Sanuk" or fun parks and other facilities in department stores in the capital. 

Daily News published the list of fully licensed and approved facilities. They did not give details of the ones that so far had not been given approval or who had not even applied for a license. 

Here is the approved list:

1. Siam Park
2. Kidspace, Chatuchak.
3. Kiddyland, Chatuchak.
4. Bouncing (Thailand), Esplanade, Din Daeng.
5. Skippyland, The Mall, Tha Phra.
6. Fantasy Lagoon, Bang Khae.
7. Fantasy (Thailand), Bang Khae.
8. The Mall Water Park, Bangkapi.
9. Magic World, Lotus Rama 2.
10. Magic World, Big C, Rama 2.
11. Sanuk Game Zone, Big C, Rama 2.
12. Playspace (Playground) Bang Khun Thian.
13. An unnamed facility on the 4th floor of Central Rama 2.
14. Magic World Skippy Land (Bang Prakop) Big C.
15. Magic World Skippy Land (Rat Burana).
16. Magic World Skippy Land, Lotus Bang Prakop.
17. Eon Fantasy, Lat Prao.
18. Skippy Land, Wattana. 
19. Bounce, Wattana.
20. Skippy Wonderland, Nong Khaem.
21. Magic World, Skippy Land Nong Jork.
22. Magic World, Kids Soft Play, Lotus Chaeng Wattana.
23. Family Amusement (Fun Planet) Central Rama 2.
24. Terminal Extra Entertainment (Asiatique Sky), Bang Khor Laem.
25. Magic World, Bang Sue.
26. Saphasinkha, Central Bang Na. 
27. Kid's Edutainment, Pathumwan.
28. Magic World, Pathumwan.
29. Seacon Development (Yo Yo Land) Prawet.
30. Eon Fantasy, Paradise Park, Prawet.
31. Seacon Bangkhae (Yo Yo Land), Phasee Charoen.
32. Skippy Wonderland, Minburi. 
33. Family Amusement (Fun Planet), Yannawa. 

Source: Daily News

3 minutes ago, webfact said:

Fifteen inspected since April do not and are therefore not up to the standards set by the BMA. 

Speaking of standards. Years ago, we went to Siam Park to play in the water with our daughter. We found shade by the slide and it was quite entertaining. This is the only Thai guy that was able to stand up going down the slide so I'm thinking he set the standard. Many others tried to and it was a blast watching them tumble on the way down. I was surprised there was only one broken arm that afternoon.

Siam_Water_Park_047.jpg

20 minutes ago, webfact said:

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority have been inspecting themes parks in Bangkok and have discovered that only 33 have the requisite licences

'discovered'?

I'm glad they're on the ball, so to speak.

Which park with a licence has dobbed in the others without one?

That's the second discovery today:

'Police raided traders in Khao San Road earlier this morning after it was "discovered" they were selling balloons filled with nitrous oxide'.

Coming up: Dr Livingstone I presume? Foreign doctor 'discovered' in the wilderness of Bangna working illegally.

39 minutes ago, webfact said:
They did not give details of the ones that so far had not been given approval or who had not even applied for a license. 

Would that not be more relevant in view of safety? Or are only a few people at risk of being hurt, killed or maimed?

2 hours ago, webfact said:

Daily News published the list of fully licensed and approved facilities. They did not give details of the ones that so far had not been given approval or who had not even applied for a license. 

Yeah, I know the problem sometimes the envelopes got stuck in the mail.

8 hours ago, missoura said:

Speaking of standards. Years ago, we went to Siam Park to play in the water with our daughter. We found shade by the slide and it was quite entertaining. This is the only Thai guy that was able to stand up going down the slide so I'm thinking he set the standard. Many others tried to and it was a blast watching them tumble on the way down. I was surprised there was only one broken arm that afternoon.

Siam_Water_Park_047.jpg

Oh my God - I haven't been there for maybe 8-9 years but I saw the same guy doing the exact same thing!  Same hair, same budgie smugglers.

17 hours ago, smedly said:

and is having a licence going to improve safety ?

I think not, standards cost money to enforce and maintain - money Thailand is unwilling to spend

Possibly not, but with the drop-off in tourism of 20%-30% & safety being high on the list of tourist complaints I think having to be inspected to get a licence is a step in the right direction.

How about an annual licence with a 90 day check to see if standards are maintained properly.

Good parks in Bad parks out...

Works for farangs !!

27 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

Possibly not, but with the drop-off in tourism of 20%-30% & safety being high on the list of tourist complaints I think having to be inspected to get a licence is a step in the right direction.

How about an annual licence with a 90 day check to see if standards are maintained properly.

Good parks in Bad parks out...

Works for farangs !!

Does that mean there might be an opening for 'licence agents' who will handle everything for them, for a fee?

Disgusting that they put children’s and young people’s lives at risk by allowing them to operate without inspection and licensing.

Would you let your kids travel on a train that hadn’t been fully tested and authorized?

Oh oh I forgot, here they let 13 year olds ride 1000cc motorcycles!

The Bangkok Metropolitan Authority have been inspecting themes parks in Bangkok and have discovered that only 33 have the requisite licences

How difficult is it to record the Licence expiry date in the BMA computers and send inspectors to the sites a month before hand ?

1 minute ago, cracker1 said:

How difficult is it to record the Licence expiry date in the BMA computers and send inspectors to the sites a month before hand ?

Ha ha ha! You're using ferang logic again - now stop it!

Archived