Cornish Pasties

SteveK

OK so next week I will be going to Ubon and whilst there I will pop into Makro for as much steak as I can buy. I intend to to make proper cornish pasties, something which I love dearly. The issue being that I live in an Isaan village house with no oven, so will be cooking these in one of the oil-drum type barbeques. Has anyone done this before? I suspect that the temperature might be too low to bake the pasties.

On 7/12/2019 at 1:07 PM, BritManToo said:

I just use one of those 'Otto' Pyrex ovens.

Works perfectly well for pies and pasties, costs less than 1,000bht from Tesco et al.

Mine's worked well for nearly 8 years. Some I made earlier.

otto.jpg

pasties.jpg

They look exceedingly good, while your pastry looks like short crust, I use bought in puff pastry for mince n onion pasties, but often still have a soggy bottom and never thought to use my similar Otto oven.

Do you use the same temperature in your Otto as you would in a normal oven and position them top or bottom?. Is that the tin you put in the oven also?

Thanks and apologies for the many question.

2 hours ago, james.d said:

They look exceedingly good, while your pastry looks like short crust, I use bought in puff pastry for mince n onion pasties, but often still have a soggy bottom and never thought to use my similar Otto oven.

Do you use the same temperature in your Otto as you would in a normal oven and position them top or bottom?. Is that the tin you put in the oven also?

Thanks and apologies for the many question.

I just use flour and cheap (solid) palm oil for the pastry, with a bit of water or milk to get it the right consistency.

Cook the filling in a saucepan (minced pork and onion, or yellow chicken and potato curry), then make sure it isn't too wet.

Fold the pastry around it and cook in the oven for 10-15 minutes on 170c. (puncture with a fork, dab on some milk).

That's the tray that goes in the bottom of the pyrex oven.

Grease the tray or the pies will stick (same palm oil), don't over cook or the pies will stick.

different tray for shepherds pie.

pie 1.jpg

pie 2.jpg

1 minute ago, SteveK said:

The ovens are 790 on Lazada. Your shepherd's pie looks a bit anemic, is that pork mince by any chance?

Yep, I only eat pork and chicken in Thailand these days.

The colour balance on the photo is a bit off, it looked and tasted fine in real life.

How about a Key Lime pie.

pie 3.jpg

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

The colour balance on the photo is a bit off, it looked and tasted fine in real life.

pie 3.jpg

Not really Shepherds pie then. I've never known a shepherd to take care of pigs. 555

48 minutes ago, puchooay said:

Not really Shepherds pie then. I've never known a shepherd to take care of pigs. 555

If you can't get lamb then substitute with pork or beef. The name doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the final result.

BTW, How many real life working shepherds do you know?

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

If you can't get lamb then substitute with pork or beef. The name doesn't matter as long as you enjoy the final result.

BTW, How many real life working shepherds do you know?

Doesn't really matter how many shepherds there are. Tradition says that shepherds pie is made from lamb.

When ever I make such a dish with pork I would call it Pork Cottage Pie. Still not totally accurate, although even if I used beef for a cottage pie I would add pork for fat and tenderness.

My original comment was tongue in cheek anyway.

3 hours ago, puchooay said:

Doesn't really matter how many shepherds there are. Tradition says that shepherds pie is made from lamb.

When ever I make such a dish with pork I would call it Pork Cottage Pie. Still not totally accurate, although even if I used beef for a cottage pie I would add pork for fat and tenderness.

My original comment was tongue in cheek anyway.

Up2U.

"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet" 

Unfortunately out here in rural Khampaeng Phet I have to travel to KPP city 65 km each way to Makro and the choice there is somewhat limited hence my remark that if you ain't got it, substitute it with what you do have.

On 7/14/2019 at 11:46 AM, BritManToo said:

pie 3.jpg

Jesus now ur just showing off 5555. Your food looks excellent. How about the recipe for that pie? I reckon I'd do meringue on top too 

31 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Jesus now ur just showing off 5555. Your food looks excellent. How about the recipe for that pie? I reckon I'd do meringue on top too 

Try doing a Google search for key lime pie. There are lots of recipes out there.

53 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

I cheat with the Key Lime pie and do the filling in the microwave.

My own personal Key lime variation

Make the pie crust in the Otto first.

then the filling,
3 eggs, 12oz tin of sweetened condensed milk, juice from 1-2 limes 25ml

Pour everything into a pyrex microwave bowl at least double the filling mix size, stir thoroughly.  Cook in microwave on HIGH for 5-7 minutes.  Whisk well after each minute.  After 4 minutes, whisk every 30 seconds.  Watch filling carefully.  Do not answer the phone or get distracted, this is something you have to watch.  It will become thick in a split second and lumpy if you don't stir often. Keep cooking till thick but do not allow to boil. When your stirring creates ridges that don't flatten out (see photo), pour into your finished pie crust. Flatten out with the back of a spoon then allow to cool, put in the fridge for it to set firm.

pie filling.jpg

22 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

I cheat with the Key Lime pie and do the filling in the microwave.

My own personal Key lime variation

Make the pie crust in the Otto first.

then the filling,
3 eggs, 12oz tin of sweetened condensed milk, juice from 1-2 limes 25ml

Pour everything into a pyrex microwave bowl at least double the filling mix size, stir thoroughly.  Cook in microwave on HIGH for 5-7 minutes.  Whisk well after each minute.  After 4 minutes, whisk every 30 seconds.  Watch filling carefully.  Do not answer the phone or get distracted, this is something you have to watch.  It will become thick in a split second and lumpy if you don't stir often. Keep cooking till thick but do not allow to boil. When your stirring creates ridges that don't flatten out (see photo), pour into your finished pie crust. Flatten out with the back of a spoon then allow to cool, put in the fridge for it to set firm.

pie filling.jpg

Looks great mate, and easy. Thanks a bunch. One of the best things about living here..if you can cook ingredients so good and cheap. I nearly get a woody going to the markets with all the fresh herbs and veges. Many now saying it's cheaper to live back home these days...maybe in some instances Gasolene, electricity, farang restaurant food, foreign goods etc but rent and food still very cheap. The strong baht ATM is killing all of us but I like how you can adjust your living to match your finances. Mind you I have myself in the habit now of not thinking in terms of baht any more. 20 baht doesn't sound like much, but it's a dollar AUS now. Always sounds like 20 cents. I balk at stuff like cream at nearly 100 baht ($5). 

But I can still make 4 chicken Schnitz, mash, veg and mushroom sauce for under 80 baht. Marinated pork steaks are great on the bbq and cost nothing. Pork loin studded with garlic, seared in the pan then slow cooked in the oven / alfoil for 30 mins with gravy, roast spuds and pumpkin / veg. Pork loin about 150 baht a kilo Tesco. Half a kilo makes enough for me and the kids dinner and cold cuts next day or two. Pasties and pies yum and not expensive when you make your own pastry and use pork...and that palm oil marg is actually really good in cooking and cheap as. I make my own bread every week. Cure my own bacon and ham. Eat like a king. And not to save money, but it's a great bonus. Pretty much tired of second rate Thai food and it's just too hot to go out lately particularly eating in an open side of the road restaurant. I love cooking and its a wonderful hobby but it is showing around my waistline ????

45 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

By the way Britman, does your lime mixture set just with the eggs and condensed milk? Dont need any cornflour etc?

It's the heat from microwave that sets the mix, if you don't heat it long enough it doesn't set.

I also do custard tarts a similar way.

Archived