Help for Thai national being deported from US after 40 years

9 minutes ago, stinkerbell said:

Yes, the U.S. is within their rights to deport him however unfair it seems especially for the nonviolent nature of his crime, so we are just trying to help make the transition easier for him when the time comes.

If he is remotely religious it might be he can hook up with a church or an NGO group who can help him find his way. Temples I don't think so, but there are some volunteer organizations he may be able to fit into to get his feet on the ground. Now he doesn't speak any Thai? Big problem and even then so as Issan is a different language and different type of Thai people as well. In the end he will be ok.

It has been going on since well before this Orange man-child got into office BUT the frequent problem.
“Never bothered to get naturalized”

Imagine a Long Beach raised American other than a bit of paper barely speaking conversational Khmer deported to Cambodia?

12 hours ago, stinkerbell said:

if they are getting him a Thai passport or what. Will try to find out.

... just read further that he is in a "detention center"   comment removed

Edited by Skallywag
  • Like 1

He has got to start learning Thai asap. Does he speak no Thai? He is essentially going to be a foreigner here no matter how many times he tells people he is "Thai". Once he tells them he is Thai in Thai, things are going to get a lot easier for him. Myself I would focus the vast majority of my efforts on learning the language and proper pronunciations etc. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Uptooyoo said:

So he's 45 years old. Culturally he's an American; the same as taking any American who's never been to Thailand and just droppin' him in to fend for himself. He'll never make it, without help. Very little english is spoken here. A life of poverty awaits.

He could always get a job teaching english or working in Boystown.

45 is young, it is mentioned that he will be provided with some money.  

If US deports him to Thailand, this is where he will live and work 

Edited by Skallywag

31 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

Might contact her former husband if still alive as he might have some information to share and believe you mentioned a sister and why would she have the same problem if born in USA (or are you saying both were born in Thailand and traveled with mother)?

If appeal possible would go that route first as this surely ranks as cruel if not unusual punishment after 40 years stay (even for the current crowd in DC).

I never got the full story on the kids' dad but long gone.  Nobody talks about it.  Yes he has a sister also born in Thailand.  Both came to the U.S. as military dependents.  

Saw him today and for some reason he is concerned that they would put him in a Thai jail when he got there.  I have no idea why that would be as he has done nothing wrong in Thailand.  Does anyone know if that's a serious possibility?  As far as I have seen on the internet is that different countries do different things with regards to deportees.  My guess is that they would just cut him loose at the airport.

19 minutes ago, meand said:

He has got to start learning Thai asap. Does he speak no Thai? He is essentially going to be a foreigner here no matter how many times he tells people he is "Thai". Once he tells them he is Thai in Thai, things are going to get a lot easier for him. Myself I would focus the vast majority of my efforts on learning the language and proper pronunciations etc. 

Maybe a few words but essentially none.  Am hopeful that he can pick it up quickly.  His American stepdad speaks more Thai than he does from being stationed there and from being married to a Thai for many years.  You should have seen the look on a Thai taxi driver's face when he referred to Trump as bo ba ba lo. 

2 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

It he has an unserved jail sentence expect it could be an exchange of prisoners and jail time possible but am not an authority on such.  

He served his full sentence and ICE picked him up when he was released.  He has now been in detention longer than he was in jail.

19 minutes ago, stinkerbell said:

I never got the full story on the kids' dad but long gone.  Nobody talks about it.  Yes he has a sister also born in Thailand.  Both came to the U.S. as military dependents.  

I was thinking of the stepdad that brought them to USA and expect lived with them for an extended period before divorce.  During that time period there may have been contact with family, even if not with children's birth father.

21 hours ago, stinkerbell said:

and he never bothered to get naturalized

21 hours ago, stinkerbell said:

He got into some trouble with the law (no violent crime)

Sounds rather like he is a victim of his own deliberate misdeeds and you should not worry about him

• Sad 1

28 minutes ago, Skallywag said:

He could always get a job teaching english or working in Boystown.

45 is young, it is mentioned that he will be provided with some money.  

If US deports him to Thailand, this is where he will live and work 

How could he start teaching? Oh, I get it, he's lived in America.

Have you heard about the criminal background checks that have started for teachers?

But how do you apply for a job, if you don't even have a passport?

I was just wondering what any Thai members here might think, after reading your post. 

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

Cambodians have been sent back there from the USA for years, it's not just Thais

So much for American humanity, empathy and compassion

Sending a person with no language skills to a country they have no connection with, sounds like the work of the Australian government

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, mtls2005 said:

I guess I'd be surprised if this person could be deported to Thailand without the approval of the Thai government/MFA, and their representatives in Washington, DC? I mean the U.S. isn't like Thailand, smuggling ~ 100 Uighers back to China ziptied to the seats with black bags over their heads.

The US has imposed sanctions on many countries that refused to take back its citizen deportees.

Thailand will not dare to say no to take back deportees from US.

Myanmar and Laos hit with visa sanctions in 2018.

https://www.upi.com/Top_News/World-News/2018/07/11/Myanmar-Laos-hit-with-visa-sanctions-for-rejecting-deportees-from-US/9921531361305/

10 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

So much for American humanity, empathy and compassion

Sending a person with no language skills to a country they have no connection with, sounds like the work of the Australian government

Or the British government? 

33 minutes ago, stinkerbell said:

Saw him today and for some reason he is concerned that they would put him in a Thai jail when he got there. 

I wonder why he thinks this?

I would hope that the Thai Army would not prosecute him for avoiding the draft/conscription?

And that the Thai government has agreed to take him back.

How long has he been in the detention center? Has he had his hearing? What are the next steps? Has his return been scheduled?

It sounds like everyone has given up hope of him being able to stay in the U.S.? 

I would consult an immigration attorney ASAP, but clearly there is much unknown here.

7 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

This sounds horrendous. Is there anything more that could be done from the US end of things, such as to initiate naturalization or adoption proceedings (if his stepfather is willing) and to lobby on his behalf there? Are there legal precedents where similar cases are overturned, and does he have US legal representation?

Throwing a non-speaker onto the streets in Thailand without even an ID card is close to barbaric, if he doesn't have someone this end to give him food and shelter for the first few months at least. 

That was my thought, the same thing has happened in Australia where people who do not hold citizenship, particularly from NZ and have committed serious crimes have been deported.

There are as Joe stated appeal processes which I would have thought would be the first avenue to explore, plus there are elected representatives in government who could be approached for assistance.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Orton Rd said:

Cambodians have been sent back there from the USA for years, it's not just Thais

I think the Cambodians migrated with asylum status to the USA. People who went through the process and got the residency, they were not sent back. It is only the people who did not take the initiatives to go through the process and whose asylum status were rejected, they were sent back. Of course, some children (now grown ups) were caught in this limbo state as they did not know their statuses and never bother to find out and legitimize.

1 hour ago, Orton Rd said:

No country should have to keep criminals and gangsters, of course they all have a sob story when they get chucked out, cry me a river!

In a sense I have no sympathy for this guy as he was stealing cars which is rather severe. He should have educated himself to stay on the proper side of the law and now he wants to remorse. Sorry. If I do something here and jail time in Thailand, I am deported. We are all responsible for our actions. But do wish them well as putting their lives back together as I am not totally insensitive. The city of Stockton is a mess from kids like this.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, StevieAus said:

I suppose you would prefer the same situation as has happened in Europe and the consequences that followed.

If you feel so strongly about it you can always sponsor some of the individuals concerned,

I won’t hold my breath though.

Oh please feel free to hold your breath ????

Whether America, Thailand or any other nation, immigration has become a major issue.   Don't expect compassion from your host country.   Complying with the rules,  even if the host country changes them is the aliens responsible.  The days of an "open door policy",  regardless of circumstances are over.  This just life today. It's a hard world.

If you are deported from Thailand for failing to meet the rules, to the USA for example,  nobody in the USA is going to help.  Even if you are 80 years old. Life is not easy. 

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/cities-brace-ice-deportation-raids-trump-threats-spread/story?id=64268222

Edited by CaptainJack
Additional information
  • Like 1

There was a famous rapper in America, can't remember his name, who it was discovered was infact British. His mum has brought him over when he was about 7, I think. 

It was all over the papers for days. 

Anyone know how he sorted hia situation out? Because all went quiet about him. 

Ia there away to use that information to help the lad?