Help for Thai national being deported from US after 40 years

The US does not deport people convicted of misdemeanor crimes.  If a person has committed a felony crime then they are eligible to be deported if they are not a US citizen.  Given that the Thai person in this case is not a US citizen he most likely committed a felony crime of some sort so that is why he is being deported.  There are many types of non-violent felonies that he could have committed to qualify him for deportation.  It is too bad that his step Dad and his mother never went through the process to have him become a naturalized US citizen as this 45 year old man is now suffering the consequences for it.  He can attempt to get an immigration lawyer to stop the deportation orders but it is very difficult to do so.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Elkski said:

I think USA  needs to become  as hard on thais and all visa overstayers as Thailand has done.    Thai people are not refugees or asylum seekers. 

You're aware that a major part of Thailand's reason for doing this was because of harder measures imposed by other countries on Thais in the past? The immigration bureau commissioner in 2014 essentially admitted the crackdown at that time was a tit for tat response to the harder line shown by other countries - South Korea, Russia and Vietnam were singled out at the time, but we've all seen what's happened since. Just as there's no winners in a trade war, there's no winners in an immigration war. 

Edited by lamyai3
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Miami007 said:

Hopefully he has some savings to get him started.

A lot might depend on his family relationships. His stepfather is retired US military and no doubt on a decent pension, so if he feels partly responsible for not having pushed the naturalization issue in the past, he might be prepared to help him with an allowance until he gets on his feet. 10k baht a month is more than minimum wage here and would be enough to live on. This depends on many things though, and the family relations may not be good, or the son may be seen as trouble.

If the man is resourceful, able to pick up the language easily, friendly and likeable, he will transition much more easily to Thailand, and in the long term might find he is much happier living here. The short and medium term transitions are the difficult part, but if he is able to become fluent in Thai (and he'll need to) he has one major advantage here, as a native English speaker at a level any aspirational Thai could only envy. It was mentioned incidentally that he was a security guard in the US in the past, so equivalent employment here shouldn't be hard to find. 

6 hours ago, Hanuman2547 said:

The US does not deport people convicted of misdemeanor crimes

Yes they do - or at least they can. If the crime is what is known as a "crime of moral turpitude," which is also a deportable offence. For instance:

These can include both felonies and misdemeanors.  [...] small crimes like petty theft or shoplifting, which are typically misdemeanors, can also be considered as such.

There are also crimes that have been classified as "aggravated felonies" for the purposes of immigration-related deportation and despite the image conjured up by that phrase, "the list of aggravated felonies includes many crimes that are typically only charged as misdemeanors" such as (again) simple theft or missing a court appearance.

Misdemeanor conviction - immigration law

Edited by GroveHillWanderer
  • Like 1

The US does not deport people convicted of misdemeanor crimes.  If a person has committed a felony crime then they are eligible to be deported if they are not a US citizen.  Given that the Thai person in this case is not a US citizen he most likely committed a felony crime of some sort so that is why he is being deported.  There are many types of non-violent felonies that he could have committed to qualify him for deportation.  It is too bad that his step Dad and his mother never went through the process to have him become a naturalized US citizen as this 45 year old man is now suffering the consequences for it.  He can attempt to get an immigration lawyer to stop the deportation orders but it is very difficult to do so.
They called it felony eluding. Not a misdemeanor when running from the cops.

The SEA community in California and elsewhere in the US, is quite good at gaming the system. I'm sure they know the resources available and have probably used them. Although Thai, there are many Lao immigrants and they have a network of resources. They even told me they could help if needed because I speak Thai. I didn't accept.
Any idea how to find such a group in Washington state?

18 hours ago, stinkerbell said:
On 7/14/2019 at 12:01 PM, FredGallaher said:
The SEA community in California and elsewhere in the US, is quite good at gaming the system. I'm sure they know the resources available and have probably used them. Although Thai, there are many Lao immigrants and they have a network of resources. They even told me they could help if needed because I speak Thai. I didn't accept.

Any idea how to find such a group in Washington state?

Try Loa Family Services They will accept him because he's from Issan.

Edited by GroupA

On 7/14/2019 at 3:17 AM, Scott said:

It's been a while since I was involved in cases where people were forcibly repatriated or deported.   The home country has to agree to accept a person being deported.   This is not too difficult if the person has a valid passport from the home country.   If not, then travel documents have to be provided by the home country.  

Being born in Thailand does not automatically make him a Thai citizen, so Thailand could deny his return or delay it for a long time pending a decision that he is, in fact, a  Thai citizen.  

Once Thailand agrees to accept him, then it is just a matter of finding an appropriate means to return him.   Most people being deported fly on specially chartered (and expensive) ICE flights.  

There are over 100,000 people in the US with deportation orders to countries that have refused to take them.   In 2017, Cambodia had sanctions placed on it by the US for failing to accept returnees.  

So the documentation to allow him to return to Thailand will be provided by the Thai government.  

If his mother is Thai he is considered Thai, even if born outside Thailand. The US couldn't deport him if they could not prove he was Thai. I'm sure it's all been arranged.

Hope he has where with all to quickly make the best of his situation. 

I suggest he seeks out relatives in Ubon and concentrates on learning Thai. Families even if poor, are very accepting. There is work to be had for Thais who are fluent in English and western ways.. He needs to learn how to make a good (Thai) impression. 

I tried to google this for more information and came up with nothing regarding a Thai man being deported. Are you sure this is true? If so a little more information is needed. Since the information has been vague, it's hard to believe. There's information about other nationalities but nothing that matches this case. 

I tried to google this for more information and came up with nothing regarding a Thai man being deported. Are you sure this is true? If so a little more information is needed. Since the information has been vague, it's hard to believe. There's information about other nationalities but nothing that matches this case. 
Am not sure what you are searching on. The deportation is pending documents of some sort. Mom's Thai passport was given up when she was naturalized and hard to say what else she still has. You would think the government could find that if they wanted to. Feel free to PM. Thanks.

The only thing that family has found so far is the divorce papers between mom and step dad. Not sure if that would be enough? I am backing out of this a while since he is resistant to doing anything to help his current situation. I discovered that this child is actually 50 years old. Appreciate the help and advice that you all have provided. Will check back later this week.

She must have been naturalized before 1992. Since then there was no need to renounce Thai citizenship. If she knows where she was registered before they can find it. 
Supposedly the Thai have been looking for info but don't know how hard.