Home Air Conditioners

JimmyTheMook

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I've never seen an Electrolux AC (?).  The favorite seems to be Daikin "inverter" for energy saving, quiet, and low problem.  (Well, that's my favorite from the 4 different brands I have had.)

Maybe Electrolux is a new player and why I'm seeing them on sale at the local HomePro.

Often Daikin / Trane are the more pricey names - have gone with Samsung w/o real issue but need a 18,000 btu and shopping currently. 

My dealings with Electrolux Thailand was as you imagine communicating with aliens on another planet would be. Parts for my appliance were not in Thailand but available at ridiculous cost and needed to be ordered from Europe.

I would give a no brand AC priority over anything Electrofux had on offer.

Stick with well known brands who have decent support and large stocks of parts available nationwide. Daikin has already been mentioned, Mitsubishi is another.     

I've had a mitsubishi 22kbtu inverter downstairs for about 3 years now, smooth quiet operation as one would expect...

I've had a 18kbtu hitachi conventional unit in operation in the upstairs bedroom for about 6 years, it's noisy but still puts out the same as when it was installed, sleep like a baby with my cuddly duvet...the hitachi is significantly cheaper to purchase and install prorating for the greater mitsu power...always keep them units clean and well maintained for the greatest benefit...

I have an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. The warranty repair took 3 months and many motivating e-mails to get it back. I have 2 Daikin aircons. Never again. Also their hotline is from my experience there just for decoration. 

Pretty soon I want to buy 4 new aircons. I have heard Mitsubishi should be good. I am also thinking about LG and Samsung. I am afraid in the end you just can buy and hope the best.... Before I also had a cheap Midea and a very old Ami aircon. They never ever had a problem. 

Mitsubishi for nearly 10 yrs no issues, regularly serviced, gecko did fry one connection but other than that, faultless. Samsung in another area and that has also proved very good with only one minor issue in 6 years.

I had good luck with 2 18KBTU inverter Hitachi for about 2 years. Hitachi unit fan inside the condo is louder than a 18K BTU Mitsubishi (non inverter). Compressor on all units outside, are quite.

I recommend only the Japanese ACs, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, etc.

Buy Hitachi. Made in Thailand. Easy to get repair and parts for. Probably not the quietest, but reliable. 

I know Daiken has a presence in Thailand, but from experience they have gremlins that won't pop up until a year later (blown capacitors). Samsung is good, not cheap, and harder to find parts and service. Electrolux is the new kid on the block...I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

• 3 weeks later...

I'll second the comments on Mitsubishi inverter .. with one caveat.  We have has 2 for about 10 years.  Work great. One has had 2 main-board failures. Cost 8k from Bkk and 4k in kk (second failure).  But I still recommend them.

On ‎7‎/‎17‎/‎2019 at 10:00 AM, CharlieH said:

Mitsubishi for nearly 10 yrs no issues, regularly serviced, gecko did fry one connection but other than that, faultless. Samsung in another area and that has also proved very good with only one minor issue in 6 years.

My Samsung AC bedroom unit has never been cleaned manually in 5 years - only self-cleaning option has been activated frequently  

Absent is front cover and filler - electric usage on the unit is down 25  percent and always a cool room compared with previous experience   

Unit height 100 cm - will do a blow cleaning this year

9 hours ago, evilebxxx said:

My Samsung AC bedroom unit has never been cleaned manually in 5 years - only self-cleaning option has been activated frequently 

I wonder how that can work to prevent the build-up of cruddy black mould on the cage fan? My unit needs that mould removing every 4 months or so, and if it isn't done the thing just stops working completely.

But maybe your unit is not in use 24/7 like mine is. Units that are only used for a few hours a day probably dont get that mould build-up.

7 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Yes. They provide a more stable temperature also.

Do you have a general thought on the unit price increase, of the actual ac? Double, a little more, triple? 

I Will check them out but just curious. 

52 minutes ago, meand said:

Do you have a general thought on the unit price increase, of the actual ac? Double, a little more, triple? 

I haven't studied it but I would guess perhaps 20-30% more. You will save the extra cost very quickly if you use the unit at all often.

Pays to compare Watts (energy) per BTU/h between units. LG has a dual inverter system that was more efficient than I had expected. Haven’t found any technical details on what they are doing with it, but a hotel I stayed at had them and their efficiency was much higher than I expected. 

@KittenKong are your filters clean?  Try keeping your fan on high and never open the windows during the day. 

11 hours ago, KittenKong said:

I wonder how that can work to prevent the build-up of cruddy black mould on the cage fan? My unit needs that mould removing every 4 months or so, and if it isn't done the thing just stops working completely.

But maybe your unit is not in use 24/7 like mine is. Units that are only used for a few hours a day probably dont get that mould build-up.

condenser fins are black and unclogged - non-restriction at all of my air intake, cover and air filter are gone

4 hours ago, tjo o tjim said:

@KittenKong are your filters clean?  Try keeping your fan on high and never open the windows during the day. 

Filters are cleaned fortnightly and are spotless. Fan is always on medium (I dont like strong fans). Windows are rarely opened.

I think it is just because my air-con is on all the time and the mould seems to like it. It isnt a problem at all though as a good spray every four months takes care of it in minutes.

2 hours ago, evilebxxx said:

condenser fins are black and unclogged - non-restriction at all of my air intake, cover and air filter are gone

Sure. My condenser fins are clean too. I was talking about the cage fan only. That is the only indoor part on mine that gets dirty.

Archived