BANGKOK
JimmyTheMook

Home Air Conditioners

From Samsung to Electrolux - are looking at any substantial difference in quality these days? 

I've never seen an Electrolux AC (?).  The favorite seems to be Daikin "inverter" for energy saving, quiet, and low problem.  (Well, that's my favorite from the 4 different brands I have had.)

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bankruatsteve said:

I've never seen an Electrolux AC (?).  The favorite seems to be Daikin "inverter" for energy saving, quiet, and low problem.  (Well, that's my favorite from the 4 different brands I have had.)

Maybe Electrolux is a new player and why I'm seeing them on sale at the local HomePro.

Often Daikin / Trane are the more pricey names - have gone with Samsung w/o real issue but need a 18,000 btu and shopping currently. 

OK.  Suggest "inverter" no matter what brand you decide.  Probably not much difference in the name brands these days.  

Posted (edited)

My dealings with Electrolux Thailand was as you imagine communicating with aliens on another planet would be. Parts for my appliance were not in Thailand but available at ridiculous cost and needed to be ordered from Europe.

I would give a no brand AC priority over anything Electrofux had on offer.

Stick with well known brands who have decent support and large stocks of parts available nationwide. Daikin has already been mentioned, Mitsubishi is another.     

Edited by Fruit Trader
  • Haha 1

I've had a mitsubishi 22kbtu inverter downstairs for about 3 years now, smooth quiet operation as one would expect...

I've had a 18kbtu hitachi conventional unit in operation in the upstairs bedroom for about 6 years, it's noisy but still puts out the same as when it was installed, sleep like a baby with my cuddly duvet...the hitachi is significantly cheaper to purchase and install prorating for the greater mitsu power...always keep them units clean and well maintained for the greatest benefit...

• Thanks 1

Fruit Trader shares my experiences on several brands including Electrolux on a local level. I've been very delighted with Panasonic Inverter, Samsung Inverter, Daikin Inverter air conditioners. 

I have an Electrolux vacuum cleaner. The warranty repair took 3 months and many motivating e-mails to get it back. I have 2 Daikin aircons. Never again. Also their hotline is from my experience there just for decoration. 

Pretty soon I want to buy 4 new aircons. I have heard Mitsubishi should be good. I am also thinking about LG and Samsung. I am afraid in the end you just can buy and hope the best.... Before I also had a cheap Midea and a very old Ami aircon. They never ever had a problem. 

Mitsubishi for nearly 10 yrs no issues, regularly serviced, gecko did fry one connection but other than that, faultless. Samsung in another area and that has also proved very good with only one minor issue in 6 years.

• Like 1

Daikin Inverter in our house, excellent and not expensive to run.

Old style Mitsubishi in our rooms for rent, effective and reliable but the compressors are a bit noisy.

Has anyone gone the 2nd hand route? I see them pop up on Facebook regularly. I'm talking from an air con shop, not just a one off from someone. They'd come with a warranty.

I had good luck with 2 18KBTU inverter Hitachi for about 2 years. Hitachi unit fan inside the condo is louder than a 18K BTU Mitsubishi (non inverter). Compressor on all units outside, are quite.

I recommend only the Japanese ACs, Hitachi, Mitsubishi, etc.

Hands down the best air conditioners are Mitsubishi inverter and super inverter units. 

Strong second place would probably go to Daikin inverter units. 

Buy Hitachi. Made in Thailand. Easy to get repair and parts for. Probably not the quietest, but reliable. 

I know Daiken has a presence in Thailand, but from experience they have gremlins that won't pop up until a year later (blown capacitors). Samsung is good, not cheap, and harder to find parts and service. Electrolux is the new kid on the block...I wouldn't touch them with a ten foot pole.

I'll second the comments on Mitsubishi inverter .. with one caveat.  We have has 2 for about 10 years.  Work great. One has had 2 main-board failures. Cost 8k from Bkk and 4k in kk (second failure).  But I still recommend them.